The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Martinsdale Reservoir is ON FIRE for Fat Trout!  (Read 10023 times)

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Martinsdale Reservoir is ON FIRE for Fat Trout!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:26 PM »
I mean everyone except you Herb lol :)

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #61 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:30 PM »
In my best Elvis voice, Thank You, Thank You Very Much. ;D
wish you many hook-ups

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Everybody thinks that there spot is special and nobody knows about it.  Sorry, that's not the case.  Anyone with Google Earth and the internets can figure these things out.  Trust me, I'm not running over to Martinsdale to go fishing.

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:06 PM »
Everybody thinks that there spot is special and nobody knows about it.  Sorry, that's not the case.  Anyone with Google Earth and the internets can figure these things out.  Trust me, I'm not running over to Martinsdale to go fishing.

Extremely naive

Offline Kscall

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Martinsdale Reservoir is ON FIRE for Fat Tr
« Reply #64 on: Jan 10, 2019, 02:50 PM »
I've lived in Martinsdale my whole life.  Social media has definitely very much hurt every aspect of the outdoor life style here. That being said I can't make anyone stop posting what they want. I just wish people would post more about other people's spots so I can go fish and hunt their stuff since this area is hit so hard anymore. Not saying that Martinsdale reservoir is currently overfished but the cycle has came through before. The hunting in this area has been destroyed because of social media though.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #65 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for the insight and first hand experience....even though it sucks...

Offline Kscall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:12 PM »
Lol no problem.   The fishing at the lake is currently fine.  The overall outdoor experience in this area has just taken a massive hit over the last decade.  A large part of that is social media. That being said I'm on here trying to figure out new spots so I'm part of the issue. I just wish people wouldn't draw as much attention as possible to the area.  I like the Montana fishing and ice report forum.  It lets people have an idea of what's going on but still have to figure stuff out for ourselves.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish, and than fish some more!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:16 PM »
Lol no problem.   The fishing at the lake is currently fine.  The overall outdoor experience in this area has just taken a massive hit over the last decade.  A large part of that is social media. That being said I'm on here trying to figure out new spots so I'm part of the issue. I just wish people wouldn't draw as much attention as possible to the area.  I like the Montana fishing and ice report forum.  It lets people have an idea of what's going on but still have to figure stuff out for ourselves.

Out of curiosity have you visited the lake in the last 5 days or driven by it since you live right next to it? I am curious if there has been a massive uptick of people on the ice in the last 5 days?

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Grizzlyhackle, I guess I'm "extremely naive", but I fish hard enough and use the tools provided that I can find good spots for any species.  Sorry, it might be your secret spot.

Has anyone noticed that the population is increasing as well.  That could be a reason for higher fishing pressures.

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Keeping your mouth shut should be one of the first rules of a good fisherman, but to help the naive folks that don't quite get the big picture, here is a good blog post that basically sums it up:

http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/fishcast/has-social-media-ruined-fishing-spots/

"The methodology to gaining information isn’t what it used to be. Gone are the days of being adventurous, making personal discoveries, and finding honey holes on your own."

Offline Kscall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Actually massive is not the right term.  Comparative to a week ago there have been quite a few people though.  And none of them are locals. Still not a ton of people by Any stretch compared to other lakes. But Martinsdale does not handle pressure well.  I've fished it a lot for 35 years now and my family has for long before that.  There are not many good spots and they get pounded.  Especially on years like this where there are only pockets of good ice. Also be careful on it this year.  There are a ton of little half acre holes next to really good ice that freeze over and Open every couple days.  I have never seen ice like it before here.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:50 PM »
I guess the question at this point is WHY you want to name a lake? Seems to me it would make no
difference.

Then I guess the next question why you are not just accepting what even the locals are telling you rather than just saying that you don’t care what others think and move on.

At this point I have no idea what your motivation is in terms of making and posting videos in the first place. If you say it is a public service, it seems to me most will disagree. There is a real threat to the resource by doing so especially on smaller lakes. I also lived in ND when in the AF when they waters were rising and fish came back. 1000 acre lakes got raped and trashed through over fishing when the word got out. This is exactly why tv guys never disclose exact locations. Now you obviously not get that much exposure but the principle is the same.

