The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!  (Read 25422 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Sounds great, 3" is a good start but I am sure it will work just fine on thicker ice.
<===Lefty===

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Sounds great, 3" is a good start but I am sure it will work just fine on thicker ice.
The way the weather here in Pa has been, I'll take 3 inches!!!!  Not sure I want to fish it yet but for test the auger, yipeeeee!  It is 3 solid inches I swear........LOL

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #62 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:21 PM »
 Congrats man on a great project!! I still might cannibalize my jiffy 30. The auger bit on those is left handed, but with a power drill I guess that doesn't matter.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 09, 2015, 07:09 PM »
Sorry, I have not updated in a while, 1st, I got welders flash due to my auto darken helmet malfunctioning in the cold!  I could not even look at a computer screen, eeesh!   I got my ice hut down to the lake today and spudded a few holes, the ice is still uneven on the deeper side of the lake where I like to fish,  some 6" down to 2"s in spots.  I decided to take dora down the the shallower thicker side of the lake to see how many holes I could get off one charge on a 2 year old dewalt 18v 2.6ah ni cad battery.  The ice is hard as a rock 7" thick where I drilled.  I managed 16 8" holes through 7" of ice.  That equals 112" of ice.  The gear reduction is right, the drill didn't bog or struggle, it just cut awesome!  My mora has year old china blades that look a little beat up.  I am looking to order some made in sweden soon.   I read brushless motors have 57% more run time than brushed?  That turns 16 holes into 24 and dewalt now makes 5ah batteries, " twice as many as ni cad 2.6ah".  That turns 24 into around 40! 40 8" holes on one charge would be crazy!  I would love to buy a new drill but don't want to spend the money, plus my 18v xrp is a great drill, I just want more than a 2.6 ah battery.  I am super pleased the drill was not even warm after 16 holes straight!  Last year without reduction the same drill would have exploded 16 straight.  In fact I burned up multiple switches, trying to drill back to back to back.  The motor on the drill would burn your skin only a few holes in.  Dora still needs some refining, I am still looking for the right parts..... sealed bearings that will hold up and making the chain tensioner spring loaded.  The chain hasn't popped during operation yet but does cause a little drag, I am yet to figure out the best way for the tensioner set up.  The current one is fine for now on the prototype, but a spring loaded tensioner is needed for a production model.  I am still working on that ??? ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #64 on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:52 PM »
Awesome! I can't wait!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I have been putting dora to the test the last two days, we finally have some good ice.  It has performed just awesome, drilling hole after hole.  I found out though that one of my batteries is junk!  Just new last year!  It charges to over 20v but drills 3 holes and that is that.  The other battery that came in the same pack drills 20 8" holes through 7" of ice!!!!  I will be contacting dewalt to see what the warranty says. No clothing, ice picks, scarfs or anything has got caught in the chain. I think I will leave the one side open with no chain guard, it truly does not need it.  It is awesome to see right through the holes in the sprocket right to where you are cutting. The drills chuck hasn't even needed tightened and I drilled 50+ holes with it.  I thought it may come loose so I made a easily replaceable chuck, and prob didn't need to. So far so good with testing!!!!!!! I may have to take some time off fishing to make more :o

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #66 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:09 AM »
Can't wait!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:00 AM »
Scary deal with your eyes! Take that junk battery and marry it to a 20 volt USB device that Dewalt sells. You can run your XRP on 20 volt batteries. Works great, been doing it for years. Take the cells out of the old battery of course. I also have an adaptor that goes from a Dewalt 18 volt to a Ryoby 18 volt and can run them all on the 20 volt lithiums. New tools are tougher to make mods on because they interface with the batteries. The old ones are just sucking juice and are not particular.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:42 AM »
Have you considered a "half link" of chain?

Usually no tensioner is needed, sometimes a half link will take up the slack if necessary....

http://www.piratecycles1.com/li415ch12li.html

Here is a spring loaded tensioner to check out, pretty expensive but might help your thinking process..

http://www.piratecycles1.com/picysplochte.html

The also make half links in the BMX chain pitch too...

<*)))>{

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #69 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:53 AM »
 The old dirt bikes used nylon roller tensioners.  ;D

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Thats excellent.

Safety thing though - you want to cover the gear & chain completely from above. Loose clothing, hoodie strings, ETC will cause some scary injuries.
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 17, 2015, 04:52 PM »
Dora tore up the ice today, crushed it. Drilled 20-25 8" holes through 7-8" hard ice, one 2.6 ah bat drilled at least 15.  Had a few fisherman stop to look, both guys used drills for 6"holes, both said they thought it was sweet!  Then I fished some 6" holes somebody else drilled, after that 8" holes looked friggin huge.  I am going to pick up a 6 just to get more holes per charge.  The custom battery pack to hook the 18v xrp to a 12v deep cycle bat works great has lots of power just spins a little slower, but still makes quick work of 8" solid ice.  Lovin this thing!   

