Author Topic: Quick set Rigs  (Read 5143 times)

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Quick set Rigs
« on: Jan 15, 2004, 06:52 PM »
Can you buy them or do you have to make them.
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Quick set Rigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:26 PM »
I think you mean Quick Strike?

Either, I make mine but they are also available commerically.

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:49 PM »
where can you buy them online?

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:04 AM »
They are called quick strike and/or quick set. I've seen both terms commonly used. Go to google and put in eitheir one in the search field. If you don't want to buy the materials and make them yourself, and there is no baitshop near you that sells or makes them, there are many places on line. It gets kind of pricey.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:32 AM »
how about a step by step on making them? that would be very helpful.and hey guys do you think my 40 lb braided backing will suffice or should i use something different i have an extra set of traps i use and i could put new backing on them.any suggestions?

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:43 AM »
You'll get suggestions......belie ve me. Most of these guys really know their stuff. I use 50# black dacron tied to a 45# 2' black teflon coated leader attached to a quick strike rig. The rig consist of two treble hooks #1 for the mouth and #3 for the stinger. They are adjustable for the size of bait being used. My buddy makes them for me.....he owns a tackle shop. I'm sure if you want to make your own someone will have the step by step directions.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2004, 11:35 AM »
I make my own.  If you want to buy them commerically, go to Thorn Brothers.  They are out of the mid west Web site Thornbros.com I think?  I have ordered stuff from them more than once and been very happy with the service.  I think the qwick strike leaders were listed with the ice fishing line?  I could be wrong here, but I do remember seeing that they sold them.
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 02:42 PM »
i'm going to ask this question, regardless of whether its controversial or not. i dont want anyone to take this the wrong way.. why are there so many anglers using multiple treble rigs that almost guarantees a hook set,either inside the mouth, or outside the fish. seems to me, that with so much catch and release with the intent to do as little harm to the fish,that this is counter-productive;especially with fish that are hitting aggressively. some anglers use deadbait and gorge hooks with the treble hooked at the head. many lakes have minimum slot sizes, and half or more of these fish end up with trebles in the gut. how do you release a fish like this??? with a hook that will dissolve in a few weeks?? will it still be able to eat?? as you can see, my fishing is pro single hook, (some times treble) but a little technique in landing a fish is my way of having a great day..just a thought :P  grumpy

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2004, 02:48 PM »
Matt your budy in mass.has a store and makes them does he sell them?

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2004, 03:17 PM »
Actually quite the opposite grump. On a quick strike you can set the hook immediately and not have to worry about the bait being inhaled. I think you know by now, I release everything and it's my main priority. There's lots of times I hear guys mention set the hook on the second run with a single hook. Which is fine if you see the initial run, but you could of missed the first and even second run, thus the critter has the bait in its belly. I've even tried circle hooks. I have been kicking around the idea of cutting one of the trebles off so 1 hook in bait, other exposed. I also don't use small bait. 8" is my minimum and usually the pike only has one treble in his mouth. I'm glad you are concerned about my friends well being.  :)

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2004, 03:23 PM »
muskiematt  i can appreciate the setup while angling with a rod, but its the unattended rig where this works counter-productively.  :-[

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2004, 04:50 PM »

They hook them as soon as it hits, so no swallowing occurs.
get two size  6 trebles and slide one of them about 2-3" above the line, then tie the next one on.
         hook one of  the hooks in the minnow's tail and the other one by their head. ( fleshy part just past tail.) this will make it sit horizontally
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Grump - I'm not blessed with the best pike/tiger fishing around....but my main goal is to release and to date have not killed a single pike. I take it as serious as a heart attack. I love ice fishing and releasing fish.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2004, 12:49 AM »
check your regs fellas.  In MN only one hook is allowed and a treble counts as three.  Unless it is part of a lure.  I do not know how this rig would fall into what catagory.  And I am not saying that it is illegal.  I do have one tip up with a treble on it but it comes witha small spinner blade.  Also for the most part it is the last one that I use.  Unless I am targeting big pike.  usually I fet up for both pike and eyes.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:52 AM »
Absolutly LEGAL in Massachusetts and New York. That's where I fish and know the regs. If you don't around here you'll pay for it! ;)

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2004, 06:05 PM »
Thanks guys Just found out you cant use them in maine $#&$##$#^!!!!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Loveice and twodogs,  Here's an interesting question???  Are you allowed to fish with baits like Rapalas, Muskie baits, Etc..??  You know, soft water baits that usually have two or even three trebles attached to the lure?  I don't know if each state has a loophole in the regs, sounds like maybe a possiblity?  Some states like Washington state are extremely foggy over this law.  Required us asking the game warden for clarification, and they were more than glad to give us the nod. :)  
TEAM ALASKA

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2004, 04:09 AM »
totally legal in maine isthe word im getting as long as both hooks are in the same bait

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.