The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: shelters  (Read 1779 times)

oldschoolben

shelters
« on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:04 PM »
going to get a iceshelter this offseason want something that is big enough for my family or 4 people  seems like the 4 man tents that i have seen are pretty small any ideas or opinions would be appreciated

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
Re: shelters
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 07:24 PM »
If it were me.. id order a ottersled pull over seats 4 or 3 or 2< well worth your $,if u don't have something to pull it then i would buy a pop up brand much lighter on sled... hope this helps ;D
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:05 PM »
I owned sleds, they are heavy and a pain. Been using the pop ups lately and much rather have them. The six man pop ups look sweet. You could set up cots in there and sleep if you wanted to. Easy to setup and carry. I have two of the three man pop ups works great for us. Good luck.

Offline joshy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:19 PM »
What kind of pop ups do you guys have?  I have a clam corp expedition.  Bought it barely used and have only used it twice.  Today was the second time out with it and i pulled out two hubs, got it all tangled up and just about left it on the lake. >:( Maybe I'm still mad at it, but i think it is a piece of sh--!  Has any body else had these problems with pop ups?

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:23 PM »
I had a pop up and I now run a sled, pop ups are a pain.  You have to anchor the thing down, or your a big stinkin' kite.  They are roomy though!!!  You have to drag a sled full of gear with a hub style shanty anyway, just get a sled shack.  
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Mine are Eskimo and we have had no issues in two seasons.

Offline joshy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:27 PM »
i will agree they are roomy.  much more elbow room in my pop up than my dads sled

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Ham viper...  how are you guys running and gunning with the pop ups.  That is what I hated the most.  My buddies would be moving around and i would be forced to stay in one or two spots because of the anchors.  Un-anchor, move, and re-anchor.  Not convenient at all.  The sleds flip right over and all your gear is already stowed.  If the winds get that bad, your butt is all the anchor your sled ever needs.

Offline joshy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:40 PM »
i was thinking my hand auger was what was keeping me in 1 or 2 places  but i think my pop up will hold me back as well.  I think i will trade my dad for his sled shelter, he never uses it anyway

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:43 AM »
We don't move around a lot in the popups but it isn't that bad when we do. We try and find a good spot before we setup the houses. I am trying to purchase a flasher now to help with that search. Honestly it only takes about 5 minutes to completely break it down (if it isn't windy you only need two stakes and with a couple people it is really quick to take them out an put them in) takes two minutes to break down the sled, you have to pop out the support poles and fold it over in a way you don't bust the windows, or drag or tear the fabric on the hinges. I just break it down toss it on the ATV rack and off we go. I love being able to stand up and have room for everything. Like I said after using both, I sill prefer the popup type but that is just my personal preference. Any ice house is better then no Ice house! - K

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:53 AM »
If you are having trouble setting up your pop up try this. The next time you get ready to set up make sure you pop the top panel first. Then pop the sides. This will help to keep if from trying to unfold inside out. Hope this help. good luck and stay safe.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2011, 02:05 PM »
going to get a iceshelter this offseason want something that is big enough for my family or 4 people  seems like the 4 man tents that i have seen are pretty small any ideas or opinions would be appreciated

I bought a quickfish4 and have used it twice. 2 people is great, and 3 adults is max.  You will want room for a heater and minimal gear, so I'm not sure 4 people would fit comfortably.  I looked at the flipovers, but they are 100+ pounds w/o your gear.  My pop up is 30lbs.  The six man would be great, but may be tricky to set up w/ 2 adults (don't quote me I've never tried it).  Only complaint I have is I shattered 2 windows yesterday cuz it was -20 at g'town when I got there.  Also, don't plan on putting it back in the carry bag on the ice with cold fingers...the kids may learn a new vocabulary.  I am going to make a bigger bag. 
  BE THERE!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:02 PM »
I bought a quickfish4 and have used it twice. 2 people is great, and 3 adults is max.  You will want room for a heater and minimal gear, so I'm not sure 4 people would fit comfortably.  I looked at the flipovers, but they are 100+ pounds w/o your gear.  My pop up is 30lbs.  The six man would be great, but may be tricky to set up w/ 2 adults (don't quote me I've never tried it).  Only complaint I have is I shattered 2 windows yesterday cuz it was -20 at g'town when I got there.  Also, don't plan on putting it back in the carry bag on the ice with cold fingers...the kids may learn a new vocabulary.  I am going to make a bigger bag. 
I had the same issue with getting a tent to fit in the manufacturer bag, so I went to the military surplus store and AK-AK sold me a military duffel for 8 dollars. 

