Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 819690 times)

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled!
« Reply #1020 on: Feb 09, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I've decided the track on my Smitty is too wide.  Out on 10" of soft powder today, started out -3F, pulled the sled 1 mile each way to where we were fishing.  I figured I would give it a day so we could walk in snowmobile tracks, and there were tracks but my Smitty is too wide.  Going to modify by bringing the skis closer together so they fit in a snowmobile track.

For you guys that build them to take apart, prolly would be smart to have a wide track/narrow track option.  They are OK over a little snow but with deep powder it is still a real haul.  Need to take advantage of those snowmobile tracks.

GREAT IDEA! I, too have had this problem. Matching the track would make life so much easier. Does anyone have a measurement of Snowmobiile tracks OR as I fear, there is no standard, unlike RR Track which are based on some Roman Chariot or something like that. I'm going to tinker with adjustable ski width come warmer weather.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1021 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Gonna start assembling stuff this week since the dog house will be done today.

As for how carry your wares, any thoughts on box with lid vs sled?

I have a sled, but it is like new and can be returned. Was thinking of going with a plastic footlocker type box so I could just throw it on the shelf for storage during the off-season. Rod holders could be mounted to the underside of the lid for holding them for storage. If I go that route, I will put it in the middle of the sled, put the auger on one side and the shanty on the other in little notches or brackets.

Thoughts on box vs sled?
James

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1022 on: Feb 09, 2014, 09:58 AM »
A box makes good sense. I have an open tub sled and twice this year we got 3 or 4 inches of snow while fishing, It ALL goes into the sled. The covered box would solve that problem. Consider the Rubbermaid Fast Track Mounting system for your auger and shanty. I have some pictures on this thread somewhere as does the person I stole the idea from. It works very well.
Please post pictures when you're done as I may consider dumping my tub in favor of a box with a lid.
Thanks,
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline flintster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1023 on: Feb 09, 2014, 02:19 PM »

Heres my Smitty Sled. With all the snow we have this week 30+ inches it will still plow but it will get the job done. My rope length seems to long what kind of lengths are you all using. Thanks it was fun and the kids think its great!

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1024 on: Feb 09, 2014, 04:34 PM »
Top knotch nessman, thanks for sharing your experience. Smitty

Thanks for the inspiration.  Of course - who said the Smitty Sled was just for ice fishing?  Screwed on a piece of plywood and viola! 

Took my daughter sledding today: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPkbOvcS4Y

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #1025 on: Feb 09, 2014, 07:20 PM »
way to go Dad, right into a tree  ;)

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1026 on: Feb 10, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I am not responsible.......just saying........I hope she was ok......
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Drillguy33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1027 on: Feb 10, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Mom: oh turn turn turn
Dad: laughing!

Yep about right!!
When I'm not fishing i'm thinking about fishing

Offline IceFishingNate

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Otter XT650 Cabin. Vexilar FL-18. Jiffy
« Reply #1028 on: Feb 11, 2014, 10:33 AM »
Haha great video!

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1029 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:16 AM »
1st poster here - Thought I'd show my version based on all the snooping I've done here on the topic.  A little background first:
A couple years ago I went out with some buddies for a night of bait drowning and libations - had a blast to say the least.  Last year I got an invite but didn't have gear of my own so I bought some gear from a former scout master relocating to FLA, never got a chance to use it before the season ended (work blahblahblah).

Not too long ago the stars aligned and I got out on the ice with a buddy and we had another blast - then the snow came, and more gear (shelter) and dragging the stuff became a chore.  Kiddie sleds, dragging coolers, multiple trips, etc. broke me - I need a sled to haul properly.  I'm "ice fishing" not "gear dragging" ferfawksake.

So when she offered up her little used skis for a Smitty Sled I knew I made a good choice when I bought that ring...

So a quick sketch of what I need, envision and desire was made.  I thought I'd be slick and use T nuts and eye bolts to hold the deck down - Yeah, that lasted 5 minutes.  Those holes became pegs and the deck became screwed to the cross members.  It had to be modular and fit in the back of my P-U with the tonneau closed.  The cooler and tote are a must with room for the ubiquitous items - a bucket and milk crate.

Details:
The skis are 5.5' long total, the deck is 2'x4' with 1-3/4 x 3/4 trim.  It is fastened by gravity and aligned with pegs to the runners, 2x6 towers notched for the cross members.  The rope is 25' long with a loop on the end so I can pull it as a deer drag-style - I think it needs to be shorter but I haven't loaded it up with a shelter yet, so far it's only been as you see + bait bucket.  It may be worth having the extra rope for a 2 man drag at full load.

