Author Topic: Jiggin Rap ?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jiggin Rap ?
« on: Jan 08, 2017, 02:46 PM »
I have been tryin to catch fish on them. I have marked fish coming up and lookin at it but don't eat it. Any ideas or thoughts on how to get them to eat it?
Thanks
Ian (Metalfish)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Jiggin Rap ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2017, 03:19 PM »
I quit using them. Seems like most the time of you have a fish on you will hook the edge of the ice with the free hook and the fish is gone as soon as that happens.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Add bait or a soft plastic to the treble.

Offline Allejo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:32 PM »
I quit using them. Seems like most the time of you have a fish on you will hook the edge of the ice with the free hook and the fish is gone as soon as that happens.

I wonder if they would still fish the same if you cut off the two hooks and left the treble.
Fish are like beer. After 10 I lose count.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2017, 05:38 PM »
I wonder if they would still fish the same if you cut off the two hooks and left the treble.
That works great BUT, put the treble on a 2 1/2" dropper of line or chain and bait it.     ;)2      Shhh.

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:10 AM »
I've done well with stocked trout on the 2nd smallest silver/black and pickerel seem to like the firetiger versions!

Offline ElectricSlide19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:21 PM »
One of my go to baits for walleyes and aggressive crappies. If they aren't interested try a smaller size or different color. If that does not work, then maybe try bait on the treble, but in my experience, that hurts the action. If all of that does not work, switch to a different bait because they are not interested in that particular action. Make sure you are working it correctly as well. I like dropping it on bottom 3 times, then reel up 2 turns, then raise your rod tip 12"-18" inches and let it call back down on a slack line. This will let the lure swing around in a figure 8 motion, then let it hang there. In my experience, the fish will hit it on the pause following you lifting the lure and letting it swing. Good luck!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2017, 01:28 AM »
Sometimes fish will crush them, sometimes they catch nothing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2017, 12:18 PM »
I always have one tied on for perch, or walleye. Always cut the front hook off. Bait treble with wax worm or a minnow head. If they sit and stare, gradually begin to life a few inches at a time stopping briefly. Sometimes they will follow for 4' before committing.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline walkinboss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2017, 06:12 AM »
Once you have them interested try twitching your rod tip rapidly to make the bait almost vibrate.

Offline rileys44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:02 PM »

It works great.  Its a good idea to put a bigger treble hook on for a more successful hook setting. 

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2017, 03:18 PM »
I fish them about 3' off the bottom. Fairly aggressive jig and a 10 second or so pause. When you mark a fish, jig and 10 second pause. If the fish slowly comes up jig again and stop the bait at least a foot above the fish. Usually during the pause the jig will be "swimming" back to center and when it comes to a stop the fish will strike. They hit raps hard. Don't let it just sit in front of them, keep it above them. If the don't rush after it just keep jigging. Lots of guys around here will snip the front hook off. Leave the treble and back hook. Very rarely do I use bait. If I do it's a minnow head on the treble. Put it on the hook of the treble that hangs towards the rear when holding the rap.

Offline Bubbadoyle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2017, 07:33 PM »
When I first started using them I caught nothing. Almost gave up on them. Once I figured out how to fish them I've done extremely well with them. I will use one anytime the fish are somewhat active. When they're not I fish a tungsten jig and plastic. I've probably caught 50% of my fish this year on a jigging rap or puppet minnow. I catch walleyes saugers whitebass and crappies on them. I'd say just keep using it and adjust your jigging technique until you figure it out. I can't really help you out with the jigging technique other than to say keep it above them and make them chase it. I rarely ever let it sit still. Once you figure it out I'd assume it will be a go to bait of yours. I mostly fish them naked but occasionally I do tip the treble with spikes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.