So back to the real question, what do have to gain by hot spotting? Why are you defending it so vehemently?

Tinker

« Reply #72 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Video posted in a forum specifically for ice fishing in MT, in a year with a lack of ice and a title that proclaims "ON FIRE for Fat Trout".  Might as well have posted "Free Beer!  All you can drink"   

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #73 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:55 PM »
waiting.....

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:56 PM »
Actually massive is not the right term.  Comparative to a week ago there have been quite a few people though.  And none of them are locals. Still not a ton of people by Any stretch compared to other lakes. But Martinsdale does not handle pressure well.  I've fished it a lot for 35 years now and my family has for long before that.  There are not many good spots and they get pounded.  Especially on years like this where there are only pockets of good ice. Also be careful on it this year.  There are a ton of little half acre holes next to really good ice that freeze over and Open every couple days.  I have never seen ice like it before here.

Thanks for your response! Appreciate your insight! If you had to put a number on it, how many people at a time have you seen out on the ice the last 4-5 days?  I am trying to get a better idea of what you mean by "quite a few".  I wouldn't be surprised if there were 10-15 people out there during a good day, but not 50-150 like some people have been claiming would happen.

I definitely noticed the ice was sketchy in certain areas, brought a spud bar and the amount it varied near the open water was scary.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #75 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:02 PM »
why you are not just accepting what even the locals are telling you rather than just saying that you don’t care what others think and move on

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Your obviously missing the point boomer. Also the first fish was a sucker not a whitefish.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:10 PM »
Keeping your mouth shut should be one of the first rules of a good fisherman, but to help the naive folks that don't quite get the big picture, here is a good blog post that basically sums it up:

http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/fishcast/has-social-media-ruined-fishing-spots/

"The methodology to gaining information isn’t what it used to be. Gone are the days of being adventurous, making personal discoveries, and finding honey holes on your own."
I would like to hear what boomerW the F has to say about this link that grizhack shared...which I find spot on.....

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Your obviously missing the point boomer. Also the first fish was a sucker not a whitefish.
yep.....

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:25 PM »
I guess the question at this point is WHY you want to name a lake? Seems to me it would make no
difference.

Then I guess the next question why you are not just accepting what even the locals are telling you rather than just saying that you don’t care what others think and move on.

At this point I have no idea what your motivation is in terms of making and posting videos in the first place. If you say it is a public service, it seems to me most will disagree. There is a real threat to the resource by doing so especially on smaller lakes. I also lived in ND when in the AF when they waters were rising and fish came back. 1000 acre lakes got raped and trashed through over fishing when the word got out. This is exactly why tv guys never disclose exact locations. Now you obviously not get that much exposure but the principle is the same.

So back to the real question, what do have to gain by hot spotting? Why are you defending it so vehemently?

I will answer your question by first explaining why I make videos:
I make videos because I am passionate about sharing my love of fishing with others and because I genuinely enjoy creating entertaining videos that promote fishing.  YouTube fishing channels in general have generated a huge interest in fishing, especially among the younger generation, and have led to very many positive things for the industry and all of the anglers and businesses who depend on the fishing industry for their livelihood.  If I make a fishing video on a publicly known body of water, one that is literally listed on FWP's website as a popular fishing destination, then I have had no problem with naming the location so that others may choose to go enjoy the sport of fishing in that same location.  I have been doing this regularly for 2 years now and have never noticed any side effects of this hobby or received any criticism of doing this until now. 

I do care about what the locals are saying and I also care about what you are saying.  I wouldn't spend this much time defending myself against like 10 random people on the internet just to defend myself.  I am asking kscall for more clarity and inquiring about it, as well as reading every single post and responding to the ones that challenge my viewpoint and make me think and reconsider. It has been difficult to do this when a vast majority of people posting are giving accounts of random things that happened on other bodies of water when the fishing community found out about it.