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Jan 17, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Good deal, You deserve a pat on the Back so here it is.
<===Lefty===

Offline DAPOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:41 PM »
I must be missing something here???? Why does anyone need any gear reduction to run a drill driven auger? I just use my Dewalt 20v brushless straight to either a 6" nils or 7" mora, and it will cut all day long through the thickest ice, and the variable speed REALLY works great to start slow, and once engaged....let 'er rip, and job done in seconds. The only thing I can see the reduction doing is slowing down the whole process? Having said this, I'm a real fan of any Rube Goldberg designed anything. Heck, you should see my home made jawjackers, 4 sequential events have to occur before the hook is even set, although, the sequence occurs faster than the blink of an eye ;D

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 18, 2015, 11:38 PM »
I must be missing something here? ??? Why does anyone need any gear reduction to run a drill driven auger? I just use my Dewalt 20v brushless straight to either a 6" nils or 7" mora, and it will cut all day long through the thickest ice, and the variable speed REALLY works great to start slow, and once engaged....let 'er rip, and job done in seconds. The only thing I can see the reduction doing is slowing down the whole process? Having said this, I'm a real fan of any Rube Goldberg designed anything. Heck, you should see my home made jawjackers, 4 sequential events have to occur before the hook is even set, although, the sequence occurs faster than the blink of an eye ;D
I am with you when it comes to smaller bits. When you jump up to a 10", D.O.R.A. Is looking like it might just have some merit. Also should help small drills do the work that directly connected larger drills can do, without burning them up. I have ruined many an 18 volt drill by asking it to do too much.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 19, 2015, 01:09 AM »
The main thing is it spinning dangerously fast, at full throttle where power is greatest, I too have burned up xrp drills with 8" holes, that's why i built this. Plus it makes a drill a real auger.... something you can grab, why do you think people buy the clam plate, which does nothing but make it easier to use.  Drills work good for 6" holes, 7 is pushing it and 8" is a good way to burn up all but the best of the best drills $300-$400.  Variable speed is just dropping the voltage to the motor which wears on the parts, like a chainsaw, gas auger, anything, peak power is at peak rpm.  I like 8" holes, if I ran a 6" auger, you are right, the top of the line drills will drill holes just fine, but still spins way too fast, I would never let my kids touch a drill but have no worries letting them drill holes with this.  Thanks for the comment, but I will stick with gear reduction and save my $300 drill.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 19, 2015, 01:12 AM »
Plus, I nearly doubled the amount of 8" holes my drill can drill on the same battery without it ;D ;D ;D

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:26 AM »
Plus, I nearly doubled the amount of 8" holes my drill can drill on the same battery without it ;D ;D ;D

I don't understand this.  If you remove 2X the ice the drill and battery are doing 2X the work, even if it is not spinning as fast.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #78 on: Jan 19, 2015, 06:40 AM »
No the drill is still spinning the same speed but the auger is not. So it is drilling the same speed but doing 2 times the holes. Less torque on the drill.
<===Lefty===

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:02 AM »
The drill isn't drawing as many amps when it is not under heavy load, its not removing 2 times the ice, with the 2.5 to 1 gear reduction the drill works less hard doing the same job.  Like changing gears on a bike to make it go up hill easier.  Without straining the battery and motor less amps are used, = more holes per battery.  A 18v dewalt drill will draw 40amp under extreme load and the variable speed switches are only rated to 25amp.  Drills are not made to take that extreme amp draw, so when you hear your drill struggling, just think of the internal damage to wiring and battery packs drawing twice the amperage they were intended for.  The battery's are not meant for 40amp discharge = pack damage and fewer charge cycles.   Plus auger blades were never built with the intention to spin 450rpm last year without reduction I burned up two sets of auger blades and they had flat spots in the middle from overworking them, this year no signs of wear on the blades yet, and she has drills prob 200+ holes.   

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:11 AM »
You're getting twice as many holes but its not removing 2 times the amount of ice?

When you shift to a lower gear to go up a hill on a bike it is easier but you are still doing the same amount of work - its just spread over a longer time.  Maybe the fact that it is easier on the drill results in a longer battery life, that might be possible.  But the thing still has to obey Newton's Laws.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 19, 2015, 07:25 AM »
Good point.  Overall that is why ion, lithium lazer ext..... are 48 -50v systems, more volts = less amps= more efficient.  Drills are the poor mans version, lol.  But finding the right way to use em....4-6" augers are ok. but if you want that 8"+ something needs done.  There you go with Newton, action- bigger hole needed....... reaction get a Dora. LOL @) @) @) @) @) @) ::) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 19, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Here it is..... Drilled 20 holes on one 2.6ah bat through 10" of good ice with a few inches of crap on top today. Here is a vid of a few,  you can't see the drill because it is in a frog toggs bag to keep the drill dry, but it is a 18v xrp that is a few years old, with a two year old pack.  I could only imagine a brushless drill......

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #83 on: Jan 19, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Sweet!

Offline Icer 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:47 AM »
This Auger is awesome!  I will have to build one of these for myself

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Tore it up again today, 10 straight trough 10" with no sign of a drained bat.  10 holes was all we needed to get on the structure we wanted or I would have been able to drill 10 more probably.  The lakes ice is still funny 10" in spots and 2 inches just feet away so we are limited to where we can fish.  I really want to test it out with a lith ion brushless.  I bet it would replace gas augers all together.  It is funny, My buddy I fish with alot quit bringing his jiffy gas auger and just has me punch holes for him. 

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:15 PM »
I used a strikemaster auger sharpener today, man they work great!  Cheap china blades cutting like surgical steel!  Dora just rips it up!  I raced a buddy with a jiffy gas auger and got blown away, lol.  No chance.  But I can drill as many 8" holes as I want with no signs of wear to battery or drill.  With sharp blades I drilled over 20 holes through 10" of ice today on one charge.  Smokin!!!!  Everywhere I go people flock to this auger, taking pics and sending it to their friends.  People started calling me MacGyver around my home lake, I guess it fits.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Jan 23, 2015, 05:54 PM »
I am glad you are enjoying your invention. Glad to see others asking about it and taking pictures. Shows it was worth all the work you put into it. Congrats on a fine invention.
<===Lefty===

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 23, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Thanks,  I for sure put it to the test these last two weeks, and not a problem to be had.  After using it for a few weeks I realize how needed gear reduction really is for 8" holes, and will for sure be making many more to come.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #89 on: Jan 24, 2015, 04:11 PM »
will for sure be making many more to come.
Glad to hear it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.