The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: East Bay, Flathead Lake  (Read 8874 times)

Offline streamside

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: East Bay, Flathead Lake
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:25 PM »
Hey Coldcreek, don't beat yourself up, everyone has an off day. The access isn't as bad as you think, you can't park right down at the lake, but you can park along the little lane that goes down there, no trespassing necessary. If Skidoo Bay freezes, I'll be happy to fish over there with anyone who wants to, I have lots of access. 
There are so many things that are true, even if they never really happened

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:00 PM »
Hey Coldcreek, don't beat yourself up, everyone has an off day. The access isn't as bad as you think, you can't park right down at the lake, but you can park along the little lane that goes down there, no trespassing necessary. If Skidoo Bay freezes, I'll be happy to fish over there with anyone who wants to, I have lots of access.
thanks man...felt like a jerk this morning....I actually have an in right across the lane from the gate....I do know some in the trailer park behind the smokehouse who have their own little path that they take with their kids to the water.....the only reason why I was saying be careful...is that wind and current comes up something fierce out of the north from blue bay....and a skiff of snow could be dangerous this time of yr....tip ups and ice skates is always a fun way to spend the day..... in so many spots along the state a quad or machine will get ya there....but once there....nothing covers the same ground as some good steel on your feet in between flags....going to hit g town next week...and possibly the sinkhole near perma....rock out with your rod out!!!! and if you see ski or skate tracks.....its probably me... I would highly recommend skates/skis  to anyone....setting up atent with a mister heater and a thermos of hot chochalate can always buy the family man an extra hr on the ice.as long as the lady has chochalate and the kids are warm....money well spent....

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2013, 11:13 PM »
oh by the way streamside.. if you want to catch some bows and cuts...come down to this end of the valley.....I was trolling in my sea kayak in early October and just hammered em....I can't promise anything but I got a good feeling they are in the same spot.....pm if you want....

Offline old retired fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:57 AM »
is there enough ice for a 4 wheeler.i can' walk very far.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:13 PM »
how far can you walk???? I would gladly carry your gear and auger a hole for ya until there is safe ice for your quad.....

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:19 PM »
^like!

Offline trout406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2013, 01:39 PM »
any advice on where on ducharme access east bay I should try. never been and don't know how far to go out. Any other advice would be great never caught a laker.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #37 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:00 PM »
One parking spot is all there is on Ducharme. Start walking and drilling holes in 1' of water until you get tired of walking. Seems like I have done better on perch towards the east ( towards the mtns )

Offline trout406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:03 PM »
so for the lake trout head a little west. is that right or do I want to be in with the perch. 1' of water? so that's very close to shore then I assume

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #39 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:19 PM »
Anyone think the entire, or most of the lake will freeze this year???

Offline old retired fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:17 PM »
how far can you walk???? I would gladly carry your gear and auger a hole for ya until there is safe ice for your quad.....
Thank's coldcreek.I do pretty good if there's little snow and I pack lite,as that's what I always did.It's Just that I got this quad so I can start using an ice hut.But thank's again,I appreciate the offer,very cool!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:20 PM »
congrats on the new quad!!!! I know if I had a new quad I'd want to use it all the time..hell.. I probably bring it in my living room and just sit on it....in the future...if you ever need any help in areas where quads are prohibited....such as ninepipes or Pablo... just let me know.. I think we all are hardcore fishers and it would be a shame if someone wanted to fish...but was unsure of their ability to have access and stayed home.....the rocks around the dams at ninepipes and Pablo can be tricky.....i would be more than happy to carry your gear to and from the truck....yes a kind gesture....but a no brainer to get someone on the ice.....enjoy that new toy!!!!

Offline Cold toes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Yeah I wish we could do something about the access at Pablo. Heck I'm young and it's hard on me

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:35 PM »
you can go to the south end and pull thru the dogwood shrubs....which is easier....maybe you hit some of the big perch....the bigger numbers are straight out from the pumphouse....but those rocks are brutal.....I am a mason by trade.....maybe I should spend a few hrs and drystack a walkway down to the ice....I hear ya.. I fall on my ass every time I try to get down those rocks...

