Author Topic: Four Wheeler do you need 4x4 for on the lake?  (Read 12697 times)

Offline Icecracka46

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My favorite fishing partner
Re: Four Wheeler do you need 4x4 for on the lake?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 06, 2009, 05:33 AM »
I'm putting some chains on my 1990 Yamaha warrior (4x2). I can say i won't even bother in more than a few inches of snow.
I just don't want the hassle.
I'll let ya know how i make out.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:31 AM »
always go for the 4x4!!   and only go as far as you can in 2wd is my motto   after you get it it's too late to keep wishing you got the 4wd!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #32 on: Oct 06, 2009, 06:27 PM »
I am going to give a Honda ATC three wheeler a shot this year I am on the Petenwell flowage. Most of the time wind swept with enough paths to follow .Question is I plan on studing up the rear wheels should I also do the front? any ideas before the season.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 06, 2009, 07:29 PM »
I am going the 3 wheeler route this year as well, I bought a 250 big red to pull the porti. I put wooley buggers on the rear and plan on studding all 3 tires. If the studs dont work, time for tire chains.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #34 on: Oct 07, 2009, 05:13 AM »
I am going to give a Honda ATC three wheeler a shot this year I am on the Petenwell flowage. Most of the time wind swept with enough paths to follow .Question is I plan on studing up the rear wheels should I also do the front? any ideas before the season.
Yes do the front also! Those days across the slick stuff and you won't be able to turn. I use short screws with a 5/16 head. Put them in with a lightweight battery drill for control so you don't strip them out when you put them in. In other words to make sure the screw stops turning once it touches the knob. If your tires are worn be careful not to use too long of screws. I buy mine in packs of 100. It takes a long time to put them in, I suggest you start now, and don't wait till the last minute. You can't put too many in your rear tires, I allways think I should of put some more in. In the front you will only need a few down the middle to give you enough traction to be able to turn. I used a Honda 70 three wheeler for years. The automatic clutch had to be adjusted so it wouldn't slip with all the screws, which made it shift hard, but would pull like crazy with only 5hp. Remember that when you get those screws in there it will pull harder and not spin. Make sure your chain is adjusted and your wheels are tightened up. Air pressure good so the tires won't come loose of the rim.

I found an old picture of my three wheeler 70.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:25 AM »
For the front you can add a 10" ski or Make a ski out of a 55 gallon plastic barrel.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #36 on: Oct 07, 2009, 09:43 AM »
i use a honda 200s 3 wheeler but only use it with a couple inches of snow on the ice.it does the job with just the balloonies on it and it goes pretty good haulin out the gear.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Oct 09, 2009, 02:21 PM »
I just picked up a Polaris sportsman 500 H.O. X2 last year. Dealership is 2.5 miles away, (biggest reason why I want Polaris) all the others are 8 or 9 miles away. I just liked Polaris. This thing is a tank, 4 ft snow drifts are easily pushed with plow and havent gotten stuck once. I got the 4x4 and I am willing to bet that if you bought new or within the last 5 years most quads will be standard 4x4. What I would look at is the price difference, if it's only a few hundred dollars more to get 4x4 get it, if it's outa your price range well thats a different story. My thinking is it's better to have it and only use it sometimes than not have it and need it, but if your gonna get stuck it doesn't matter if you  have 4x4 or not, your gonna get stuck regardless.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 09, 2009, 08:06 PM »
2007 Yamaha 450 auto 4X4,,,,,,,,,,,haven't been stuck yet.......but wouldn't be without 4X4......never....

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Oct 12, 2009, 12:05 PM »
The more go you have the deeper the hole you have to dig out of, and the farther from help you will get.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #40 on: Oct 13, 2009, 06:26 AM »
The more go you have the deeper the hole you have to dig out of, and the farther from help you will get.
You are right about that! If I am planning on spending several hours on the ice, I have to watch the weather for more snow. With my two wheel drive I might not get back too easy. :flex:
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #41 on: Oct 13, 2009, 06:54 AM »

This thing doesn't seem to care about how deep a hole is out there.  ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Oct 16, 2009, 05:19 PM »
Like I said I only go as far as I can in 2 wheel drive  and if I get stuck I still have a chance of getting out by putting it in 4x4   My utv has the option of engaging a differential lock for the rear wheels  thats the last chance get out of trouble!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #43 on: Oct 18, 2009, 03:54 PM »
Whether it's deep snow, thin ice, or open water;
it's so much easier to go OVER it than to go THROUGH it . . . so . . .
the best, easiest and safest strategy it is to STAY ON TOP.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2010, 09:26 PM »
I had a Bayou 300 2x4 with diff lock for a few years and I can only remember 1 time that I actually had issues. 95% of the time it was fine.  If all you can find/afford is a 2wd then go for it you will be happier than you would be walking and you can always upgrade. 
l

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.