Author Topic: Dry box  (Read 8071 times)

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
Dry box
« on: Feb 20, 2015, 05:19 PM »
What are you guys running for dry boxes for the front and rear racks on your ATV? Can just about all be mounted to about any rack system? I'm looking to be able to load up the ATV with the Eskimo 949i, Z71 shark, Mr.Heater, Bucket with poles and tackle box. Trying to not have to drag a sled?????
Charles E.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Dry box
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:00 PM »
I've got a double wide milk crate for the front, holds the minnow pail, 5lb propane tank and any fish on the return trip.  The rear box is about 12" front to rear, 12 inches high and 40 inches wide.  also have an aluminum one fro Home depot of all places, made for ATV use.   Most of the boxes can be mounted by using 1/4 inch "U" bolts around the racks and into the box.  On Yamahas, there are 5/16th holes pre drilled in the racks front and rear.

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2015, 08:36 PM »
It would be great to just take the 4x4 out with everything on it and no sled, But I'm sure it looks like a house moving across the ice lol
Charles E.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2015, 06:03 AM »
I have this system

It has served me well the last few years. I leave it on year around and am finding myself always putting something in it.

WS

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2015, 05:37 PM »
Thanks but it doesn't look like they make the large monster box anymore???
I have this system

It has served me well the last few years. I leave it on year around and am finding myself always putting something in it.

WS
Charles E.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:06 PM »
To be honest I am not sure if they ever did make a large. Mine is called a medium box and I can put about as much gear in it as I own. A buddy crammed 5 coyotes in his! lol

With the 5 gallon bucket holder, the auger tube or rod box, it is a very nice system.

Good luck whichever direction you decide to go! I was just offering an option.

WS

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:24 PM »
I'm really leaning to this setup with the auger and bucket attachment

Thanks

To be honest I am not sure if they ever did make a large. Mine is called a medium box and I can put about as much gear in it as I own. A buddy crammed 5 coyotes in his! lol

With the 5 gallon bucket holder, the auger tube or rod box, it is a very nice system.

Good luck whichever direction you decide to go! I was just offering an option.

WS
Charles E.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:32 PM »
You are most welcome 08megacab!

The only thing that is a little misleading and probably won't concern you anyway, is of the three optional attachments, bucket holder, auger tube, rod case, only 2 of the 3 can be used at a time.

Just a heads up.

WS

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2015, 08:39 PM »
I was looking at a few pics at ATV'S and I see a lot of the rod and augers but I just want the bucket and auger for it. 
You are most welcome 08megacab!

The only thing that is a little misleading and probably won't concern you anyway, is of the three optional attachments, bucket holder, auger tube, rod case, only 2 of the 3 can be used at a time.

Just a heads up.

WS
Charles E.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2015, 11:41 PM »
http://www.otteroutdoors.onlineofficesystem.com/details.php?prodID=37

This is definitely the ATV cargo box for the hardwater enthusiast. Little over 10 cubic feet of storage & great selection of mountable attachments. Not a bad price either. I've seen lesser quality boxes advertised at higher prices. I like it !! Hmmm.....I may have to get me one.

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2015, 02:52 PM »
I use the Otter box system and absolutely love it! I use the auger holder on one side and a homemade thing on the other side that holds two milk crates (instead of the bucket holder or rod case). Here's a pic of the two milk crates I mounted. They are easily removed from the slot where you would mount the bucket holder/rod case/auger holder. I just didn't want to pay $45 for one bucket holder. Otter missed the mark on this. They should have put in another mounting slot so a guy could put two bucket holders on. And made the bucket holders more affordable. You can see the Berkley rod holder I also mounted on the rack. That allows me to quickly switch rods when the fish are picky, or to quickly put my rod(s) away and move to the next hole. I have since cut the rod holder in half horizontally so that I have 2 holders for 3 rods each. :) I also put little eye hooks on the sides of the rod holder and run a small bungee between them. When I plan to make a longer ride on the ATV and have rods in the holder, I simply run the bungee over the top of the rod handles so they don't bounce out in transit.

I also put an LED strip in the box and wired it to a switch. The switch is plugged into a two prong quick disconnect that goes directly to the ATV battery. You can see that I put a piece of scrap carpet in the bottom of the box to help keep things from sliding around (and they will - they still get jostled around, but the carpet helps). At the top of the middle picture, you can see the piece of foam that I use to keep my knees dry when kneeling by the hole. It's held up by two bungees so it's out of the way.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Good work! I may have to go to Menard's yet tonight!  ;D

I have carpet in mine also, it really helps.

