The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Brookies to be legal on Georgetown!! New regs discussion.  (Read 10651 times)

oldschoolben

Re: Brookies to be legal on Georgetown!! New regs discussion.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:11 PM »
i say stock some tiger musky they don't breed and they get huge do it allready, there are states around us that has plenty of differant species of fish so why does Montana have to be such a trout state y is it that that's all the fish and game  gives a f...k about,i like catching trout but i like allot of other species as well but that's just my opinion

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:23 PM »
I think the issue is;  once you get to the western half of the state, there are very few lakes that do not have rainbows and many that have nothing but rainbows.  On the flipside there are very few lakes that have walleye.  If you live around say Kalispell or Missoula you have to drive past dozens of good trout lakes to get to a lake that has walleye and with the price of gas it is pretty tough to do very often for a lot of folks.

I personally like trout, but when I go trout fishing I prefer to catch them on flyrod on a trout stream.  When I go icefishing or lake fishing in general, I like to be able to catch rainbow trout along with a variety of other species.  When I lived in Missoula I hated going to Browns Lake because it was boring knowing that I had no opportuntiy at anything other than rainbows and when the rainbows weren't biting you simply were not going to catch any fish.  My favorite lake was Placid, it does not have any walleye or pike.  But it has some jumbo Perch, Kokanees, Brookies, Browns, Bulls, Cutthroats, Pumpkinseeds, Bass, Whitefish, Squawfish, Peamouth.....AND.... Rainbow Trout.  And I have personally witnessed or caught each of those species through the ice on Placid.  You just really never knew exactly what was hitting your jig, and if one species was not biting very well, something else usually was.

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 17, 2010, 04:44 PM »
I've heard of Placid before, and have had some interest in going there.  Doesn't seem to be too far of a drive from Anaconda, and I have friends in Missoula with whom I could call in some favors to score a bed/couch/floor for the night.  One question though... How accessible is it in winter?  I've looked at it on Google Earth and it seems to be tucked away a bit into the hills.  Would be a bummer for me to drive over and find that it is too snowed in.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:41 PM »
RobG, good to see you back here. We'll have to actually meet up this year to hit the hard water. Couldn't agree more with you. I missed the part in the Declaration of Independance that our unalienable rights were life, liberty, the pursuit of hapiness, and a short drive to fish for walleye! I think the fwp has a big hatchery just deticated to warm water fish(yeah I know they aren't allowed, heaven forbid, to raise trout there) so I'm pretty sure they don't just care about trout. I heard a rumor about eye's in Placid. Just a rumor I guess, Vike you seen one?
You know, I'll bet the skiers of E. MT would love to not travel so far to ski, so we should build some huge mtns, taxpayer expense mindyou(hey fwp is a taxpayer expense) and then they'll be happy. And while we're at it, I want to hunt a gator so let's introduce them. Ooh. Hogs too. I want to be able to hunt hogs without going down south...it could go on and on.....

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:06 PM »
What really sucks about Montana is that a guy can't catch a decent snakehead. ;)

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 20, 2010, 01:34 AM »
I've heard of Placid before, and have had some interest in going there.  Doesn't seem to be too far of a drive from Anaconda, and I have friends in Missoula with whom I could call in some favors to score a bed/couch/floor for the night.  One question though... How accessible is it in winter?  I've looked at it on Google Earth and it seems to be tucked away a bit into the hills.  Would be a bummer for me to drive over and find that it is too snowed in.

Yes, Placid is easily accessible in the Winter. There are a lot of cabins with year round occupants (not necessarily full time residents) and the road that winds around the entire lake is maintianed throughout the winter.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 20, 2010, 02:57 AM »
 I'll bet the skiers of E. MT would love to not travel so far to ski, so we should build some huge mtns, taxpayer expense mindyou(hey fwp is a taxpayer expense) and then they'll be happy. And while we're at it, I want to hunt a gator so let's introduce them. Ooh. Hogs too. I want to be able to hunt hogs without going down south...it could go on and on.....
[/quote]

Ski????? you think guys in eastern MT want to ski????  With all those fabulous walleye lakes and terrific icefishing.....Ski??????

Oh yeah Hogs and Gators, go ahead and introduce them, they'll proliferate in montana about as well as the farm raised rainbows do in the lakes that are stocked year and year after year after year...........

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #67 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:37 AM »
I'm getting my popcorn. This is better than a soap opera.  ;)
So many fish, so little time.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:51 PM »
well i for one wish there were more eyes around here.wish they would throw perch walleye and pike in the beavertail pond instead of constantly stocking trout.it is stagnant and warmer it would be perfect for walleye.but that is my opinion.

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #69 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:49 PM »
well i for one wish there were more eyes around here.wish they would throw perch walleye and pike in the beavertail pond instead of constantly stocking trout.it is stagnant and warmer it would be perfect for walleye.but that is my opinion.

