The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: STOLEN:  (Read 8997 times)

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
STOLEN:
« on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Just seeing what you guys might have done if you were in my shoes today. I was setting in the shack with a friend today, I heard something outside so I looked out the window only to see another fisherman's dog running off with one of the biggest perch I caught all day. I wasn't sure what to do so I just let him go. I figured if he tried to do it again, I would go speak to it's owner. The reason I didn't go over there and speak to him in the first place was that the wind was whipping and it was snowing like crazy.

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: STOLEN:
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:45 PM »
As someone that has a dog on the ice I would have gone over there and talked to them, and if my dog pulled something like that i would have hoped someone would have stopped and told me about it.  With so many people on the ice the owner may not have known who it came from.  If my dog did that I would have walked around trying to find the person it belonged to and then smacked the dog and put it in the truck. 

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Now thats how to get dinner.  Sit in the truck and teach you r dog to retrieve everyone's fish.  I'm sure his owner was thinking the same thing you were.  It's too damn windy to track down whose fish this is.

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:03 PM »
Had the same thing happen to me but with a bag a deer jerky. I let it go bc the dog only got a few of the pieces out of the bag. Same idea tho- it was only a perch not like it's a trophy fish. Besides the dog must be hungry.

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:49 PM »
nothing like a well trained ice fishin dog..spots the most sucessful fisherman, runs up, pee's on their buckets, tangles their lines,steals their fish.....they get mad and go home... the honey hole is yours! lol

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Let it go.  You can't train a dog to not chase squirrel, birds, or a fish flopping on the ice.  I've brought my dog ice fishing before and it is hilarious when they figure out that fish come out of those holes.   The only reason I would bring my dog would be because no one else would be around and I want to let her run free.  Once someone else shows up I tie her up.  If there are dogs around where you are fishing and you don't want to lose your fish them keep them inside the hut or in a bucket. 

Offline Ketchnrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Let it go.  You can't train a dog to not chase squirrel, birds, or a fish flopping on the ice.  I've brought my dog ice fishing before and it is hilarious when they figure out that fish come out of those holes.   The only reason I would bring my dog would be because no one else would be around and I want to let her run free.  Once someone else shows up I tie her up.  If there are dogs around where you are fishing and you don't want to lose your fish them keep them inside the hut or in a bucket. 

Not sure I agree, we shouldn't have to mind our fish because of someone else's pet.  Although I love my dog, I rarely take him ice fishing for this reason. I won't take him unless I know there won't be anyone around, he likes to play with fish too much.  It is very frustrating for me when I leave my dog at home, and then someone else lets theirs run wild.  I don't get that many days to fish, and don't want to waste my fishing time worrying about my dog, or anyone else's.  Dogs are built for hunting season, not ice fishing season. Its simply a matter of courtesy to control your dog, or leave it home.  None of us should be in the situation wondering what we should have done because of a someone else's pet. This is very unfair in my mind, especially when its a nice perch that is lost!!

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:44 PM »
My dads dog does the same thing! My buddy who rents from my parents caught a bunch of trout and he came over and stole the biggest one and ate half of it. lol. This summer my dad and i whent fishing and kept one walleye, put it in the back of the truck with the dog and by the time we got home the whole F ing walleye was gone....bet that hurt crapting that out.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2011, 11:42 PM »
You and I must have encountered the same dog Zoo Angler.  He picked up a fish, spit it out and took a bag of jerky sitting on a bucket ;D  Well trained indeed...

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Sounds like a chocolate lab that was up there on Friday........he made the rounds of the whole lake and went to see everyone.  When he came by us, we through a perch to see what he'd do.  He went and got it, then brought it back and dropped it at our feet.  No such luck for you though eh? 

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2011, 12:48 AM »
No such luck, I called for him and he ran. It was a chocolate lab though.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:46 AM »
 ???dogs are not just for hunting!

Bullelk34

« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:07 AM »
Great pic rezeye!

Dogs will be dogs guys, and sometimes it's just better to laugh at things like that than to get all worked up. I agree if you bring your pet on the ice you should have it under control, but stuff happens.

