The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cold Predictions  (Read 6601 times)

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cold Predictions
« Reply #60 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:23 AM »
There is gonna be lots of ice for the coming weeks but you may have to fish above I 80  .

I don't know.  I just looked at the 10 Day forecast for Wellsboro, and it didn't look promising.  Highs in the upper 30s or low 40s and lows in the upper 20s.  Not a big fan.  If they already had 8" or 10" of ice, then I would think they could weather the storm pretty well - but it sounds like most of their lakes are still building toward safe ice. 
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 21, 2020, 12:53 PM »
There is gonna be lots of ice for the coming weeks but you may have to fish above I 80  .
Your gonna have to go further than north of 80 I fear. I’m right at 80 where I live and your still talking fifty plus miles north of me to where I’ve found any safe ice this year and even that fell out this last warm spell. I’m hoping it rebuilds enough to fish a day or so before next week. Then it looks too warm to build any ice in the extended. I hope your right but I’m thinking about the boat again.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #63 on: Jan 21, 2020, 01:17 PM »
even geoengineering aint workin,its warmin up here already wind is from the west north west turning toward south. another volcano,australia on fire and a lot of hot air in our senate is causing a shift in the polar vortex.trees are budding,robins are plucking worms,and GOD is still on his throne,soooooooooooooo
PRAISE GOD
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 21, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Amen Mo
Ice fisherman’s prayer - May God make ice, keep us safe, grant us a few fish and the health to do it again year after year.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #65 on: Jan 21, 2020, 05:54 PM »
i can say yes and amen to that
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:48 PM »
I  just spent 8 days in up State New York  in the Adirondacks had  good ice on all the lakes I fished got out 5 days fishing was okay for perch and gills...had one break off  big Splake  I think that what they call them temperature was. 7 below this morning...a great trip

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:17 AM »
It was 10° this morning at my house and it's been in the low teens for almost a week with day time temps right around freezing and below a few days. I took a ride up through Mt.Pocono and passed a few lakes and they were all capped over and looking good. I didn't have any gear with me so I didn't stop at Brady's to check it out but I'm bet there is ice on it. I wanna check Promised Land this afternoon. I'll see if the Mrs can live without me for an afternoon...

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 22, 2020, 05:57 AM »
I have a friend who lives in the northern tier. He is kindly going to give me a first person report this afternoon on a few of those lakes. I guess the theme of this thread is still “fingers crossed”.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:59 AM »
NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;)  I'm taking Friday off to fish before the next snowstorm hits!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I wanna icefish in the snowstorm! Let it snow... I got a Smitty sled!!! ;D

Offline andrew10493

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:36 PM »

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 22, 2020, 08:07 PM »

I just want to fish...
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:41 PM »

From what I saw on the news tonight it's not looking too good, the weather guy said it's supposed to start as freezing rain then work it's way over to snow.  With that on top of the thickness of the ice my hopes aren't too high for safe ice this weekend.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 23, 2020, 04:37 AM »
WNEP just said mostly rain followed by a cold front. Fingers crossed.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:45 AM »
Mother Nature is sure throwing us a lot of CURVEBALLS this season!  ::)

I may take off and try to get in a day of good fishing tomorrow before the SLOP comes in!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:37 AM »
Has anyone seen any reports on any lakes with fishable ice yet? I just landed in Pittsburgh and am willing to drive to any lake with enough ice. Just have not seen any reports showing fishable ice yet.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline Bull gill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Lots of rain predicted for Friday and Friday night with amounts 1/2" to 3/4" , couple that with a strong SE breeze and that,s going to break down any ice that formed very quickly. Long range above average temps forecast as well.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:50 AM »
I'm not even gonna look at that! Your handle should be BUZZ KILL!  ::)  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 24, 2020, 04:48 AM »
With February just around the corner.....I could care less at this point....rain,wind,and higher temps will destroy the little we have....not being pessimistic.....but open water fishing has been good a couple weeks ago....buying a boat has been the best investment the last 2years....getting 60 big perch on a January day isn't a bad thing....hope for ice but mildly temps aren't so bad either.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.