At this point, it is seeming more and more worth it to not name a location, just simply to avoid all of the negative perceptions and hostility from people that don't agree with me.  I would much rather have an engaging and thought provoking conversation with someone over a beer on the ice then to have a group of strangers online post comment after comment of baseless accusations along with assumptions of my motives and character.  I didn't realize it would be this toxic and regret even posting it here now, so congratulations to all of the people who are against me.   

Sharing a video of your ice fishing adventure on a forum literally dedicated to sharing about your ice fishing adventures shouldn't receive this much hate and hostility.  Disappointing to say the least.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:27 PM »

I understand the point, I just don't agree with it.
I know, I was told that by a subscriber within 5 minutes of the video going live.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:30 PM »

Posting a blog post of one anglers opinion of how social media has been detrimental to "secret spots" is not really evidence for anything.

I read through the entire article.  Not once did he list evidence or post studies or statistics or anything.  All just meaningless conjecture and assumptions.    Also how is this applicable to this situation, this isn't a "secret spot".  You can look it up on FWP's website easily and is listed as a fishing destination in a google search.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #82 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:34 PM »
im literally dumbfounded at this point.  But i bet we get more justifications.....

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:37 PM »
im literally dumbfounded at this point.  But i bet we get more justifications.....

x10

Offline lspower

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:43 PM »
is there perch in that Res?
Catch and release into bacon grease

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Being as new to this sport as you are I guess its not suprising that you haven't clearly seen issues reguarding increased pressure and over use. You make the argument that Montana's population is so low that there is no possible way for increased pressure to negatively affect any users experience. Ive been fishing long enough to personally see the increased use and pressure on local waters on an annual basis. You're entitled to an opinion, but you just dont have the experience to base that opinion on facts. Others here do have that experience and our opinion that social media ruins honey holes is not anecdotal, nor does it need to be validated by your opinion in order for it to be true. Nationally hunting and fishing numbers may not be growing, however as a state our user groups increase annually as well as our population. You can disagree all You want, but based off the majority of responses to this post alone should make you seriously question whether you want to provide details like this in the future. I wouldn't dare ask a stranger where they harvested their deer or elk, and if I was asked for that information I would instantly judge their character. Fishing is no different in my opinion and information regarding success should be held close to one's heart. Unless your fishing for likes and follows, then I guess all is fair.

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:58 PM »

I'm literally dumbfounded that you continue to comment on this post while literally adding nothing positive or valuable to the conversation. 

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 10, 2019, 04:59 PM »
is there perch in that Res?
LOL, wrong time and post man, but I have never caught a perch there to answer your question.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #88 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:01 PM »
I'm literally dumbfounded that you continue to comment on this post while literally adding nothing positive or valuable to the conversation.
Reread all the posts pal....and I wonder who youre i'ming  :whistle:
Dozens of people have added plenty of value, but your ignorance overwhelms it...

Offline BoomerFTW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:02 PM »
Being as new to this sport as you are I guess its not suprising that you haven't clearly seen issues reguarding increased pressure and over use. You make the argument that Montana's population is so low that there is no possible way for increased pressure to negatively affect any users experience. Ive been fishing long enough to personally see the increased use and pressure on local waters on an annual basis. You're entitled to an opinion, but you just dont have the experience to base that opinion on facts. Others here do have that experience and our opinion that social media ruins honey holes is not anecdotal, nor does it need to be validated by your opinion in order for it to be true. Nationally hunting and fishing numbers may not be growing, however as a state our user groups increase annually as well as our population. You can disagree all You want, but based off the majority of responses to this post alone should make you seriously question whether you want to provide details like this in the future. I wouldn't dare ask a stranger where they harvested their deer or elk, and if I was asked for that information I would instantly judge their character. Fishing is no different in my opinion and information regarding success should be held close to one's heart. Unless your fishing for likes and follows, then I guess all is fair.

1st: I am not new to the sport, just the Ice Fishing side of it.
2nd: of course increased pressure and overuse would affect a fishery, that literally isn't the argument at all
3rd: hunting is a whole different animal (literally and figuratively) that I would rather not get into here seeing as how unbeneficial the discourse has been

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.