The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Anybody got any tips for takin your old lady out on the ice for the first time?  (Read 2921 times)

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
oh plan on it

Offline fishfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
WTG Tim, :thumbsup: :clap: pass on that Team Maine karma.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
anybody know of anybody in the area that needs some help send them this way, as i dont know many people in this area through ice shanty yet, and i can't do all that much to help, but ill do what i can  ;D

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
A few things you will need..........

for her not to see you refer to her as "your old lady"  ;D
a spot with a few fish, not too many or she will be spoiled. now with all the fresh stock brookies is good, there easy to catch and pretty plentiful in many ponds
a shelter
a heater
warm boots
a comfortable chair
a bucket for a bathroom, in the shelter, privacy seems to be alot more important to women
a strong back to lug all the gear
her book
no wind day
short walk from truck
warm hands and feet
drinks and food
a jig rod
radio
LOTS of patients
no slush
extra gloves
and a short day  a 12 hr day on the ice, plus a couple hrs travel just don't impress them when shes ready to go its time to go

all in all its easier to just listen to the complaining   j/k  ;D

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
A little heater always works, good food, a lake that will keep her busy running to flags, and easy access to a shoreline for batrhoom breaks, and something comfortable for her to sit on should make it a little better.

Other than running for flags, sounds like she'll be staying home... ;D ;D ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Keep her warm and well fed. ;)2
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
 :cookoo:  cant show her how good it is!  make it rough out there  how else ya gonna get some privacy!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Let her use your Vex!
Careful with this one-I let my wife use mine and that was the last time I used it.  Had to get another one.

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
:cookoo:  cant show her how good it is!  make it rough out there  how else ya gonna get some privacy!
well if i take her a few times she miht let me go more once she sees how much fun i have!

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mike, if you need a heater by this weekend I have a 2 burner propane stove you can use...plus you will be able to cook something while staying warm....
 As far as the fishing goes.....that would be your call...you know where the trouts are..
 I do agree about easy access. It will make things easier for both of you.
I know 2 ponds where there is a portable john still in place.
That alone could make a world difference.

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
Mike, if you need a heater by this weekend I have a 2 burner propane stove you can use...plus you will be able to cook something while staying warm....
 As far as the fishing goes.....that would be your call...you know where the trouts are..

i think he said he already had a shelter  ;D

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict

yes it def would... even tho i was going to just pull out  a metal coffee can when she says she's gotta go....but if you could let me know the name of them ponds that'd be very helpful thanks, and hope to see ya sunday still

Offline DamYankee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walk out with her!!!......Last year my wife wanted to come out mid morning and hang out for awhile.  She has never ice fished before.  It was early Feb with ~15" of ice.  She knew where we would be set up and it would have been a short walk <100 yds).  She took 2 steps on the ice and felt/heard cracking (what we would call "making ice").  She got so nervous she got back in the car and drove home before I could meet her.  Haven't been able to get her back out since.
I'd rather be fishing!

Offline DaddyX2

• Team IceShanty Addict
yeah i tried to get her out there once even tho there were other people outthere  i made one hole and it popped a little, and then she wouldnt have anything to do with it...granted it was 4 inches of ice then

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.