The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike on Tip-ups  (Read 1992 times)

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike on Tip-ups
« on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:19 PM »
What type of rig do people use to catch pike on tip ups? Steel leaders or thick mono? One or two hooks? Single octopus hooks or treble hooks? Also anyone used a jaw jacker for pike before? Just curious the most effective set up. Thanks.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike on Tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:54 PM »
Quick set rigs. Youtube them.

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:57 PM »
mono and treble hooks

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Everybody has their own style and they probably all work for them.  I personally use about 4' of 20 lbs fluorocarbon for my leader, with a splitshot and treble.  I have had some break offs, but I have found using fluorocarbon increases my action and not to mention I usually am hoping for a walleye to be on the other end, that's why I don't use steel leaders.  If you youtube "JawJacker, Fort Peck" you can watch some guys catching a pile of pike on JawJackers.   

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:46 PM »
I've caught pike on a jaw jacker but you need the right rod and fishing big baits (which I do a lot) you will miss a number of fish even with a quick strike rig.  They often grab and reposition before moving off and the initial thump set the trigger.  Smaller baits they just inhale and you'd be ok.  I use a Zero rig or a Y harness with two trebles, one behind the head and one above the anal fin for bigger baits.  After they get a good handle on the bait and start to move off they will have at least one treble in their mouth and you can set right away.  I rarely miss fish and they are almost never hooked to deep to release which is important to me on those bigger fish.  If I'm using smaller baits and especially if I'm fishing walleye/pike I use a single octopus hook on 25-30 lb fluorocarbon. Hook bait thru the skin near the dorsal fin with the hook point towards the head. Nice mix between bite protection and fooling fish that are a little line shy.  Both rigs have worked great for me.

Offline jcmontgo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2015, 08:15 PM »
With live minnows, especially smaller minnows, 10-20lb flouro a bead a small split shot and a small treble. Dead bait I think you if you start using bigger(6"+) bait, two hooks are very necessary, usually small trebles. Wire leader on dead bait is something I'm still up in the air about myself. Not sure its necessary if your watching your tip ups but overnight its probably a good idea.

Offline MTWALLEYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:37 AM »
We were using steel leader quick strike rigs, but are now going away from that. The steel leader had too much memory. Now I have 20lb fluorocarbon leader with a bead and a treble. I use 2 for dead bait and one if I can use a live minnow.

Offline TGH - TShep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Treble Hooks with smelt or herring, Steel Leader, and Gorilla Braid hanging from tip-up.
Team Goin' HOT!!!

Offline montanapiker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2015, 01:52 PM »
30lb dacron, single hook.  i've never had a break off

Offline JohnMcN1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2015, 03:35 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I have lots of options it sounds like.   :)

Offline montanaflyman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Am I old fashioned or what? On the no-live-minnow lakes I'm using Swedish Pike Hooks with smelt about 4 ft. off the bottom. Been doing it forever and still doing well.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Anyone have a source for frozen herring?

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2015, 06:34 PM »
Sportsmans in Missoula has them.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2015, 07:59 PM »
Thanks...wrong direction sadly. Smelt is is next week I guess.

Offline peduncle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Small smelt usually available in Helena at Sportsmans Warehouse.

Offline hntnfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Hook large treble directly onto 40# ice-line or steel leader when under a tip-up about half the time and on heavy flouro (if hoping to catch Walleye too).  I think Pike could care less about the visibility of the line.  I use a pretty big treble hook for Pike too when at Peck and smaller where I expect them to be smaller.  Large live minnow or large Smelt on treble direct to the ice line or steel leader when all I'm after is Pike or Ling.  Flouro when after Walleye or Pike with smaller treble and a swivel somewhere in the first 2'.  Sinkers always at least a foot above.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Small smelt usually available in Helena at Sportsmans Warehouse.

We can get smelt at most grocery stores (a lot cheaper than at sporting shops) Herring are producing for us at DL about two to one over smelt.

Goldeyes are all going in the freezer this summer. I think the oil is the key.

Offline pricklyperch1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:11 AM »
I use a small steel leader with a treble hook (sz.4). Its simple, and if it gets chewed up easy to fix on the ice. Works great and have not lost a lot of pike with this setup.  Sometimes you even pick up a nice walleye!

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2015, 06:04 PM »
standard 10lb test and a steel leader... 90% of the pike you will most likely catch will be under 10lbs.  Why rip a fish in when you can play it?  Single treble under dorsal has always worked good for me, let them run with it a bit then after they stop to turn it in their mouth and start running again set the hook.  Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.