Author Topic: Ceviche?  (Read 5462 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ceviche?
« on: Mar 20, 2020, 12:00 PM »
In Mexico, we would take limes, onion, garlic, cilantro, and put thin sliced fish in the bag with the above and make ceviche right on the boat. Has anyone tried this on the ice? I am thinking perch could be outstanding, as well as trout. Any health concerns?

:tipup:

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ceviche?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2020, 02:19 PM »

Raw fresh water fish can possibly make you sick , http:// The lime juice will not kill any type of parasites in fish; if at most, the juice will make the worms taste better.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Don’t eat freshwater fish raw! Loaded with parasites and bacteria that can make your very sick!

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2020, 09:37 AM »
If you are going to try it, freeze it for at least 48 hrs.,that should kill any parasites. I have not made Ceviche ,but I do make Pickled fish quite often & always freeze the fish ,first.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline NorEasterInMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2020, 10:52 AM »
I have had pike ceviche. It was delish. Give this a read for some guidance: https://honest-food.net/ceviche-recipe-safety-parasites-2/

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:23 PM »
Yikes! I guess this is a reminder that lots of things we did when we lived in Mexico were probably a bad idea.

Thanks for the warnings!

:tipup: :P

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Pay attention to the last bit lol

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2020, 05:43 PM »
Most home freezers don't go cold enough to kill the nastys. I know of 4 cases locally of parasite infection from pickled pike. One instances I was offered picked fish at work. I turned it down. 2 co workers ended up with tape worms.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2020, 10:10 AM »
Boil the fish on the ice first and then make a traditional ceviche recipe, one extra step but it tastes the same and no risk of getting sick. The only freshwater fish I have made it with without cooking first is Lake Michigan kings.
Da Pack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.