Author Topic: Sled Decisions/Advice  (Read 1294 times)

Offline alumabass

• IceShanty Rookie
Sled Decisions/Advice
« on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I have been looking at some late 80's early 90's machines, Skandics, Tundras, Safaris, and Bravos, I like the simplicity of these machines, but they function well too. The prices run from $1300.00 to $1700.00, but they are a long way from home too.  Are these prices decent for clean sleds of this age, or are there better options for less money? I want to find something just for ice fishing duties, nothing fancy is needed and it does not need to go fast.  Any help will be appreciated.

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sled Decisions/Advice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:46 PM »
I have a 1986 Yamaha ovation. The thing does 35 down hill. I have it fitted with a tool box in back and rack in front. I also tore the seat off and welded on a swivel seat. Doesn't look pretty but it works good for ice. Paid $225. If its just for ice fishing and it were me I would find something cheaper you can mod and have fun with and then spend the rest of your budget on more gear ha.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2012, 09:01 AM »
That sounds reasonable for sleds of that era, with low miles and in good condition. Sleds with some battle scars, and that need some cosmetic and mechanical work can usually be had for much less.

They are perfect ice fishing machines, I run a 1997 Tundra, and have no complaints.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2012, 07:42 AM »
The Skandics and Tundras are very desirable sleds for ice fishing. They are also kinda rare, since they are geared differently not a lot of people buy them to trail ride, so the owners get top dollar for them. A comparable basic trail sled is going to be half what you would pay for one of the long or wide track utility machines. As far as the Safaris and Bravos, if people are trying to get $1300-$1700 for them, they shouldn't be able to sleep at night. A late 90's Bravo sold for like $2300 brand new. I see them out here for $300-500 running and in decent shape.

If you get your heart set on a Tundra or Skandic, pay close attention to the condition of the track. A Skandic has a 2' wide track and it will run you $1200 just for the track itself. Tundras have long tracks, but not wide, and they are a bit more standard, so you'd be able to get something for reasonable money, but still a $600 item for sure.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline teambudlite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:23 PM »
safaris should be a dime a dozen or at least they are around here, in fact my father sold a mint one (800km) for $300 2 years ago 

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:02 PM »
I would definitely look around.  The utility type sleds are nice but as stated hard to find.  I paid $100 for the cougar I just picked up.  The sled was in great shape but was not in running condition. Actually has electric start, reverse and handwarmers along with a factory hitch.  I've got it running well now and that's my biggest concern.  I really don't want to get stranded out there.

In my opinion look for a good running fan cooled sled because it is light and will not be as temperamental in low-snow conditions.  Also on a warm day it should still run cool enough on the ice with the fan to not be of any concern.  Doesn't have to win any pageants just as long as it's mechanically sound.

Offline steamjockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Find yourself a mid 90's Polaris Indy 500 Classic...fan or liquid cooled.  Bullet proof sleds....I own 3 of them.  I like the liquid cooled ones but for Icefishing the fan cooled will work well...the Classic has reverse and electric start....you will love 'em!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Offline steamjockey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:21 PM »
oh one more thing....you should find these for about $800...at least around here.  the only work I needed to do on these is replace bearings on the suspension wheels...simple and cheap...$150 in parts and you are all set...
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.