The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice on G-Town  (Read 9721 times)

Offline RichardD

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice on G-Town
« Reply #60 on: Dec 18, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Has anyone ever fished that Silver lake up by Georgetown???????????????????????????

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:54 AM »
Has anyone ever fished that Silver lake up by Georgetown???????????????????????????

Yeah.  Relatively deep, (100+ ft. when full). Lakers, bows, kokes, bull trout.  Probably more, but everything is few and far between.  Not a lot of vegetation in the lake, so not a lot of food.  The few fish that are caught are usually of respectable size, though. 

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #62 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:30 AM »
Extracted from the book Under the Shadow of Mt. Haggin:
The Story of Anaconda and Deer Lodge County from 1863-1975. 
A Bicentennial Year “Heritage” Project.  Collected and compiled
by the Deer Lodge County History Group.  1975.
SILVER AND GEORGETOWN LAKES
This was written by A. C. Howard.   Pages 46-47.

"Silver Lake is approximately 4 miles in circumference, clear, cold and practically fishless due to, it is thought, the constantly changing depth and interaction of two contrasting lake ecologies.  Its average depth is about 100 feet and, contrary to eerie tales of bottomlessness and being siphoned by an underground river..."

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline pump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:06 PM »
fished G-town on friday. 20 fow used everything in the tackle box. lots of fish on the "Showdown". Iced 0 got a few hits on red,white & blue power bait. no hit on anything else.
I was @ Dentons point Fri from 7:30-noon. I kept 3 trout and 8 salmon. Most of the salmon were spawners, trout were 1.5 lbs, 2 1/4 lbs and 3 lbs. I threw the box at them and had the best luck with white early and green after 9. THe biggest fish was on a red-orange flame colored dot jig. Maggots & power bait fake maggots were on the tip.

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:59 PM »
I fished with 3 maggots, pyrozukki, and i c on Sunday.  I caught 1 rainbow on a ratfinki and 1 silver on a prince nymph.  We fished from 8AM till 2PM.  I certainly missed more than that though.

Offline wolfkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old women she might be worth one donkey!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:50 PM »
any body try around the pump house this week. im headed up saturday. or sunnyside?

Offline iceotter88

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Catch and Release in bacon grease.
« Reply #66 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:59 PM »
Yeah, There are fish in Silver Lake but be prepared to spend a LOT of time fishing and not much catching. You might catch a large Laker and even a Bull Trout. There are some 'bows of considerable size in there and due to the lake's constant cold temperature the fish tend to be very firm and good eating.  Good Luck.

Offline speedyset

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 24, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Anybody working Piney?  Still got to run with some of the old tradition.  Just haven't been to Piney in some time

Offline ScottMidge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 24, 2011, 12:58 PM »
fished by the pumphouse on Mon. Started bout 2pm and by dark had a limit of rainbows and brookies( 2 & 3 lbs). Caught a few dog salmon, only a couple worth keepin. Seemed that glow hooks and maggots were the key in about 10 fow. Although woolie buggers in green were working on the bows. that's all hope to get out again after christmas.
Must fish 300 days a year!!!

Offline wolfkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old women she might be worth one donkey!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 24, 2011, 03:57 PM »
landed 5 bows by pump house today. no salmon. storm came in an the bite shut down. spikes on a dropper worked today. tried other stuff with no success.

Offline intheknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 28, 2011, 02:28 PM »
How much snow is on the ice?  Will we have a slush issue if this weather pattern persists?  Thanks

Offline Thadamus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Was out there last Monday. There was only about 2 inches of snow over the ice in spots that hadn't drifted.

Offline capt.redbeard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Fished piney yesterday. There was maybe four inches of snow. Don't think slush will be a problem for a while.

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Capt.,
How was the fishing?  Will head up on Monday.  Looks like the cool down may help offset this warm weather pattern a little.  Slush makes for a miserable day.  I would appreciate any week-end updates on G-Town.

Offline deer lodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 30, 2011, 11:14 AM »
I fished at the pump house yesterday from 3:30pm to about 6:30pm.  There was very little slush,and about 2" of snow on the ice. The bite was a little slow, caught a few but the bite comlpetely quit at dark.  The wind had quit, but picked back up again as I was leaving.  Shouldn't be any problem with slush though. 

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 30, 2011, 09:48 PM »
twenty five keeper silvers, and 5 or so rainbow, no brooks
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 31, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Sitting up here  and it's been the slowest ive had all year

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 31, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Where are you at on the lake? I am heading up there tomorrow with a group of people.

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:16 PM »
We were at dentons. BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! i went through less than five minutes after posting.  Fishing was slow. 
If anyone hears a story from someone about a fat kid going through the ice and him having to put a rope around him to help haul him out, warm him up in thier ice hut. send me some info i would like to do something for him and his wife for saving my ass.  Everyone have a safe new year, watch for soft ice from the nice weather and be prepared.

Offline icefishmissoula

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 31, 2011, 03:33 PM »
Wow thats crazy did anyone notice soft ice near Comer's point?

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 31, 2011, 04:50 PM »
I was off comers yesterday, and there was a foot of good ice everywhere I drilled, plus others out there with atvs and snowmobiles.

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:43 AM »
Wow Flyfisherman83, Where exactly at Dentons did you go through.  I have been straight out from the right side parking lot with my ATV and found the ice to be very good.  I just want to stay away from the area you were in.
I know someone last year fell through off the end of the jetty. Must be a spring in that area. :(

Tinker

« Reply #82 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:46 AM »
I believe the UTM's for the one I went in last year would be 5115762 N, 323224 E.  There is a little parking area to the west of the main parking area just outside the rail fence.  If standing at the rail fence go NW 200-300' is how I remember it.  The UTM's are based on a dark spot in the lake at that location from 2009 aerial imagery so they may not be correct.  I should have marked it last year but I was a little cold and headed back to the truck!!  It would be great if we could get a list of coordinates for known springs, wonder if the local fisheries biologist would know where most are.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:29 AM »
Thats scary

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 05, 2012, 03:34 PM »
it was probobly 50-75' straight out from the fire hydrant located just to the left of the paking lot

Offline intheknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:49 PM »
Several years ago I went through the ice in the boat marina near Dentons.  Most of the lake had 10+ inches of ice at that time but the little marina has several springs along the edges and in the center!  At least this particular area is shallow and an easy walk back to the car to warm up.

Be Safe!

Offline sneekee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:30 PM »
what the fishin like on G-Town right now? any good sized fish?

Tinker

« Reply #87 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:05 PM »
I have heard there is a spring somewhere in that marina, thought it was right in the channel out of it, anyone know.  By the color of the ice I thought maybe the west side of the west marina dike also had a bunch of springs, on the day I went in last year.

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 06, 2012, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for the info Flyfisherman I'll be sure to stay out of that area.

Offline deer lodge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:22 PM »
anyone ever fished echo lake just east of G-town?  Was wondering if it would be very good. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.