The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cold Predictions  (Read 6616 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cold Predictions
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:01 AM »
even if a lake is capped over, 5-8" of snow isn't going to hurt much. Especially if there's a wind blowing to clear some off the lake. All it will do is make you use yer Smitty sled!!! Now all ya gotta do is find a lake that still has decent ice on it.

I agree Spider! And now they’re saying only 3-6”. And starting tomorrow night the temps are gonna be COLD!

In fact I like what I see for the next week or so!

Where's the FISH?!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2020, 07:49 AM »
If the lake is capped over only an inch or two with 6" of snow on top, remember that is a lot more weight on the ice which makes it dangerous.  Plus it doesn't take much snow to insulate the ice on a lake and prevent from growing thicker.  Better hope for strong winds.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:09 AM »
If the lake is capped over only an inch or two with 6" of snow on top, remember that is a lot more weight on the ice which makes it dangerous.  Plus it doesn't take much snow to insulate the ice on a lake and prevent from growing thicker.  Better hope for strong winds.

This is my concern.  The insulative effect of the snow preventing the ice from building at the rate we want.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:10 AM »

This is my concern.  The insulative effect of the snow preventing the ice from building at the rate we want.

SLUSH!!!   :o :o :o
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:29 AM »
I don’t think the snow will be a worry this week. It looks like it should cap over this weekend and the little rain might help clear off any snow that might be left and then making ice all next week! I get back into town Thursday and plan to be out there Thursday night on safe ice... or hope too
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:40 AM »
Jack frost is on his way. This is like waiting for Christmas day all over again. Stay safe guys and gals.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 16, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Here in SEPA  The forecast is only a little snow changing to sleet & rain. Hope they are right. & we get good clear ice after the storm is over.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 16, 2020, 09:30 PM »
Here in SEPA  The forecast is only a little snow changing to sleet & rain. Hope they are right. & we get good clear ice after the storm is over.

Ontalaunee might actually see some safe ice soon.

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 16, 2020, 10:03 PM »
Copt.
Looks promising for ice on the big O and there NE lakes should lock up nice with the below freezing temps through next Friday and some lows in the teens at night.
Good luck to everyone and stay safe.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2020, 04:39 AM »
Can't see the snow hurting us this weekend.  Many lakes are now without any ice and if you get the 6 inches, it wont bother any base.  Looks good upcoming week for ice making.  Hoping to get out somewhere next Saturday.  Nez

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2020, 06:45 AM »
Think this weekend is probably a NO GO. But should be good for next weekend!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2020, 07:04 AM »
Up here in Up State New York we have zero with a wind chills -20 ....

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:34 PM »
Nothing seems to have locked up in southern Luzerne county as of today. I believe it’ll probably cap or start to cap most places tonight with the calm wind and low temps. Hopefully by next weekend some of our more local haunts will be safe. I’m hoping for zero snow not just for the ice but it’s gonna end up postponing a gig for my band which means I’ll probably have to play it another night when we have safe ice ! Lol
Fingers crossed .
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2020, 02:41 PM »
Think this weekend is probably a NO GO. But should be good for next weekend!

Hoping the same!  Might need to look into getting some live bait soon!
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2020, 05:44 PM »
finaly got my 2020 ice fishin license.you say ice fishing license, yes bout the only time i can fish  :o too busy rest of the time and gettin older aint helping things.might be a jiggy guy this year,NOT!the olman in the mirror talking trash lol tipups standing at attention inda bucket waiting to see action,SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON  :icefish:
GOD BLESS YA
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 18, 2020, 09:24 AM »
Well, doesn't look like ice any time soon in the sw part I'd the state.  3 cold days followed by mid 40s until February.  I can't remember a year where we actually built ice in February.  This winter sucks.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 18, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Yea the forecast changed here in SEPA too. Last night was only 21 . Not the 16 they were calling for. I rode by 1 of our first to freeze lakes & it's all open water. Rassafratza  !!!

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #47 on: Jan 18, 2020, 01:51 PM »
I googled ice growth on a lake and it looks like we need the average temp to be in the 20's for a week for the shores in NEPA to refreeze. Forget about fishing Luzerne County for a few weeks. How are things in Lac, Pike, Monroe and Wayne County? I just filled up my gas tank.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline icefishermik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 18, 2020, 02:21 PM »
finaly got my 2020 ice fishin license.you say ice fishing license, yes bout the only time i can fish  :o too busy rest of the time and gettin older aint helping things.might be a jiggy guy this year,NOT!the olman in the mirror talking trash lol tipups standing at attention inda bucket waiting to see action,SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON  :icefish:
GOD BLESS YA
mo
Mo,
you must be eligable for senior lifetime license by now old man. Got mine 2 years ago. Too bad we can't use them yet this season. wishin['and hopin'. I missed the two day window when we could have fished right before Christmas.

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2020, 04:38 PM »
Here at a pond near Lake Shohola (Elevation here around 1400), it was fully open last night, and still about a third open today.

I'm a bit conservative on ice conditions, so I don't expect to be out on the ice next weekend.  The forecast seems like it should build around 4" of ice this week, not taking into account the springs.  Oh well, I'll just keep measuring as it builds.   

How are things in Lac, Pike, Monroe and Wayne County? I just filled up my gas tank.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 18, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Mo,
you must be eligable for senior lifetime license by now old man. Got mine 2 years ago. Too bad we can't use them yet this season. wishin['and hopin'. I missed the two day window when we could have fished right before Christmas.
ha ha got a couple years togo for that life time license!also missed the window due to pro cast ination lol was enjoying the beautiful weather we were having here in SWPA had mower out 12 27 19 picking up leaves.also working on draining pool cover lol all springtime chores not winter stuff  :o been fighting AIT its debilitating having autoimmune flare ups been studing Dr. izzabella wentz on how to combat AIT/autoimmune.hope your aging well and every one have a healthful ice fishing 2020
GOD BLESS YA"all
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2020, 03:51 AM »
Good news is the snow they called for never really developed. We got like an inch of snow followed by hours of sleet. It stayed pretty cold and after today it looks great. I’m gonna take a ride today and look a few places over. Report to follow.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:19 AM »
Tusc has ice covering all but a two acre or so patch in the center. Only about an inch of ice by the shore. Temps are falling here. I’ll try to keep checking through the week.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:04 AM »
Mr. Charlie......thanks for the info. Your reports are appreciated.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 19, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Anytime. I would’ve added some pictures but it was pretty dark still. Lol
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 19, 2020, 09:16 PM »
now we need the wind to stop blowin,howlin,screamin ETC then its gonna make ice,its close to booger freezin out there lol
GOD

BLESS
mo

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2020, 07:31 AM »
This is such a tease. The long range forecast is depressing.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 21, 2020, 09:59 AM »
This is such a tease. The long range forecast is depressing.

You said it.

Offline jdfoxpro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dorothy
« Reply #58 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:09 AM »
There is gonna be lots of ice for the coming weeks but you may have to fish above I 80  .

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 21, 2020, 10:15 AM »
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.