I'd have to agree with this. Beavertail Pond is a PERFECT location for pike and walleye!!! There are a ton of trout from 8"-12", but they get planted every year.
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 20, 2010, 09:49 PM »
to hell with the pike we want walleye in the flathead ;D ;D
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline flyfisherman83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:31 AM »
Yea that's a wish for santa

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:59 AM »
It could be the next Peck  :o

Nah..... more like the next Lake of the Woods.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 21, 2010, 02:14 PM »
peck is quite far to drive so ill take what i can get.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 22, 2010, 04:19 PM »
So what in the world would Walleyes hurt?  If you put Walleyes into some lakes that already have Pike, Bass, Perch etc....etc.... You are not going to damage a thing ecology wise but make a "WHOLE BUNCH" of anglers in that area very happy.  It's the dissatisfied local angler that is the threat to your feeble farm raised trout.  He is the one that will take it upon himself to bring walleyes in a bucket since his opinion doesn't seem to count.

I don't think very many reasonable people would object to planting walleye in a few lakes if the fish would stay there, but we all know what happened with pike in Western MT: They "mysteriously" started appearing in neighboring lakes until there wasn't any lakes without them. Who knows what would happen with walleye, but it is unreasonable to think they won't change things. On top of that, they would probably not do all that well since the pike keep the forage pretty low so the next thing will be people screaming that we need to plant ciscos, etc. It is a big unknown, and a good percentage of the time the results are bad with these sorts of things. People thought carp were a good idea, and dandilions, and Mysis shrimp, etc. The list just goes on and on so the biologists take the proper position of not trying anything new when the benefits are so small (you can catch them all over), but the risks are large.

I lived up there for decades and people were quite happy without walleye, and most people thought pike were a bad idea too. The people that planted the pike were selfish, not vice versa, and represented a tiny portion of the anglers. It is only recently that WU has been raising such a stink about walleye and they are trying to recruit more people to push for walleye. If walleye do appear W. of the divide, you can be sure it is due in part to the animosity generated by WU for their own selfish agenda.

I don't know of any group that opposes new walleye introductions that doesn't also oppose (at least in principle) the stocking of rainbows. I'm not even sure rainbows are stocked in the Flathead area -- but they do stock cutthroat in some of the lakes. The opposition of walleyes is meant to preserve what we have so future generations can appreciate it.

Oh, and I forgot brook trout in my above list ;)
rg

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 22, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Yeah, its the disgruntled local guys that don't like trout. Ask any local  that's been fishing the Clearwater drainage if they like pike. Your gonna get a ton of no's. All of us in the Seeley area want the pike gone. We want the days of good size silvers and bull trout and bass on your hook. But yeah, WU's done a number in propogating animosity. Don't see TU saying f the walleye. And really, tell me why we need eyes in all these lakes. Tell me why we need to go changing all this stuff. And you know why the trout have to be stocked? Because the majority of fisherman are fishing for them, and depopulating them. But hey, the minority should dictate what we fish for. By the way, we don't opt whether or not to support the Ft. Peck hatchery. If we fish in lakes that they stock from that hatchery, we HAVE to buy the warm water stamp. You know Henkel, rest in piece buddy, wrote a great piece about how that hatchery has nothing going on in it for a good chunk of time, but because of that WU animosity, they cannot raise trout there. So, please, somebody call the waaaambulance. I don't really mean that last line. I've just always wanted to say it, and you can't really say that IRL without a punch being thrown. Good debate here. Yeah DH, as TO would say, getcha popcorn ready.

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:06 AM »
Last time I checked, Trout have to be stocked because they cannot spawn in lakes.  Ask a fisheries biologist.
MT

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:03 AM »
Last time I checked, Trout have to be stocked because they cannot spawn in lakes.  Ask a fisheries biologist.
MT

They can and do "spawn" in the lakes but the eggs won't hatch. Salmonids will successfully spawn in the tributaries to the lake if the habitat is suitable, so stocking isn't always needed.

I looked at the F&G site and lakes like Swan are stocked with cutthroat like I mentioned. However, I notice Loon lake was stocked with rainbows so I'm sure other lakes in that area also receive rainbows.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 23, 2010, 03:35 AM »
Yeah, its the disgruntled local guys that don't like trout. Ask any local  that's been fishing the Clearwater drainage if they like pike. Your gonna get a ton of no's. All of us in the Seeley area want the pike gone. We want the days of good size silvers and bull trout and bass on your hook. But yeah, WU's done a number in propogating animosity. Don't see TU saying f the walleye. And really, tell me why we need eyes in all these lakes. Tell me why we need to go changing all this stuff. And you know why the trout have to be stocked? Because the majority of fisherman are fishing for them, and depopulating them. But hey, the minority should dictate what we fish for. By the way, we don't opt whether or not to support the Ft. Peck hatchery. If we fish in lakes that they stock from that hatchery, we HAVE to buy the warm water stamp. You know Henkel, rest in piece buddy, wrote a great piece about how that hatchery has nothing going on in it for a good chunk of time, but because of that WU animosity, they cannot raise trout there. So, please, somebody call the waaaambulance. I don't really mean that last line. I've just always wanted to say it, and you can't really say that IRL without a punch being thrown. Good debate here. Yeah DH, as TO would say, getcha popcorn ready.

