The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: holter  (Read 13813 times)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: holter
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:23 PM »
How is the ice holding up?

Offline walleye736

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:53 AM »
How is the ice holding up?
  14" pretty solid-ATV still driving over most of the lake

Offline WOODEXP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:27 AM »
Sunday across from Log Gulch was nice. Early fish in 19 fow The ice was 12" and solid.Trout and salmon on the ice by 9:oo.
Bronco

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Where exactly is log gulch at? I've never fished out there, but was thinking about heading out there later this afternoon/evening.

Bullelk34

« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Log Gulch is almost all the way down the road, just before Departure Point. If you head out let us know how the ice is holding up. I went to Pishkun Saturday and the ice was great everywhere except the edges. Too bad it was a slow day for perch.

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Didn't make it out there today so no news on the ice conditions. I hope to maybe get out there next weekend if I don't hit the perch derby at canyon ferry. What has been working out there? Do you really use anything different when fishing for salmon out there? Or is it pretty much the same as fishing for trout? Any info/help is appreciated!

Offline WOODEXP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:14 PM »
I have found that the trout are at 12 feet under the ice in 35 FOW, and the salmon are two feet under the ice.
The salmon will nibble the bait and are hard to set the hook, and the trout grab it and run. Flags up !
Holter Lake, 10 months of fishing.
Bronco

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2010, 09:34 PM »
What do you use as far as bait goes? Do maggots do the job? Or do you have to go with something else? I've never fished for salmon, let alone salmon through the ice!

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:00 PM »
Went by departure point, today 12 inches of good ice.  One perch to show for it all. 48 feet deep.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Andercee,
Started at departure point yesterday with only one light bite from sunup til around 1230hrs.  Moved to the opposite side of Log gulch and fish in 8fow to 30fow with no bites. Then we moved out to the 38 to 48fow and had one more bite and that was about 10ft below the ice.  We drill holes about every 20yds 3/4qtrs across the lake looking down each with the marcum and saw only one fish in 40fow(& that was smack dab in the middle of the lake). We ended up landing a 21in bow from a  :tipup: not to far from shore...  But what a perfect day for the hard water!!  Better than sitting on the couch! :tipup:
Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Sounds like things have been pretty slow. Anyone know how the ice is out there? Also, any new info on the fishin?

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:38 AM »
thinkin on heading out this sunday. any info would be great. im stayin close to the bays targeting trout.

Offline DadnFox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:51 PM »
Heading out in the morning (Saturday).  Thinking of going across the land to the area around Cottonwood Creek.  Never been to that area before.  How long will it take to walk from Departure Point??

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Herdbull,
Plenty of ice on Holter; went out Wednesday night and pulled an all night-er.  Fishing in 30 fow just outside of the cove at Log gulch. Straight out the boat launch.  I set up three :tipup:s  out my door 20yds and the other two 20yds each further out toward the center of the lake.  Furthest  :tipup: hit first before I could get my shanty up but nothing was on it. The:tipup:s hit every hour till 1045hrs. Caught some bows on the rods in between.  All was quite till 0100, and my pole drag click woke me up; fought a 27in ling up on of the hole. Then the closets  :tipup: hit that had a 25incher on it.  Few more fish here and there then @ 0415hrs my pole almost was ripped from my hands.  Fought a 30incher for 15mikes or so and then was the last bite & fish for the night.  Seemed as the night went the fish got closer to shore and much, much bigger.  First few I landed were all 15-20ins.  Real good night in my book & limited out!  Got pics too, but need to set up a photo bucket or one of the accts to I can post the pics. :tipup: :tipup:
 :icefish:
Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Offline carpsnager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:58 AM »
fished holter sunday and there was fish on the vexlar all day but could not get them to bit and we tryed alot of diffrent things. at about 3:30pm the perch started to bit. we fished til 7pm and ended up with 15 perch,one ling,two walleye and three trout. i had something big on but it got off just under the ice.

