The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trout night bite  (Read 834 times)

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
Trout night bite
« on: Jan 10, 2024, 09:45 PM »
Anyone have any tips for fishing trout at night? I darn sure don’t have em figured out in the day light. But with enough ice I’d like to think about grabbing my daughter after work and trying to fish? Tried it tonight, dropped a couple glow jigs, not what I’d typically fish in the day. Didn’t mark much. Any tips?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trout night bite
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2024, 09:40 AM »
Usually do not catch trout at night since most the time they are sight feeders.  But saying that I have caught some trout when there was snow on the ice except one spot that let the moon light in and we caught trout all night long, not very fast action but one here and there.  The other times I have caught some at night has been the same as let the light in so they can see and have caught a few here and there but not all the time.  I have been adding some scent and see if that helps but have not found that it works as much as one would think, but I am always up to try different things and see what works and what does not.  Trying to catch more of the fish that I can only seem to catch during the day, perch and trout, and being able to catch some at night would be great.  Also trying shallow at night might be the ticket but I have not had my shallow tip ups go off that often, usually the mid depth one are the ones I catch the fish on at night.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2024, 10:09 AM »
It's more difficult but possible. Ill setup jawjackers in shallow shallow... in as shallow as 2ft of water...then move away from them so youre not making noise.

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2024, 08:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Tried for a little bit last night, saw one on the camera, a little on my hummingbird and a ways off on the live scope could see them. But they weren’t aggressive, after researching and y’all’s input it’s making sense ya gotta get them into you more. I’d like to try it more just after work take the kiddo out, although at 3 if fish aren’t coming thru the ice she isn’t interested it’s making it tough!!!!!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2024, 09:51 AM »
I ice fished for trout for many many years till I got more into Perch and Eyes.  Every time we tried night fishing for trout it was less than spectacular. :P

I'd say if you're fishing from 3pm on, that's when you should target walleyes. The magic hour when the sun goes behind the horizon!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2024, 08:30 PM »
If I could target anything besides trout, I would indeed! Lake holds only trout. More so lookin for catchin an evening bite after work with my daughter, or sittin in the house havin a beer with buddies. Trout only lake, nothin special is all

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:49 AM »
Always nice getting out with the kids no matter what is going on, but keeping them interesting keeps them wanting to go. I always try and let them play and have movies on the phone for them to watch or toys to play with while the fishing is slow. Always just wanting my kids to enjoy the outdoors with me, let's me get out more often.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:36 PM »
I will say I have had some spectacular dusk periods for trout SHALLOW.  Like 3-6 ft.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.