Author Topic: swivels  (Read 1675 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
swivels
« on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:13 AM »
I want to try a barel swivel about 2 feet about my jig to avoid line twist while fighting fish, I just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys use? Thanks.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: swivels
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2011, 12:07 PM »
in the past i have used plain crane swvels but i just used some of cabela's deluxe ball bearing swivels w solid  rings in the smallest sz. i have only used them 1 outing but liked them so far.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:45 PM »
I bought the smallest ball bearing swivels I could find at cabelas and use them about 8-10" above the lure.  Use them mostly on jigging spoons, Cicadas and heavier lures.  Works really well.  I started with a longer leader but ice rods are so short it's a pain in the ass when the leader is longer than the rod and you can't snug up your line on the hook holder.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Spro
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline simple1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:33 AM »
I like the Blackbird steelhead swivels.  I found them at GM of all places.  Smaller than the smallest SPRO and rated at 30#

Offline slamer58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:21 AM »
spo x2 ........

Offline Hando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:58 AM »
I also use a similar set-up when jigging for perch as I use a lot of spoons.  I am not picky and just use an Eagle Claw red barrell swivel.  Nothing fancy but it works. 
"3/4 of the Earth's surface is water, and 1/4 is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn."

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I have posted this before; If you are going to use a swivel then the best one to use is a Sampo Ball Bearing Swivel (black). Almost all swivels do not turn under torque, Sampo is one of the very few that do (Spro is the next best). Yes they cost more, but none of the other work at all, so the money spent on them is a complete waste.
It always makes me laugh when I look at a wall of swivels in a tackle shop and almost all of them are only good as a sliding weight stopper. Don't take my word for it, hang some (small) weights on a line with a swivel tied in the middle and give the weight a spin. In almost every case you will find that the whole line spins and the swivel never breaks free and lets the lower section spin by its self. With a Sampo the lower section will spin. Barrel swivel should not even be called swivels in my book. They just don’t have the low friction needed to keep the line from spinning. Keep in mind just how easy it is to spin a line and how a swivel needs to be very near to friction free to actual to work. That is why most don’t.

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I have posted this before; If you are going to use a swivel then the best one to use is a Sampo Ball Bearing Swivel (black). Almost all swivels do not turn under torque, Sampo is one of the very few that do (Spro is the next best). Yes they cost more, but none of the other work at all, so the money spent on them is a complete waste.
It always makes me laugh when I look at a wall of swivels in a tackle shop and almost all of them are only good as a sliding weight stopper. Don't take my word for it, hang some (small) weights on a line with a swivel tied in the middle and give the weight a spin. In almost every case you will find that the whole line spins and the swivel never breaks free and lets the lower section spin by its self. With a Sampo the lower section will spin. Barrel swivel should not even be called swivels in my book. They just don’t have the low friction needed to keep the line from spinning. Keep in mind just how easy it is to spin a line and how a swivel needs to be very near to friction free to actual to work. That is why most don’t.

I agree with you to a point. I want to say a few things and correct me if I am way off base. Testing the "ease of turn under torque" out of the water would be different that testing something under water wouldn't it? The effects of gravity under water aren't a great are they? It isn't like when we are jigging under water there is always maximum tension on our line. Another thing to consider would be line stiffness. A stiffer line such as 10# trilene xt wouldn't twist as bad as 8# trilene xl (that's why people who tie spinners for summer fishing use 12-14# xt= minimal line twist). So if one was using a 1/4 oz jig or lighter, and in the jigging motion there is more torque on the swivel at certain times compared to others. So as you pull your jig up in the jigging motion there is more tension on the swivel but as it falls there would be less tension on the swivel and if one was using a stiffer line for a leader (8# abraz x ice), I would say much of the line twist would be removed with a standard grade ball bearing swivel. I do agree that the premium grade sampo ball bearing swivel would be the greatest at reducing line twist, but as you go down the line I think a standard grade ball bearing swivel would help reduce line twist more than a crane swivel and crane swivel slightly more than a barrel swivel (I have found crane and barrel swivels to help minimally in reducing line twist). Just thught I would throw a few things out there... what does everyone else think?

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:19 PM »
Sometime I hope to test some swivels under water to see if there is a difference. All the points you make, may be true to some degree, but what you are saying boils down to using a swivel that might work some of the time, compared to a swivel that works most of the time. The only point I see of using a "Part Time" swivel is to save money, it is a false economy. I have Sampo swivels that I have used for years (fresh water) and still work great and something is wrong with your set up if you are loosing many swivels. The extra cost of  "Full Time" swivels is very small when you consider that 1. They work 2. They last a long time 3. Are made in the USA. 4. Your line will most likely last longer if you use them (saving you more money) 5. And the most important of all (to me) is that when I hook the fish of a life time, its one more part in the length of "chain" that I don't have to give any thought. I find it to be a small price and worth every penny.
I have been a fishing guide and outdoor writer for 20 years and one thing that I have learned is always try to be ready to land a big fish, because you never know when you are going to hook the fish of a life time!
Tight Lines,
Allan Butler

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Sometime I hope to test some swivels under water to see if there is a difference. All the points you make, may be true to some degree, but what you are saying boils down to using a swivel that might work some of the time, compared to a swivel that works most of the time. The only point I see of using a "Part Time" swivel is to save money, it is a false economy. I have Sampo swivels that I have used for years (fresh water) and still work great and something is wrong with your set up if you are loosing many swivels. The extra cost of  "Full Time" swivels is very small when you consider that 1. They work 2. They last a long time 3. Are made in the USA. 4. Your line will most likely last longer if you use them (saving you more money) 5. And the most important of all (to me) is that when I hook the fish of a life time, its one more part in the length of "chain" that I don't have to give any thought. I find it to be a small price and worth every penny.
I have been a fishing guide and outdoor writer for 20 years and one thing that I have learned is always try to be ready to land a big fish, because you never know when you are going to hook the fish of a life time!
Tight Lines,
Allan Butler

yeah i agree. it would be interesting to do some testing under water. If you ever do it be sure to post your findings. I'll use the cabela's ball bearing swivels the rest of the year and see how well they reduce my line twisting. I have noticed a drastic improvement over the crane swivels I used prior. If I am still noticing line twisting by the end of the season I will think about dishing out the extra cash on some sampo swivels. I didn't spend on them right away because I am somewhat careless when handling swivels in the cold if I need to tie something and the last thing I want to be doing is digging through the snow trying to find my $2-3 sampo swivel. At least that's the cheapest I have seen them.
As far as the sampo swivels go, where do you purchase them. I like welded rings (hate split rings) and I want to use the smallest I can find. Where do you recommend buying some if I ever do decide to purchase some? thanks for the info

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Over the years, I have picked up many on sale. With so many anglers afraid to pay a little more, they often sitting on a peg, on the wall in a shop and get marked down. When I find them, I buy all I can swing... They don't go bad. I like to look in older shops, often they will be covered in dust... I bought a whole card board with like 20 swivels (they stapled each swivel to the board years ago) for a buck each, which was great deal as they were saltwater sized and cost the big bucks!
The welded rings are nice, but the big difference between them and split wring is the strength, not really a problem when the smallest ones with split-rings are good for 60+ lbs. If it is the line getting caught in the split-ring (in the off season) you can put a drop or two of epoxy on the "split", your line will be safe and you can save some money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.