Offline WapitiBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:39 AM »
It takes about 20 minutes from Departure Point to the land crossing.  That crossing takes about another 10 minutes, depending on how much gear and if there is some snow to help out, then another 20 minutes or so to Cottonwood, again, depending on how mobile you are.  So maybe an hour total from DP.  I have only made the crossing and fished on the other side in about 45-50 FOW. Caught 5 perch there and one was nice (12").  :o

Offline WapitiBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:44 AM »
It takes about 20 minutes from Departure Point to the land crossing.  That crossing takes about another 10 minutes, depending on how much gear and if there is some snow to help out, then another 20 minutes or so to Cottonwood, again, depending on how mobile you are.  So maybe an hour total from DP.  I have only made the crossing and fished on the other side in about 45-50 FOW. Caught 5 perch there and one was nice (12").  :o

This was for DadnFox

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:43 PM »
How is the cliff area to the west across the lake from log gulch for wallie fishing?  Is the ice safe enough across the middle of the lake to take a 4 wheeler?  I have not ice fished Holter for anything other than trout and was feeling adventurous this weekend... ::)   

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 05, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I caught them in that area last winter, I walked, but there was tracks all over and I seen atvs over there all the time.... but I can't vouch for this season though.  I usually fished more off the area that bends around and faces the damn, in 35-50 FOW, buck-shots tipped with minnow heads and picked up a few nice perch too.  Usually it took a lot of work to get any eyes worth keeping.

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2010, 12:25 AM »
Thanks!  Is there anytime of day that seemes to better than another.  I plan on heading up early on Sunday.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2010, 04:32 AM »
Dawn or dusk and if my memory serves me correctly I did my best in the morning, but that is when I fished the most.  I did have a fairly productive evening off of Log Gulch one time but it was early ice, Jan. 1st 2009.   Fished out 25-30 feet, sort of off the bend in the road, out a ways from all the trout fisherman. 

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:46 AM »
If a guy is stuck to walking then, where would be his best shot for walleye?  I have tried twice at Log gulch, with no sucess.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I would walk out to the cliffs from log gulch, takes about 15 minutes... drill that area out and work it in the evening or morning.  As hit or miss as it is, another lake may be the best bet if you are really serious about chasing walleyes.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:22 AM »
Not too bad this after noon, caught 3 ling 25-31" 1 HUGE perch and 1 17" walleye 4hrs on the ice.  Ice was in good shape and the weather was amazing 1-2mph wind tops and 30 deg.  Also had a nice ling put on a show for us, I was using the Camera and my brother was using my flasher had a ling come at the camera and swat it with it's tail 3-4 time and stare down the camera between swats.  He wasn't paying any attention to my jig just had some issues with the camera.  All in all it was a good afternoon/evening.
l

Offline carpsnager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:50 AM »
i was fishing around cotton wood a few years ago in the boat and had the camera down. came across a crawdad , it stopped real quick ,stared into the camera and then it just attacked the camera. it was climbing all over the camera (good thing they are small)

Offline trappermike82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Fished the BLM campground this morning.  Fishing in about 10 feet of water7 or so feet below the ice and had a decent day.  The best activity was between 11 and 1.  Couldn't keep em off for about two hours.  small pink jigs and maggots.  Caught 7 rainbows and had 7 or 8 more on.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:03 PM »

Fished Holter Saturday afternoon and night and Sunday morning.

The ling were on fire!   We caught 28 ling, 17 walleye (all small but good eaters), 8 trout and 4 perch.

Ling and walleye were on frozen minnows (heads only for the eyes) and maggots and crawlers for the trout and perch.

Pretty good couple days of fishing.

The ling must be spawning because it was outta control.   Caught them during the day on jig rods and at night on tip-ups.   If you like ling, I'd give Holter a shot.

We were upstream from Log Gulch.   ;)
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:31 AM »
I was out sat.afternoon until 10:30 pm and caught 4 ling.We we  hoping to to catch a few walleyes but had no luck.We were out of log gulch campground.I f anybody has any tips on were to get a few 'eyes I would appreciate it,thanks Rich

Bullelk34

« Reply #58 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:06 AM »
We went out Saturday and it was slow for us, 8 perch, 2 walleyes and 3 trout. We could see many more on the Vex's but they wouldn't bite. We still haven't got any ling this year- might have to try log gulch this weekend.

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 15, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Bullelk34 where were you fishing sat.at holter?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.