Author Topic: portable shacks,6x10,or other sizes  (Read 10948 times)

bosco

portable shacks,6x10,or other sizes
« on: Jan 19, 2003, 12:30 PM »
am always looking for new plans to build a portable ice shack. something sturdy but light. I know lots of folks like 4x8, but I like at least 6 ft. wide,& at least 8 ft. long. Would like to look at any designs & ideas.. thanks...

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: portable shacks,6x10,or other sizes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2003, 10:30 PM »
Bosco,
A 6X8 Shanty is your idea of "portable"??  I believe that a 4X8 shanty has been developed to fit in the back of a pick-up truck.  A 6X8 shanty would be more of a perminant shanty and not really portable.  You could probably build a 6X8 shanty and call it portable, but you may need help loading it onto, into, or over your vehicle.  I have plans on how to build a 4X8, if interested just private email me, if not you may want to post in the shanty section.  Good luck! :) -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2003, 04:17 AM »
I have a 6x8 portable.  It folds up to into a 4x6 coffin.  I did not build it I bought it used.  It is made by Shoremaster Fabric in Fergus Falls.  It is light enough to get into any truck or trailer by yourself and there is a lot of room in it for 3 or 4 people.  It is 6'6" tall so you can actually stand up to stretch.  If you can stay away from a wood base you will be able to keep the weight down.  Mine has a plastic base.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2003, 10:17 AM »
MNFishman,
Do you have the maker of such a beast?  This sounds VERY interesting!  If possible, maybe you can post some pics of your shanty?  Thanks- Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2003, 09:07 AM »
Here is a link to their website.  http://www.boatcovers.com/  I have attached a brief description of the unit that I have along with a picture that I got off their website.

6x8 Sportsman Poly-Floor

Sets up to 6' wide by 8' long and 6' 3" high.
Folds to: 4' by 6' by 10". Weighs 96 lbs.
100% assembled,  Ready to Fish.
Heavy 11oz. poly/cotton shell allows breathability and reduces condensation. Shell is completely attached to poly base.  Makes set up on windy days no problem.
(4) windows each with velcro closures help block out light. (2) doors, each with bi-directional zippers.
Wire coil (YKK) zippers provide jam free, self maintaining performance. (no broken zipper teeth)
Storage pouch and license holder.
All-Aluminum telescoping frame is 100% attached to poly base.
Frame work and canvas shell collapse completely within the base protecting the canvas while in transit.
Rotationally molded base, features (6) molded in angling holes w/hinged hole covers.  Floor remains pliable in frigid temps, can be pulled over ice and snow.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2003, 09:10 AM »
Sorry I don't have a price but they do have an 800 number you can call them at.  Also this is exactly what mine looks like but the canvas is a little faded.  Don't have a digital camera to take a picture of my own setup on the lake but it is real easy to setup.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2003, 05:04 PM »
Thanks for the link!  That's a great looking shanty.  I'm really going to consider the 6X8' sportsmen model. 8)
TEAM ALASKA

jester

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2003, 08:38 AM »
I called on the price and they said it is on sale for $341. They told me that I should talk to a dealer and see if they have one in stock or else they would ship me one.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2003, 03:35 AM »
Kbunkpond do you have any pictures???  I would like to see what you built sounds interesting.

bosco

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2003, 10:46 AM »
To All who have responded to my request for 6x8 plans ,

Thanks , I now have a 78"x108" , but have developed a bad shoulder , from work & I can't get it in & out of the trk w/o
help.. That's why I was in search of new plans... life..... A friend has a home made 8 sided one that opens up almost like an acordian ( sp. )  .. It is VERY light & half easy to s/up.. SO I may go that way.. Always in search of the perfect one , just like trucks or boats , a guy should never hve just one , there's always a time or place to use one of a differ. style or size..  Once again , thanks to all who have sent a note..

yer friend ,
                                               Bosco................. ...

imtheflyer

« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2003, 11:54 AM »
I have the ultimate for a portable ice shack, if there is enough ice to drive an ATV or truck on that is.  It's a pop up camper that I bought from a friend.  The slideout beds and canvas sides were removed and replaced with plywood with insulation that fold into the interior when colapsing.  It has 3 holes cut out in the floor in which 5 holes can be drilled.  Plywood is slid into the holes in the floor down to the ice.  There are 2 benches and 2 boat seats for fishing and also a table that can be set up when playing cards/having a couple beers and watching tipups.  It has a furnace and stove which both work in it yet.  We also sleep in it overnight most weekends, can sleep 3 easily.  It's about 8x12 in size and sets up in 5 minutes or so.  I have pics if anyone would like me to email them.  Just an idea if you are handy and would like to have an awesome iceshack.

Offline dusty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • bite me !!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2003, 12:22 AM »
i too have a  6 x 10 ft shanty. it is lighter thaan my original 4 x 8 and much more comfortable. since i love to actually live  in it i have just about everything i need in it. two bunks, two storage beens for gear, gas heater, stove and lights. even a solor panel for lighs,  fish finder and this yr a under water cam. i used the fiber glass walls of an old above ground swimming pool for the walls and roof. great material, strong and light weight. i will admitt it takes two to get it sliding along but all in all it isn't too bad. i have a trailer and an old boat whench to load it . we do not have a 4 wheeler, yet but i always can find a few guys willing to tow my and the shanty out into position. trade bait or a beer for a tow...

bass110_1

« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2003, 05:27 PM »
i'm looking for a poly base. i got a shanty cover . I'm going to make the rest. any idea's or info would be appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.