Author Topic: Thorne Bros  (Read 2377 times)

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thorne Bros
« on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Are these worth it? I have nearly every other brand. Would like some insight before I drop nearly a Ben Franklin on one.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thorne Bros
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:48 PM »
I love all of mine. :)

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:09 PM »
I own three now, and love them, they a re a great rod, should be one in every arsenal.

Offline nove

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:22 PM »
I own a couple  :) ,and do not think I'll make it thru this ice season without saying I own at least 3.
I feel they are worth the money.

nove

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:24 PM »
I own a couple  :) ,and do not think I'll make it thru this ice season without saying I own at least 3.
I think they are worth the money.

nove

LOL, I've got 5 and have a couple more in mind but I think the wife will shoot me if I don't ease up the spending a bit.

Craig

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I have seven and wouldn't think of fishing another brand
Dave

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Are these worth it? I have nearly every other brand. Would like some insight before I drop nearly a Ben Franklin on one.

Yes...........

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:01 PM »
I have several, & I keep buying more.  worth every penny in my opion.
;

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:52 PM »
ok thx guys

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:08 PM »
I can't tell you if they're worth it but the following is a copy of another of my post.

I bought a few Thorne Bros rods with the full skepticism of intending to disprove the hyped up merit of them.  Unfortunately the rods proved it's worth after a full season of use.  The one thing I like a Thorne Bros Panfish Sweatheart is that it fishes with near the sensitivity of UL St.Croix Premiere but with the load of in between a St.Croix Premeire ML and M rod.  That's about as close as I can make a comparison to relate to.  I like the flexibility of the rod with working 1/120th oz. jigs to 1/8 oz jigs.  If you just close your eyes and let your hand tell you how it like the feel of the rod, for me somehow the Thorne Bros Panfish Sweatheart rod just fit my style of fishing.  I use this rod for smelt fishing to light walleye biters.  I had to use the rod for the money spent on it.

The Perch Sweatheart is a more versatile rod.  I will use 1/32 oz. jigs to 1/4 oz jigs. on that rod.  A little stronger than the Panfish Sweatheart and does a little better at deeper water presentations.  I almost don't feel any difference until I catch fish on them and have the improved authority of rod power.

The Walleye Sweatheart is an excellent rod.  Used it for smelt fishing an few occassions just by chance as well.  Still sensitive enough to detect smelt bites, eventhough it was much too stiff for the job.  I like how these rods can tame catfish up to 20 inches without any doubt of loss of line control.  Walleyes, I could not ask for a more appropriate rod.

When I spend easily over $60 on a tank of gas, I feel that using a rod that makes your fishing trip more enjoyable isn't too much to ask.  That's like trading one fishing trip for a lifetime possiblility of a rod to make memories with.  Anyone can make their own decisions and their own justifications for those decisions.

In the end, they were worth it for me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline BloodGroove4570

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:55 AM »
I have used my 2 for the past 7 or 8 years and love them "power noodle & sweetheart". I just got another for xmas it is the sweetheart outside and cant wait to give it a try. So yes i believe they are worth every penny. Hope this helps and Tightlines...
There's never a dull moment

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2010, 12:30 PM »
i own 3 (quiverstick, walleye swthrt, and perch swthrt) and i love them all. 

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:30 AM »
I also have a quick question about a Thorne Bros. rod. I'm going to pick up a couple here real soon, I am definately getting a walleye sweetheart, but unsure about the other I think I want a perch sweetheart, but not real sure how sensitive it is ( sometimes perch just suck my jig in and I find it hard to see when they are hitting it at times) I don't really want to put a spring bobber on it. Is the perch sweetheart sensitive enough to see this or should I try one that is a little lighter? Thanks

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:34 AM »
If i was using it strictly for Perch i would prob get one a little lighter.  I have both and the Perch sweetheart is like a finesse version of the Walleye sweetheart. Both are wonderful rods, but for the "barely biting" times you might want one a little lighter. IMO.

Offline Todd_NE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Absolutley some of the best rods made.

I LOVE my sweet thing for everything from bluegill to medium walleyes. Also can get a panfish or perch strength spring bobber.

I've whipped 5 lb bass and 10# Cats on it too with no problem yet works great with Size 12-16 Diamond Jigs & 3/4/5 Woframs

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Got the Pro and love it! :tipup:

Offline IceDipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If the hat is missin'....I've gone fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I think instead of picking up 2 Thorne Bros. rods, I will be getting 3  ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.