Author Topic: Pike Recipes  (Read 4119 times)

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike Recipes
« on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Normally filet my pike but just baked two and pulled the bones out. How about some recipes like fish cakes, casseroles, etc.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pike Recipes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Filet and then cut into small chunks. Put in pot with water, some sugar, lemon juice and some garlic powder and season salt. Boil until fish turns white. Drain. Now melt butter with some garlic powder. Dip pike pieces in the butter mixture and enjoy.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:56 AM »
In this area people will boil pike in Sprite or SevenUp and then dip in melted butter. I have done it this way and it is very good.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Try Andrew Zimmern crab cakes and just bake the fish with some Old bay prior to using in the recipe. Don't over bake and over mix. You can't stop eating them. Any fish works in this.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:14 AM »
fillet and  fry  or  grill with  salsa on top  serve on rice

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Filet and then cut into small chunks. Put in pot with water, some sugar, lemon juice and some garlic powder and season salt. Boil until fish turns white. Drain. Now melt butter with some garlic powder. Dip pike pieces in the butter mixture and enjoy.

Did some pickerel that way this past weekend and its always good..... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Fish Chowder!
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Thanks fellas I will try a few of them.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:19 PM »
i just cooked this one  and wanted  to share it its  so easy and taste  great

get a  baking pan  pre heat oven to 400 lay fillets  in  pand  then sprink with garlic powder  and montreal steak seasoning  cover back for  about 20 minutes   serve  with a  nice  hot veggie

Offline shiloh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:15 AM »
First off, it would be beneficial if you learned the art of filleting a pike whereby you end up with one boneless fillet per side. Time consuming but not difficult.
You will love this one. Start by making up a court bouillon consisting of water, Old Bay or crab boil mix, a sprig or two of fresh parsley, pinch of dried tarragon, a few peppercorns (optional) and a good splash of white wine or vermouth. This will be your poaching liquid. Cut pike (NO BONES) into bite size pieces 1"-2". Bring court bouillon to a simmer (small bubbles). Poach fish for 4-5 minutes and remove from liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate to drain.
Mix together 1/2 cup of softened butter or margarine, 6 TBS mayonnaise, 1/2 tps Worcestershire sauce, a generous dash of tabasco or sriracha, sliced green onions and 1 cup of grated cheese.
Place fish in individual au gratin dishes or in a baking dish large enough to hold in a single layer. Spread cheese mixture over fish and place under preheated broiler for 2-3 minutes until topping browns and fish flakes easily. I have made this dish with walleye, perch, gills, catfish and bass. Merely adjust poaching time predicated on the thickness of the fillets. Would also be good with scallops or shrimp. Bon Appetit!

BOB (retired chef)

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:54 PM »
....well thank goodness not a single one of you called it"poor mans lobster"  !!
I am haunted by waters...

Offline shiloh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 11:23 AM »
I'm with you there pal. I don't care what lipid you poach your freshwater fish in, how much butter you drench it in, there is no way that it resembles lobster. The only fish that I know of is tilefish as their diet consists mainly of crustaceans.

Offline bgaffney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:35 AM »
Shilo I do know how to get a boneless filet. The two pike I caught were just over four pounds which are a nice eating fish. My technique for fileting is across the back, the back tail sections and feel my way around the front. By baking the smaller fish I was able to use the meat between the y-bones. I will also try your recipe made fishcakes altready. Yummy!

Offline shiloh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:04 AM »
Finished up the last of my pike from 2018 the other night. I did it the same way and the wife liked it so much that when I gave her the option of left over venison shepherds pie or left over pike, she chose the fish. Damn it, I wanted that! I have lots of recipes which I intend to post as time permits.

Offline Brochet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2019, 07:52 PM »
You will love this one. Start by making up a court bouillon consisting of water, Old Bay or crab boil mix, a sprig or two of fresh parsley, pinch of dried tarragon, a few peppercorns (optional) and a good splash of white wine or vermouth. This will be your poaching liquid. Cut pike (NO BONES) into bite size pieces 1"-2". Bring court bouillon to a simmer (small bubbles). Poach fish for 4-5 minutes and remove from liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate to drain.
Mix together 1/2 cup of softened butter or margarine, 6 TBS mayonnaise, 1/2 tps Worcestershire sauce, a generous dash of tabasco or sriracha, sliced green onions and 1 cup of grated cheese.
Place fish in individual au gratin dishes or in a baking dish large enough to hold in a single layer. Spread cheese mixture over fish and place under preheated broiler for 2-3 minutes until topping browns and fish flakes easily.  Bon Appetit!

BOB (retired chef)

Thanks for this recipe !  I've followed this recipe for pike & perch, and love it... will definitely cook more fish this way from now on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.