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:02 AM »
Check out the Clam Summit FLR Thermal. About $150 more than I planned on spending, but glad I did. Features include: floor with 6 holes, door at each end, 4 windows, 2 vents, and is thermal lined. Weight is about 92 lbs. and is easily set up in about 5 minutes. Quite roomy inside also. Had myself, the wife, daughter, golden retriever, 2 lanterns, and fishing supplies all in the Clam and we were very comfortable. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search for a shanty. - SpitzoMT 

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2011, 12:32 AM »
get the eskimo 6 man pop up so you can spear out of it if you would like to... more room than you could ever need... carry it and all your gear on a regular kids sled... easy as pie

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2011, 09:28 AM »
I've got an ice cube 3 man which is practical for 2 people with gear or dogs. My buddy got the quikfish 6 which is as good and convenient as I've ever seen. The shoulder straps aren't great but I would just get an external frame backpack for long treks. Or just throw it in your sled. Tons of room. Weve slept in it with two people and 2 dogs several times. I'd say QF6 all the way.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:30 AM »
  Also, don't plan on putting it back in the carry bag on the ice with cold fingers...the kids may learn a new vocabulary.  I am going to make a bigger bag. 

I quit using the bag all together. I got one of them buckle straps, like you'd tie up a sleeping bag with. Like 1.29 at Wallyworld. Just collapse the shelter roll it up and wrap and clip.
Get bit!

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:45 PM »
I have the Eskimo Quickfish 3, and LOVE it! It's not big enough for your family (as you've been inside of it), but super easy to put up and put back into the bag. The 6 person house looks AMAZING!!! If I didn't have this QF3, I'd get that big one. If you can drag all of your gear and house behind a quad or snowmobile, a big flip would be ideal. I don't own a sled, so the back pack style I have is SAWEET!!

:tipup:
Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2011, 02:12 PM »
I bought a quickfish4 and have used it twice. Only complaint I have is I shattered 2 windows yesterday cuz it was -20 at g'town when I got there. 

Called Eskimo on my lunch break.  I was told that the WINDOWS ARE ONLY RATED TO -20, keep that in mind.  However, Eskimo said that they were definitely going to stand behind their product and two new windows and a license holder are being sent to me without any cost.  Hard to beat customer service like that.  I will definitely buy their products again.
  BE THERE!

Offline cjflorence88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2011, 03:44 PM »
i have the quick fish 3 and love it. its roomy but nof really friendly for runing and guning im going to build a sled for it with a bench and chest build in to stow gear and sit on, so i can yank the hut down trruw it in the chest and move then i can throw (the only complaint i have with my eskimo) the bag it comes in away.

"Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release"
"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."
God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would belie

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Get the 6'x8' Cabela's pop up! It will fit 4-5 people and it is fairly lightweight. Check it out on Cabelas.com

Offline DLakermovedWest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2011, 11:14 PM »
We returned three of the Clam pop ups to Cableas after four days of use this season (one 6 man and two fours). The bottom flaps were ripping out and the pole hubs were breaking from opening the shelter due to the ceilings being sewn way to tightly and unevenly. After repacing the hubs the poles could not be used unless they were bowed to the side quite a bit outside the little Velcro tabs. The pole sleeves were just fabric and I think two of those tore out on initial setup. The thread was very thin cotton that was unraveling all over the place. The tiedowns were flimsy and very hard to screw into the ice without using a drill and adapter. The door zippers were very hard to operate as well. The shanties were needed to last at least 45 days of commercial use and no way that was going to happen.

We replaced them with Eskimos and have much more room and no negative quality issues. The sewing is straight and higher quality thread is used, the zippers are much better and the sleeves are made of thick strapping. Plus they weigh half what the same Clams do. The tiedown screws are heavier and are easy to screw in by hand. The actual fabric seems to be the same save the color. Everyone concerned is much happier with them, plus they were quite a bit cheaper.

No matter the brand of popup I'd count on two fewer people in both the six and four mans to have enough room for heaters, electronics and seats. We run four anglers in the six and two in the fours with one guide standing behind them and it works very well.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:24 AM »
My friend has a quickfish 6 and I loved it.  My brother just got his cabelas 6 man and loves it.  I have been using my hub, pop up hunting blind and like it, however by next weekend I will have a clam 5600 I think is what it is.  Folded up it is 5x6 I think, then you unfold it and set it up.  Got it for $50, so I really can't complain at all.  For that price, i'll love it as much as I can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.