Offline TinaG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Im gonna eat you little fishy"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Guess I better leave the cat at home..... ;)

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:37 AM »
i like cats they taste good  :o

Offline Waksupi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:06 PM »
That reminds me of a couple friends who were talking. One's dog walked up and pee'd on the other guys tent. The guy picked up a stick, and swatted the dog owner, repeating, Bad Dog! Bad Dog! Seemed much more appropriate than swatting the dog.
Ric Carter
Somers, Mt.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I take my dogs everywhere and by my own admission they are not the best trained dogs.  They are meant for running around and checking things out.  For my dogs to be out on a lake where they can't really do any harm is perfect.  They don't steal fish with exception to kokanee.  They won't touch perch or trout or anything else but kokanee must be irresistible to them.  My male has caused some trouble on the ice but he doesn't really harm anything.  He begs for food and has peed on a house or two.  He has also cut his pads right open on the auger.  Dogs will be dogs.  If you don't want them around scare them off or tell them to get away.  I have had other dogs come around and pee on my stuff or get tangled in my lines.  One even broke the transducer arm on my marcum.  I've also had eagles steal my fish so what can you do.
I try to keep my dogs out of other peoples business as best I can.  I just can't leave them at the house if I'm going to be out and about
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2011, 05:04 PM »
Just seeing what you guys might have done if you were in my shoes today. I was setting in the shack with a friend today, I heard something outside so I looked out the window only to see another fisherman's dog running off with one of the biggest perch I caught all day. I wasn't sure what to do so I just let him go. I figured if he tried to do it again, I would go speak to it's owner. The reason I didn't go over there and speak to him in the first place was that the wind was whipping and it was snowing like crazy.
;D ;D ;D :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Offline Waksupi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:41 PM »
If your dog pee's on my ice shanty, you most likely will be buying me a new one.
Ric Carter
Somers, Mt.

Offline kodiak120

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2011, 06:51 PM »
I Have not taken my dog out becouse i know she will want to run around and see everyone , it sounds like i have a fifty fifty chance of pissing some one off judgeing from this post... I guess i will just have to take her next time and see how it goes.... :icefish:
Gotta wake up to catch 'em...

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:06 PM »
That reminds me of a couple friends who were talking. One's dog walked up and pee'd on the other guys tent. The guy picked up a stick, and swatted the dog owner, repeating, Bad Dog! Bad Dog! Seemed much more appropriate than swatting the dog.
LOL, that's a good one.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Next time you have a chocolate lab stealing fish yell "fred drop the fish" if it's my dog he'll obey and wonder how you know his name. You don't have to worry about him wizzing on your shanty, but you had best check for a steamy pile before you step out.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:38 PM »
It's amazing to me.......you can tolerate the price of gas to get there;you can tolerate the wind;you can tolerate the iffy bite;you can tolerate the cold;but can't deal with a dog? I've been ice fishing for 50 years, thats the least of my worries!

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:49 PM »
It's amazing to me.......you can tolerate the price of gas to get there;you can tolerate the wind;you can tolerate the iffy bite;you can tolerate the cold;but can't deal with a dog? I've been ice fishing for 50 years, thats the least of my worries!

Yeah your right. This coming weekend I will be at Tiber if anyone wants to bring their dog, hoping to catch a few fish for them. I tolerate the price of gas to get there, I can tolerate the wind, I can tolerate the iffy bite, I can tolerate the cold, for ME or my friends to catch fish, hoping to take some home. I don't mind people bringing their dogs out, that's great and all, but at least try and keep a little bit of an eye on them.

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Cool.... i'm going to tiber this wk end too. Peck report was nasty,so we changed plans. nothin personal man; just sayin..N.bootlegger's where i'm trying to go.Good luck to you.......Thats my point..you chain up all 4..drive 400 miles try and find minnows deal with roads blown in?dog?

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:07 PM »
I didn't take it personal, good luck this weekend. I didn't write this post to complain, just asking what other anglers would have done. I understand that even with the best dogs, crap happens.

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Good luck to you too; yee haa fish on!
                             hntrboy

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:31 PM »
well said hntrboy  @)
(PATHFINDER)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:32 PM »
as my buddy says,''only two things embarass you, your kids and your dogs.''

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2011, 08:39 PM »
at least it stayed on topic
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.