I need to add some eyes or cleats for bungee mounts, JIC.  I plan to screw a bucket lid to the deck to permanently reserve space for the bait and help keep it from moving during transport.  The only odd item is the auger and I doubt I'll add anything to rack it on the sled.  I may change up the tote to be closer in height to the cooler which would help with the auger.

A work in progress but here it is:

Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1030 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:24 AM »
WHAT THE HECK?  I read all this waiting to see your picture and then NOTHING???? LOL   Do you have a photobucket account?
Gator Nation

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #1031 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:56 AM »
Back to our regularly scheduled program already in progress.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Creek Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1032 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Here is mine homemade sled/shelter:

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #1033 on: Feb 13, 2014, 01:05 AM »
Nice!
It is what it is....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1034 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Here is mine homemade sled/shelter:

Very nice.
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #1035 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Lefty how does that pull on the ice, that is just an awesome combo.

Offline Creek Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1036 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:42 AM »
Pulls real easy. orig had leftover pieces of paneling for the skis. They worked but broke quick. Buddy gave me old downhill skis, and they work amazing. I see people struggling with big sleds that a lot of people use. This glides nice and easy the skis are key.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #1037 on: Feb 13, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Pulls real easy. orig had leftover pieces of paneling for the skis. They worked but broke quick. Buddy gave me old downhill skis, and they work amazing. I see people struggling with big sleds that a lot of people use. This glides nice and easy the skis are key.
Creek freak.. Sent you a private message(PM)... Awesome shanty/sled
It is what it is....

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1038 on: Feb 13, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Lefty how does that pull on the ice, that is just an awesome combo.
Wrong name.
<===Lefty===

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1039 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Sorry Lefty, Thanks Creak freak

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1040 on: Feb 16, 2014, 11:24 PM »
Anyone have an issue with their smitty sled pulling sort of hard after being on the snow for a while? Mine pulled harder today after being on the ice for about 4 hours.  I wonder if I had some ice or snow stuck to the bottom of my skis.
jbird68

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1041 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:56 AM »
wax the skis

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1042 on: Feb 17, 2014, 01:11 PM »
wax the skis

X2....or Armor All......
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1043 on: Feb 17, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Well, I got my skis. Picked up a pair of Volant metal capped skis. 6' long so a little longer than I wanted, but the price was right and I like the metal cap from a longevity standpoint when drilling through the ski. For $9 if they don't work out I'll try something else.

Now to get the rest of it done.
James

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #1044 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:37 AM »
Built my smitty sled and used it on the river. what a difference. Only thing wrong was my measurement of the clam flip over I put on it. I measured the top not realizing that the bottom was smaller, now my cross pieces are too far apart and the tub falls down between. I have some 1/4in plywood that I will put on the cross pieces to make the top flat, and ratchet strap everything to that. I like the idea of leaving the flipover on the sled while fishing going to try that next trip. I'm also going to add a crosspiece of plywood to the front of the ski's and put my 10lb propane tank there instead of in the shanty. Thanks everybody for the tips and pics of your builds, and again smitty, I'm buying if you get up to Saginaw Bay in Michigan.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1045 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:40 AM »
Id be care full putting too much weight in the front of the skis mine seems to be tougher to pull when I do that.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1046 on: Feb 18, 2014, 11:36 AM »
silly question, but it just popped in my head... anyone try water skis skinned with uhmw plastic?

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1047 on: Feb 18, 2014, 02:01 PM »
back in the early 80's I built a sled using water skis. Was not happy with the way it pulled. If anyone would like it I would sell it cheap.

Offline fishinpo1e1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1048 on: Feb 18, 2014, 04:08 PM »
silly question, but it just popped in my head... anyone try water skis skinned with uhmw plastic?
I tried it out on cross country ski, Smitty Sled. 3/4" X 3/4" from curve bottom to back of ski, 5' long. Cut an angle in front to ease the entry.
Pulled like I had a semi hooked to me. Wouldn't turn on a dime. Overall a pain especially in slush and snow. Looking at ski bottom I think the plastic could be uhmw.
I removed the cross country skis and the uhmw and added full size snow skis.
Pulls much better. If you get UHMW, go thin and as wide as the ski. My sled is heavy and carries a Shappel two man shed, 4 buckets, flasher, Buddy heater, auger, shovel. Its too heavy. Will spend more time getting ready for next year lightening the load. I think the skis are essential but I will go with aluminum for the frame and as lite as possible. I have pics posted somewhere on this topic of my sled.

Offline culp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1049 on: Feb 26, 2014, 05:56 AM »
here's our sled...built with nicjohnsrud who posted the mini smitty on the previous page...he did more working, i did more PBRing.

broke down
(Image removed from quote.)

assembled

ths skis

SHAKE I have to know where you got the Pabst sticker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.