Author Topic: Fireline spinning on spool  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
Fireline spinning on spool
« on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:32 PM »
My fireline is starting to spin on the spool on my reels.  If I put a rubberband around the spool so it gives grip would it melt the line? Or is there a way to stop this from happing. Looking at the little white squares that hold down the line in the package, I could use one of them? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I like the crystal fireline. Saved a lot of jigs and cranks with this stuff.   
No one left behind.     

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Re: Fireline spinning on spool
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:41 PM »
just put a backing of mono or floro and then attach the fireline to the floro or mono and it will work just fine!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Is it knotted onto the spool? If you tie a good cinching knot and spool it with enough resistance it shouldn't spin.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:53 PM »
just put a backing of mono or floro and then attach the fireline to the floro or mono and it will work just fine!
x2   had the exact same thing happen.thought the drag broke on the reel,after two take apart sessions,saw line spin on spool. ::)

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2012, 09:59 PM »
x3 on the mono backing...

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:43 PM »
agree with the rest,  10 yards or more of mono will prevent line slippage. more mono backing is cheaper, and will save you in the end.  Just add enough fireline you think you'll need and 20 or so more yards to be covered.  It wont slip once tightened.

Offline crappiefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2012, 11:51 PM »
i had the same problem and it has saved me alot of jigs also i found as long as you make sure its real tight at the beggining when you start the spool it wont happen atleast that has worked for me

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:09 AM »
I always use a bit of duct tape to hold my spool end of my fireline to the spool, I haven't personally encountered the slippage problem if I tape it on.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:21 AM »
either mono backing or a little tape o the spool should take care of it

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:24 AM »
x4 on the mono backing, works like a charm
Tight lines

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:35 AM »
x5 on mono backing.  Had the same thing you mentioned happen on my reel when I didn't use a mono backing.  Bro in law also had the same issue, even after I told him to put a mono backing on.  He should have listened to me :P

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Mono backing is the ticket.  You don't need a full spool if superline.  That's a waste.  20 yards is plenty. Spool up a number of reels with one 100 yard spool.

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Put a strip of adhesive tape from the drugstore around your spool before spooling your line. Gives a non-slip surface for the line to grab.

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:31 PM »
I use electrical tape on the spool

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2012, 12:33 PM »
doesn't the tape junk up your spool/line?  I find electrical tape especially bad for this once it's wet/exposed to weather
Tight lines

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:09 PM »
agree with the rest,  10 yards or more of mono will prevent line slippage. more mono backing is cheaper, and will save you in the end.  Just add enough fireline you think you'll need and 20 or so more yards to be covered.  It wont slip once tightened.

I agree with snowman3406.  For more, check out my blog post on braided line:  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/2012/03/save-money-on-braided-line.html
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:50 PM »
doesn't the tape junk up your spool/line?  I find electrical tape especially bad for this once it's wet/exposed to weather
I haent had an issue with it. Except for long lining I've never been down that far on the spool while fishing.

Offline Woodland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:58 PM »
when this happens i dunk my reel in the water...probably not good for the reel but the powerpro sucks back up to the reel and gets rid of the slip.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:06 PM »
For those that say just winding it on tight works for me; beware, one day you will hook the fish of a life time and it will start to spin... I have watched it happen with my clients gear when guiding... Not fun. Mono backing is one of the best ways to go.

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:19 PM »
Ditto on the double stick tape on the spool and a mono backer tied to the fire line with Uni to Uni Knots ! It Will Not slip then !

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 06, 2012, 04:44 PM »
I have also found it useful to "stake" the spool surface or scribe it. That said I always also back my fireline with mono both to keep it from spinning and the fact that it is much cheaper. I use fireline on my bottom bouncer rods and tie my snells with lighter test mono, that way I dont lose anything but the spinner or snell if I snag up.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2012, 06:19 AM »
Some of the new reels coming out come with extra spools that are made to except breaded lines.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2012, 04:40 PM »
Never found the use of adding backing. Just too much trouble.... when the line gets to the point of "not enough", I just turn it onto a different spool and fish the back side.

Far as slipping goes, it's duct tape for me. You don't even need to wrap clear around the arbor, just provide something for the line to dig into and keep from spinning. Don't think you're safe if it's never happened to you. Seems like line put on when it's warm is especially prone to spin once it gets cold out.

The tape trick works especially well on the fly if you've already spooled up. Don't even need to retie, just spool off the line until you reach the knot, add a small piece of duct tape and spool it back up. Do keep it as tight as you can or the line will tend to bury under the stress of a heavy hookset or backlash.

Just my opinion based on my experiences.......User mileage may vary.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.