Author Topic: Opinions needed  (Read 2042 times)

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Opinions needed
« on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:50 PM »
Hello all,

I am in the market for a tent this year for ice fishing. I am looking for something for two people with occasional third. I'm just curious what brand, size, and style to look into buying?

Thanks

Offline iceokie06

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Opinions needed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:55 PM »
I have had the Eskimo Quickfish 3 and have really enjoyed it. Could use a bit more space when 3 guys are there, but for 2 it is just fine.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2015, 08:36 PM »
I have the cables double.  I forget what they call it.  I wouldn't want anything smaller even for 2 guys,  but I don't think it's the best.   If I was doing it again I'd get another brand.

Offline winston6wt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2015, 08:49 PM »
I have the quick fish 3 and really like it. The next one will be a flip over, but till then im happy with what I have.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:11 PM »
How much do you want to spend ? The bigger you get or the better the quality . The higher the cost .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:28 PM »
I just looked on ebay you can get an Eskimo fat fish for $ 359 . Its says it fits 3 to 4 people , and only weighs 36 pounds . Also free shipping . On the ice in eastern Idaho you will see more Eskimo shelters than anything else . Most reasonable for the money. There are higher quality ones like Clam . They are usually about 33 percent more money . I looked around and amazon has a better price . The review ratings are very high .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline ahunterboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:29 PM »
I have a Cabela's Brand 6'X6' Ice Hub. its alright for 2 people but 3 people with gear is to many. Ice shacks just like almost everything else you get what you pay for. for my next portable shack I am going to go with a flip over style. Just make sure not to short yourself on space or you will be looking to upgrade sooner, having enough room to stretch out is priceless.
ahunterboy--- keep yer stick on the ice

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:53 PM »
I just
 went on the web and typed in ice shanty reviews . There is a ton of information about almost . Every make and model available .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline PERSONA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2015, 12:02 AM »
Im using the Eskimo 949 Fatfish currently I picked it up 2 seasons ago from Sportsman's for $229 great buy, great shanty, plenty of room and built better than the Quickfish 3! However the Quickfish 3 ain't a bad shanty either..

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2015, 12:31 AM »
That is a great price .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:25 AM »
Thanks all, I want one that is good quality, I am just getting back into the sport and don't know how much time I can dedicate to it so not looking to go all out on the top of the line but would like one that will last awhile until I can upgrade.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:37 AM »
I have had an eskimo Quickflip 2 for 10 years . It weighs 87 pounds . It is very tight with 2 people . It is perfect for 1 .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline rjd007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:26 AM »
We fish the QuickFlip 3 with a bench.  It is the older green one and works great but is heavy if you are pulling it out on the ice.  Behind a sled or atv, it is ideal.  The newer red and black huts have a thicker wall.  Watch KSL Classifieds for deals on used huts.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2015, 11:52 AM »
My best friend has the quickflip 3 and you are right two much to pull by hand . You need a sled or 4 wheeler . If you are by yourself it would be hard to get back in the truck . But does have three times more room than my quickflip2 .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2015, 08:12 PM »
I would check out the gander mountain brand we do not have one local so you will have to check it out online they are slightly cheaper than an Eskimo and probably just as reliable if not better Or Otter brand is another one you could check out I have the otter walleye series and have been very happy with it for about 12 years.
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2015, 01:06 PM »
I have had two different cabelas hub style and they held up nicely in S. Dakota where I move here from. I had the 6x12 which is like a double of their original. It sets up easy but was a little too big for my taste. I sold it and downsized to the 6x8 which was perfect for 3-4 people. I have done all-nighters in it with two guys, cots, and all our gear. Plenty of room and kept warm even on SDakota ice. For the money I have been impressed with the cabelas hub style and from what I've been told by an employee they are made by clam anyway.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2015, 01:18 PM »
I have had two different cabelas hub style and they held up nicely in S. Dakota where I move here from. I had the 6x12 which is like a double of their original. It sets up easy but was a little too big for my taste. I sold it and downsized to the 6x8 which was perfect for 3-4 people. I have done all-nighters in it with two guys, cots, and all our gear. Plenty of room and kept warm even on SDakota ice. For the money I have been impressed with the cabelas hub style and from what I've been told by an employee they are made by clam anyway.

Interesting.  I have the 6 x 12 from cabelas and had it replaced 2 times.   I can see daylight through the holes in the fabric even when new.  If that is a good one I'd definitely be disappointed with a cheap one.  I have however stayed several nights in mine. 

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:20 PM »
Interesting.  I have the 6 x 12 from cabelas and had it replaced 2 times.   I can see daylight through the holes in the fabric even when new.  If that is a good one I'd definitely be disappointed with a cheap one.  I have however stayed several nights in mine.

Must be inconsistent quality control checks by cabelas. At least they have a pretty good return policy.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2015, 08:32 PM »
All 3 of mine have been the same quality.  Maybe I just have higher expectations.   +1 on the return policy.   :)

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:53 PM »
I have the fatfish 949 and its ok for 3 people but no more, I plan on picking up Eskimo 6120 at the end of the season wished i would have bought a double model from the start but live and learn i guess

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Thanks everyone, I ended up ordering a ff949i off of Amazon. Now I guess just keep fingers crossed for ice.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2015, 10:43 AM »
That was a good choice . How much did you have to pay for it ?
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2015, 12:02 PM »
$288. With free shipping

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2015, 06:48 PM »
You are going to love it .
Catch'em and Eat'em