New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1092536 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I have used JADA bait for several years now ..the shipping is included in the price...no meal worms though

https://www.ja-dabait.com/

Thanks HD, everything there is on back order also. It would probably pay for a number of us to pool together and buy in bulk but probably too late for this season. I have been involved in other Group Buys and it becomes a real PITA for the guy who does the order and then splits it up between the participants.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks HD, everything there is on back order also. It would probably pay for a number of us to pool together and buy in bulk but probably too late for this season. I have been involved in other Group Buys and it becomes a real PITA for the guy who does the order and then splits it up between the participants.

Gam

Yeah the group buy thing is can be tough ..don't like to chase my money..just order for me and my buddy . Just place my yearly order ..hoping they aren't to far behind in delivery.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Then they seem to go into a hibernation of sorts right around mid February and seem to wake up a bit just before ice out.

They don't go into "a hibernation of sorts" you can still get on big numbers of fish if you change your tactics

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Solid 3.5" at Chodikee, drilled at the end of the dock but did not venture out.

Offline moose66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kids who hunt and fish don't mug old ladies
Venturing out tomorrow wish me luck :tipup:
Lifes a garden...dig it

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Made a drive today searching for good ice. Swinging bridge and Toronto still have a lot of open water, more so on Toronto but bad shoreline on SB. White lake is locked up but I did not dare go out to drill any holes because the usual idiots are tossing stones onto the ice from the public launch that will freeze into the ice and destroy your auger blades. No ice fishing on the Rio but pretty much still wide open on the north end and past the public launch. Lots of eagles all over the place today. I don't think any place is there just yet except for some small ponds and possibly Superior could have a few inches by this weekend. Just be safe if you absolutely have to go.

Gam

Offline coorslightguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 3% patriot
Saw 2 guys ice fishing a local lake by me..hope this warmer weather and rain is short lived. cant wait to use my new fl-8

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
any reports on morningside or superior looking to head out tomorrow

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah the group buy thing is can be tough ..don't like to chase my money..just order for me and my buddy . Just place my yearly order ..hoping they aren't to far behind in delivery.

We just received our Jada waxies (ordered late last week, came in yesterday), lively fat little buggers they are...the friend that has been ordering them for us over the last few years did say there are restrictions due to supply...I've got 250 of 'em, maybe 500 if another of our 'group buy' guys doesn't want...for <$8 its a steal.  I had to try them, just came in from the lake, no luck but it was beautiful in the snow on top of five inches of ice.

Offline Andrushkin

• IceShanty Rookie
any reports on morningside or superior looking to head out tomorrow

Not sure about Morningside but Superior has ice as of last weekend and you are looking at 4.5 inches. Depending on how bad rain will get you should be all good for tomorrow but get there early it be packed.

Andre

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
I fished both morningside and superior yesterday.  each had 4" of ice.  I would bring spud bar with rain and warmer temps coming.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know how the ice held up to the rain in Sullivan?

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
What rain?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I thought it was supposed to rain today?

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody know how the ice held up to the rain in Sullivan?
Rainy Friday and foggy all day too (fog is tough on ice). 5 inches at my spot Thursday, five inches this morning when I checked. about an inch of water on top, warm out today, and not too cold tonight, I suspect some bad spots Sunday.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
superior had about 5" yesterday by time we left it had 4" or so with water on top and cracking a lot while walking between the layers didn't go out this morning raining at my house wasn't gunna chance it taking the hr plus ride flags produced 2 fish yesterday but jigging was the key in the afternoon iced little over 20 perch and 6 gills

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm gonna head up to Sullivan tomorrow morning and try to fish Superior

Offline Skylands27

• IceShanty Rookie
I was on superior saturday, about 4 inches most of the day but it was getting really sketchy as it warmed throughout the day with bad cracking and super soft ice as the water that was in top seeped into the ice. I hope we don't lose it all. Did you go out today?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
No something came up last minute so I didn’t end up going. I’m looking to maybe give it a shot thursday before the warm spell hits.

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
No something came up last minute so I didn’t end up going. I’m looking to maybe give it a shot thursday before the warm spell hits.

it already hit

Offline PLGoose88

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi. Thinking of heading towards Sullivan on Thursday. Anyone know if Superior has hardened back up? I know the rain and warm temps probably did a good amount of damage.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Hi. Thinking of heading towards Sullivan on Thursday. Anyone know if Superior has hardened back up? I know the rain and warm temps probably did a good amount of damage.

Rain and warm temps are gonna be Thursday and Friday

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Today is the day! Going for a tan.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like Morningside Park in Fallsburg will be offering ice skating on the pond next to the lake ..not exactly where that is ..but it may cause for some parking issues on the weekends .

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2234150360161768&set=a.1742539475989528&type=3&theater
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for the report on Morningside lake. If you are standing in parking lot by outdoor covered pavilion  looking out over lake the skating pond/rink is to your right by building on shore and Summer boat dock.
Steve

Offline Axel2610

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello did you tink morningside like should have good ice for fishing? Thanks

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
3" from the dock on Chodikee. Weather not looking good for weekend. Going to hit North South Lake day after Christmas.

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yo Gino ! It’s DaveW , don’t think you know my name on this site. I’m good on the weekend after Xmas to go somewhere. Hit me up.

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey y'all from the area, new on this forum. Was so excited with these cold temps and the lakes starting to freeze over, but this weekend is gunna destroy our ice unfortunately. 55 degrees and 2 to 4 inches of rain is gunna blow. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey y'all from the area, new on this forum. Was so excited with these cold temps and the lakes starting to freeze over, but this weekend is gunna destroy our ice unfortunately. 55 degrees and 2 to 4 inches of rain is gunna blow.

Welcome TLF, Actually it is pretty rare to be out on safe ice much before the new year around here. It certainly can and does happen but I have been fishing the hard water here in Sullivan county since the early 1960s  and there have been very few years when good ice got here before Santa. YMMV and we all have our own definition of safe ice but if I had kept records I would bet there were more years that we never did get good safe ice all winter long than years we had it before the new year.

Gam

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.