Good job Ice_Addict! Thanks for sharing!

WS

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:03 PM »
That's an awesome set-up IA !! If you don't mind me asking, what are the inside dimensions of the box ??

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:04 PM »
That's an awesome set-up IA !! If you don't mind me asking, what are the inside dimensions of the box ??

Otter's site says 35"L x 42"W x 19"H. The walls are thin, so that's pretty close to the inside dimensions. I've seen guys mount rod holders on the underside of the lid where I have my foam pad. I had a bungee net that's made for motorcycles that works great on the top of the box to hold things in. I just bent the hooks so it always stays on the box. It works great to just slip a small cooler, rod bag or extra clothing under it.

The monster box is awesome, lots of possibilities! 😃

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2015, 09:18 PM »
I took a little different path. I still bought the otter shield for the auger and two bucket holders but didn't buy the otter monster box. I bought a Q/B rear drop basket rack and mounting the otter attachments on it. The more I looked at the monster box and tried to get on and off the 4x4 atv they had setup with the rod and auger it just didn't feel right. It just seemed like I was kicking the shield on one side and then the rod box on the other. Its a great concept and I really wanted it but I don't feel like kicking things while getting on and off the machine. Wish they would have made the box a little longer to move the attachments back farther. I will post pic's of the route I went so you all can poke fun at it lol     
I have this system

WS
Charles E.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:12 PM »
Otter's site says 35"L x 42"W x 19"H. The walls are thin, so that's pretty close to the inside dimensions. I've seen guys mount rod holders on the underside of the lid where I have my foam pad. I had a bungee net that's made for motorcycles that works great on the top of the box to hold things in. I just bent the hooks so it always stays on the box. It works great to just slip a small cooler, rod bag or extra clothing under it.

The monster box is awesome, lots of possibilities! 😃

Thanks for the info I_A.....Much appreciated !! Think I'll plan on one for next season.

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2015, 10:50 AM »
I took a little different path. I still bought the otter shield for the auger and two bucket holders but didn't buy the otter monster box. I bought a Q/B rear drop basket rack and mounting the otter attachments on it. The more I looked at the monster box and tried to get on and off the 4x4 atv they had setup with the rod and auger it just didn't feel right. It just seemed like I was kicking the shield on one side and then the rod box on the other. Its a great concept and I really wanted it but I don't feel like kicking things while getting on and off the machine. Wish they would have made the box a little longer to move the attachments back farther. I will post pic's of the route I went so you all can poke fun at it lol   

You bring up some good feedback, megacab. Depending on how far back you mount the box and your ATV model, I can see how the auger holder reduces the room for getting on and off. I have mine mounted on a Polaris Sportsman and mounted it far enough back so that I can still get the seat off in case I need to access the battery, air filter, etc, and have room for a passenger if needed.

I'd love to see how you ended up setting yours up. It might strike some other modification ideas. I am always looking to improve. :)

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2015, 11:54 AM »
It's not done yet but this is the idea, I need to felt line the inside of the steel brackets that hang on the basket so it doesn't damage the finish. I have rags in there now to stop that. Need to either powder coat the steel brackets or bed liner them. But everything fits perfect and need to do a test run out on the ice.

Charles E.

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:07 PM »
That's a great set up!

I use a bungee to hold my auger in the tube similar to you. I got tired of the bungee falling when I pulled the auger out or put it in so I took a piece of wire and wrapped it around the bungee so it can't fall anymore. Quick and simple mod that may or may not benefit you. :)

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2015, 01:10 PM »
Forgot to mention that you may find out that your bucket holder and auger tube swing away from your drop rack when on rough terrain - unless you hold the bottom of them tight to the rack somehow. Hopefully this makes sense.

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2015, 02:10 PM »
I do have the bottom secured to the rack with hand twist nuts. They don't move at all and you can't pull them off. They all are easy on and easy off from the rack with no tools.
Forgot to mention that you may find out that your bucket holder and auger tube swing away from your drop rack when on rough terrain - unless you hold the bottom of them tight to the rack somehow. Hopefully this makes sense.
Charles E.

Offline Ice_Addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2015, 03:25 PM »
I do have the bottom secured to the rack with hand twist nuts. They don't move at all and you can't pull them off. They all are easy on and easy off from the rack with no tools.

Perfect! You should be set once you get the metal brackets painted/lined. Please share any other mods or ideas you come up with. :)

Offline wagzilla278

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Ice Addict, I got an otter box once I saw your setup and am going to make a double milk crate setup as well.  How did you make the "female" side of the otter bracket to slide the crates on and off? 

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2017, 07:26 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.