The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody been out around Helena yet?  (Read 9975 times)

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
Re: Anybody been out around Helena yet?
« Reply #60 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Dude don't waist your time. They r dink walleye! I'm not to sure about taking a wheeler.

Offline untouchable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 12, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas! Not sure if we are headed back out there this evening or tomorrow night but definately gonna grab some beer and give it a shot.

Offline fuzz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 12, 2013, 06:06 PM »
a guy was rippin a wheeler around lastnight but not to lines n theres about 8" n ya the eyes are kinda dinks like 14" n skinny

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 14, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Went to spring ghetto today... It sucked. Time to try somewhere else
its better to have hooked and lost then to never have hooked at all.

Offline Punchahole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:23 PM »
I hit causeway last night the weather was great! The bite was lite and slight. Marked a few fish and the bite was very light . Tap, tap, tap reverse action and nothing. Tried letting them eat it and had one to the hole and well you have been there. Glow baits seemed to get more action. All you can do is go and see what happens. Heading to MN and going to lake of the wood to get my fix. That is where you can get into some ture iPods. I'll try the arm here in a few days. Good luck to all and be safe.

Offline bigskygal1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:46 PM »
The Causeway was producing up by the powerlines today for sure.  The bunch of us landed 12 trout and one small walleye and the ice where we were was 15 inches of nice clear ice.  The bites kept us hopping the entire time we were there.  Didn't matter what color the jig was, but they liked worms better than maggots.

Offline Punchahole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 14, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Big sky gal did ya walk out or wheeler?

Offline bigskygal1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 15, 2013, 09:32 AM »
We walked out since we didn't know the ice depth.  It's 15 inches out by the powerlines and nice and clear, good enough for a 4-wheeler.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Be sure to drill your way if you do take a wheeler, the stretch from the powerlines to that next bend in the arm does some weird stuff....better safe than sorry

Offline Blaney68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:57 PM »
went out to the causeway the other night and caught 3 ling 2 trout and a couple dink walleyes. all were on tip ups with little chunks of smelt
When in doubt, drill Holes and figure them out

Offline spear1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 15, 2013, 09:26 PM »
We was at the causeway Friday night, caught 17 dink eyes an 4 trout 70 yards off shore... Ice was only maybe 5-6 inches were we was at.. closer we got to the channel the thinner it got, one hole we drilled was about 2in...

Offline Blaney68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 16, 2013, 03:40 PM »
i was just wondering if anyone would be interesting in going fishing at the causeway some night this week at the causeway. i am always looking for someone new to fish with. if someone is interested just shoot me a pm.

Offline Chilled Feet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 16, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Spent an hour at Spring Meadow on Friday morning and caught tree bows. 2 were 15" and one 13", swedish pimple 20' water.

Offline Blaney68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 18, 2013, 12:47 PM »
walked out to the powerline last night but the ice was popping and cracking and kept hearing something like a presure ridge open and shooting water. the ice was safe more then safe we measured 13.5 inches of ice and it was nice thick ice the whole way and we only got one bite the two hours we braved it out up there then went back to the causeway fishing "community" area and caught one trout and watched one group catch a couple more trout.  other then that we had a pretty slow night.

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 18, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Hit the regulating reservoir from 8am-1:30pm and got one dink perch. Rope snapped on buddy's auger on his second pull. Thank goodness for hand augers! Couldn't find the salmon, and from the sound of it, neither could anyone else this morning. Beautiful morning on the ice, in between gusts.
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #75 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Hey guys I wanna try out by black sandy. I'm looking for perch or walleye. Is it any good out there?  I'm trying to leave canyon ferry alone so hopefully the perch population will grow

Offline T Mac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Dec 19, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Trucks on the ice at Silos yesterday.

NOT!

Offline fuzz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Ya its an ok spot found em out it 50 ft of water n they where suspended in about 30 off white sandy but ice is sketchy there but haven't fished it in years thru ice

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:15 PM »

NOT!
I really doubt you leaving Canyon Ferry alone, will really matter one tiny bit.   But going there and pulling few walleye out, some trout and about 1,000,000 carp should help a bit.   We did find perch on the South Point in October across from Black Sandy in Late October if that helps.   35 feet of water.

TMAC-Old subject, that was a report from the ladies at Silos.     Welcome though, I think.

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #79 on: Dec 19, 2013, 09:38 PM »
I really doubt you leaving Canyon Ferry alone, will really matter one tiny bit.   But going there and pulling few walleye out, some trout and about 1,000,000 carp should help a bit.   We did find perch on the South Point in October across from Black Sandy in Late October if that helps.   35 feet of water.

TMAC-Old subject, that was a report from the ladies at Silos.     Welcome though, I think.

Thanks bud. And I haven't hit canyon ferry for two years. I hope more people follow my suite

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Me too.

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #81 on: Dec 19, 2013, 10:21 PM »
They are talking about decreasing the limit again.... That should be a sign to everyone to leave the perch alone for a while

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:14 AM »
They are talking about decreasing the limit again.... That should be a sign to everyone to leave the perch alone for a while
I agree, if FWP unwilling to introduce another kind of forage fish to feed the walleye and now pike, something has to give.  I admit the perch are huge and it doesn't take many to make a meal, but each year it has gotten harder and harder to get that 15 fish limit.  I'm afraid that eventually it will be impossible to fill a 5 fish limit.  Having no limit on pike isn't going to get rid of them just like it didn't get rid of the walleye.  FWP needs to embrace this great new game fish and plan accordingly.  Canyon Ferry has the potential to be a great multi-specie fishery if they'd just manage it like Ft. Peck or Tiber.  Unfortunately, speckled carp unlimited has deep pockets...
MT

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:24 AM »
Well said MTJohn
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:51 AM »
We caught perch all summer while trolling for walleye,big ones.The people who know where to find them are having no trouble finding them now.If the perch were as bad off as they try to make it sound(results from ONE spring sample netting with water levels completely different from prior years,and mind you they didnt hardly catch any walleye either) the wouldnt have approved a PERCH fishing tournament and slightly reduced the limit.The guys who cant find perch say they are gone,the guys who hammer them know different.
Catch and release,into BACON GREASE!

Offline fuzz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:54 AM »
try white sandy off the cliff side if ya have a camera it works really well its a drop off n fish it toward night

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 20, 2013, 08:58 AM »
The numbers are definitely down from 30 years ago when everyone's grampa was out there taking buckets full of fish home. What baffles me is the way that Fwp changes sentiments towards perch in this one lake when brow beating walleye as the cause is an option. Look at the rest of the state and you'll see no perch restrictions, they outright encourage over-harvest...but since the mean old walleye in canyon ferry are just decimating perch populations now it needs to be managed for the perch.

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Even when Grandpa was pulling 100 a day they wernt the caliber of perch we catch today,not even close.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #88 on: Dec 20, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Having only lived here for maybe 15 years, were there always so many carp in CF?

Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline HolePounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 20, 2013, 03:10 PM »
I can remember a few years back they were thicker than they are now but I dont know about 20 years ago,there used to be a guy who harvested them commercially around here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.