Hey, I'll one up up you.  I did better than ask a few locals, I fished on a regular basis with a few for a stint of about 5 years while I lived in Missoula and granted there are a few stubborn individuals that think the rainbow is the only thing that matters but I also had a few tell me they love fishing for pike and love the way they taste.

If it weren't for introduced species, the whole western side of the state would be pretty damn lame, that is if you did not have any browns or kokanee, no brookies, rainbows or perch.  No pike or bass. No lake trout or lake whitefish.  That would equate to a pretty boring fishery.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 23, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Hey, I'm not saying that it wouldn't have a lot of the fish that there are in western MT without introductions, but at what point do we stop. 30 years from now, do we plant a different fish? Shouldn't we do what we can about the native fish being out competed? You guys are so caught up with rainbow f-ing trout. What about the bas?  There used to be bass tournaments on Seeley. Can't do that anymore because the pike have outcompeted them. What about the silvers?  And you fished with people that shared your veiws, but are you going to fish with people that don't? Chances are you found your fishing buddies through some form of comonality. And to say call the people that don't want pike in the lake short-sighted or whatever the term you used was. I would say the "let's have pike and walleye everywhere" view is short-sighted. Like I said, don't get so caught up on rainbow trout. I can still catch rainbows everytime I go out on Seeley. It aint hard. The perch and pumkinseed that we used to catch bucketfulls as a kid off the dock, not nearly as plentiful, and we did release all of them back.

Offline elktalk101

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:52 PM »
I emailed FWP find out when you could start to keep brook trout at Georgetown and here is what they replied.  The 2011 Fishing Regulations are not in effect until March 1, 2011.   So the regulation change for Georgetown Lake will start on that day.  :(

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #81 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:06 PM »
THere are tons of streams and rivers loaded with any trout you want to catch! That's where they naturally thrive and reproduce! Lakes are meant for pike n walleye  ;)  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

MTA

:icefish:

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:37 PM »
some of these lakes in western MT need to be cleaned up,such as Upsata.There is such a larger population of stunted perch and nothing seems to change.I would like the state to start planting more Tiger Muskies in lakes that are overrun with stunted perch ,whitefish ,squaw fish ect..The nice  thing about Tiger Muskies is that they are sterile so if you put 100 fingerings in a lake you will never have more than that.It seems to me to be a logical way to balance these lakes with a high number of trash fish and panfish that are stunted.

Offline t-hound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:14 PM »
I agree strongly with Lamnidae. The fish are past their eating prime.  I guess now it is more possession value so big richard ice fisherman can hang one on the wall.  Hopefully the trophy potential stays put without over-exploitation ruining the efforts of fish and game.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #84 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:31 PM »
Exactly, just cause it is legal to keep them now doesn't mean you need to. Some (many) fish are more valuable under the ice than sitting in freezer getting freezer burnt.

Offline rooster740

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 02, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Just because it is legal to keep brookies at George town does not mean only the big ones are going home by the bucket. I do think snake heads are a valuable food source to feed the flourishing Montana population, Flying carp in the Yellowstone will be an entertainment source for those of us who used to bow hunt for elk. Now that the pike beeches have eaten all the elk, the wolf population will plummet. The lower numbers of wolves will lead to a decrease in the population of the Gallatin Valley indigenous ravenous  Labrador (lab), which in turn will lead to the overpopulation of the unpopular meth lab. With the increase of the meth lab will bring on a severe financial burden lowering the sales of Subaru cars across the entire state of Montana, pure pandemonium!  That is why I propose catching a northern pike in Yankee Jim canyon on the recently redesigned ''Yellowstone's 5 inch salmon fly" is a blast. Oh, did I say blast, NRA you are next hmmm? Black guns or muzzle loaders?  Get rid of us white folk and plant native Americans!

To end this nonsense of a rant, which has been laid upon you for the simple fact that the road to Dailey lake is drifted shut.

I will say that my family is from Croatia, so I am intrusive, invasive, abusive, greedy and non native, also I really like to eat what I catch.
Ya gotta be tuff when yer dumb

Offline cjflorence88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:12 PM »
um what???

"Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release"
"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."
God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would belie

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:59 PM »
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:19 PM »
what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I just about fell off the couch laughing. We were all thinking it. ;D
So many fish, so little time.

Offline rooster740

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:30 PM »
Easy boys! Don't start being a bunch of ice holes.

None of that was really intended to be my honest perspective on life, the intent was humor. I am so sorry, if I tipped over a few sticks in the mud. Please for give me wise one?
Ya gotta be tuff when yer dumb

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.