Author Topic: reccomendations on 2 man shanty  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
reccomendations on 2 man shanty
« on: Dec 12, 2004, 07:58 PM »
I am looking to buy my first 2 man shanty and want you guys advice on one that is easy to set up and is well-built.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: reccomendations on 2 man shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2004, 04:04 AM »
Don't know how much you are looking to spend, but the Frabill Ranger XL Twin or their new ice cruiser series would make a nice flip style shanty IMO. I have a Ranger Triplex and I use it to fish 2 primarily. Its not too big for one person to set up and not too small for 3, but I have found 2 to be perfect. I just take one of the seats out and store it in my boat so I only have 2 seats and very adequate room. It seems to be pretty well built and pretty durable. I am sure you will get some more ideas from other members with other shaks. I can't say anything good or bad about other brands as I haven't used them.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2004, 09:45 AM »
I have last years Clam Guide and love it.  This years appears to be smaller, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the Clam products.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline jdm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2004, 11:19 PM »
I have a fishtrap voyager and it is ideal for 2 people. Takes 30 seconds to extend the top by yourself. 3 people would be crowded IMO. Then again I am 6'2" 240#s and tend to fish my holes wide. You can fish 2 people, 4 holes without a problem.

Offline zakker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2004, 08:47 AM »
Don't know how much you are looking to spend, but the Frabill Ranger XL Twin or their new ice cruiser series would make a nice flip style shanty IMO. I have a Ranger Triplex and I use it to fish 2 primarily. Its not too big for one person to set up and not too small for 3, but I have found 2 to be perfect. I just take one of the seats out and store it in my boat so I only have 2 seats and very adequate room. It seems to be pretty well built and pretty durable. I am sure you will get some more ideas from other members with other shaks. I can't say anything good or bad about other brands as I haven't used them.

I have the XL Twin and love it. Works ok with two guys. I would seriously look into the cruiser though, (its the same as the Twin but w/out the seats). The seat design (MSS) is quite horible, in my opinion. It clips onto the aluminum rail then you have to put an additional plastic leg (provided) under it. Then once assemble, god forbid you need something behind you, as it is quite cumbersome to reach things. Also, if you do not get the thing hooked correctly, you are going to end up on your back! As a matter of fact, the Gander Mountain in my area has a bunch of those deer hunting cushions (look like pillows) behind the seat in case someone sits down and goes for a ride. The guy who works there said they are required to check them daily. In addition to all of this, two seats add approx. 25lbs, which if your pulling by hand, can be a pain.

To remedy all of this I just purchased two HT sports chairs. The legs fit in the "sled tracks" concave area. Now, your sitting in the sled, feet off the ice with everything at your finger tips. To quiet the noise down, the truck bed rubber mats work good when cut to the correct widths. I think it'll work pretty slick.

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2004, 03:06 PM »
I have just today seen the new two man shappell rover, nice looking outfit that has a padded bench seat with back rest. It looked like it is easy to set up and with its narrow base tub looks like it would pull a lot easier than a lot of the two man shelters. ok the bad news is the price it had was $289.00 not to bad I guess.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Price wise the Eskimos seem like an okay deal for the money.  The new Fish Traps have a really comfortable swivel seat in them so that is another one to consider.  That seat is so comfortable I've thought about getting one for my older style Trap Pro.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2005, 01:03 PM »
Frabill venture is pretty sweet.I love the material that they use and it holds up to the wind, large windows, and the black holds the heat real well.And at about 200 bucks, its one of the least expensive ones in its class.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2005, 09:18 PM »
 I have a Clam 2000 and really really like it, easy to set up even by yourself, very durable and has alot of room to fish. Also has pretty big squares so you can have 2 holes inside, one for your aqua vu or vex and the other to fish out of. And its also cheap about 200 bucks can also find it cheaper sometiems.
Jason

iceman480

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2005, 02:36 AM »
The clam guide would be my choice I have a clam trap pro for one man and it is built alot better than the Frabill in my opinion.

Offline buckman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:19 AM »
i have a frabill speed shack, nice, easy set-up and well made.  also it's black so it warms up on it's own as long as sun is out!  about 50 on a 20 degree day :)

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2005, 07:30 PM »
Trout-Sensi, I have the Shappell Dx3000 which is a two man and it's pretty easy for set-up. It weighs about 40# and once you have it up it gets a little tricky to move in the wind unless you drop it back down. I just bought the Rover 1 man and I'm looking forward to trying it somewhere other than my garage! Plus my wife is starting to get a little suspicious. If their two man is as easy to set up I'd be in favor of it. I wanted one for when I'm out by myself. Lou

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2005, 04:37 PM »
I have had a Shapelle 300 for 9 years now. Folds up nice and flat easy to set up by yourself or with a friend. Can hold 3 people if really windy/cold outside. I even bring my protable stove to fry up venison in it. ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2005, 09:53 AM »
FYI...I have a Frabill XL Twin not quite a yr. old. A group of us just got back from Devils Lake ND and it was COLD!!! I had both my side windows split from top to bottom from the cold leaving my house a bit drafty! I had another guy in our group with the frabill Ranger Solo have the same thing happen to his windows!

The other fella's in the Clam's and Eskimo's didn't have this problem with their windows.

I called Frabill this mourning and explained what happen with the windows. I was told by the gal that the windows are not covered under warranty. I was told I could buy replacement's for 14$ a piece! :o

I looked on their web site last night and noticed their slogan!!!

Tell the spouse your going ice fishing ALL DAY!
Even if it's below zero!

I think they might want to think about a slogan change!

I've owned my last Frabill costumer service is big with me and Frabill is lacking in that department. To me I shouldn't have to pay for the replacement windows when my house is less then a yr. old!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.