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Yes, pablo is absolutely horrible.  Can't believe that there hasn't been an adequate access installed.  That access must destroy a bunch of gear every year, not to mention cause a few heart attacks!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:56 PM »
exactly....that's why I choose less fish to access from the south.....I really think that a few hrs....2 or 3.. with 2 guys....we could make a nice path...I would be willing to do it if anyone else thinks its something they would do..if not...I will access from the south end..put on my skates or skis and fish the more prolific grounds....I am sick of half inch shavings coming off the bottom of my sled...having to walk back up to a turned sled...like I said... I am willing to cut a path thru the rocks.....until opening in mid January.....there will be no one up there to be in our face.....wardens etc...pm me if you want to help out...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #46 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Your going to have to find a different hoddie, my shoulders still from the last time I did it 12 years ago;) didn't there used to be a crushed gravel trail down the front of the damn?

Offline tscott1632

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:16 PM »
i like it ccc

Offline Hydro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:20 PM »
I'm hitting East Bay tomorrow.  If you are out there come say hi.  1999 Black Toyota Tacoma with Missoula tags.  Black no-brand shanty with two guys.  I'm the tall skinny guy with a pair of orange ice spikes around my neck.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:44 PM »
oh my...wish I could hit east bay tomorrow...gonna watch the griz game....you know that everyone goes straight out from ducharme....but if you go out straight.....take a right a few hundred yds. toward the back of the bay...get in to 6 to 8 feet of water....that is an option.....big lakers sometimes come in there as well.....sunday I will be fishin at m dam....easy trout...then off to the sinkhole along the river...then g town next week.....

Offline e_k_2450

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 07, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Anybody caught any decent perch in East?

Offline Flyfish406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2013, 06:56 PM »
How thick was the ice out there today, and did anyone get into the perch.

Offline JRJ3348

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Hydro, any luck out there on East Bay?  Need to get out of the house this weekend, hoping someone has some good ice and fishing reports!  Thanks!

Offline jengel24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 11, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Just curious if anyone is willing to share their set-ups for Macs.  I went out a few times last year and used 3/8 oz minnow head jig and 3inch stinger with a whole herring and actively jigged.  I also set up a tip up with a quick strike rig and let a herring sit on the bottom.  Best day was 5 with one slot fish for two guys.  Any input would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 11, 2013, 01:48 PM »
@ jengel24,

Once you post like 5 times you'll get access to the Fishing Report and Condition page. You'll find everything you'll need to know about targeting Mac on Flathead. If you were able to land 5 fish in the past you are definitely doing it right. I've seen day of 21 Mac landed to none the next day, in the same spot. I never done any good with herring, but try to bring more then just one type of bait; example being pike minnow, smelt, cut bait, and even the famous "Maple" sausages! Variation in suspending your setup will help too. Once you find the correct depth and spot, drill holes in a 10-15yd radius and start jigging with your jig of choice.

Offline wells

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 11, 2013, 02:53 PM »
I am planning a trip to fish Flathead the 27th of this month.  Does the ice typically hold up all winter in the bays after the first freeze?  I am little leery of booking a motel room this early.  Thank You for any info!!

Offline jengel24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for the advice!  Weather pending I'll be heading up Friday!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #57 on: Dec 11, 2013, 03:59 PM »
They are swimming stomachs, you are over thinking it. I've never seen them not hit anything you put in fron of their faces in east bay. I can think of several times I have had a Mac come in and inhale a jig, I set the hook and since the water is so shallow they pop right up to the ice and come off. I've put the jig right back down the hole and they will hit once and sometimes a couple more time.
As far as ice....just keep an eye on the weather and the reports page. All the ice gained last week could be gone by next week.....

Offline jengel24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2013, 04:14 PM »
I've fished them before in Minnesota, but never in that shallow of water.  It seems like there are some simple tactics that work and all you need to do is find fish in good numbers.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Dec 11, 2013, 04:33 PM »
Anyone have a report since all this snow fell.  Think i'll head up tomorrow.  Just wanted a heads up on the ice/snow conditions.  How far out are people making it?  I'll report back with what I find.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.