The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Let’s get some chatter going! New gear?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Let’s get some chatter going! New gear?
« on: Nov 30, 2023, 12:37 PM »
Howdy fellers!

A slow start to the ice year and a slow start to much chatter here on ice shanty. Don’t tell anybody, but I don’t mind the slow ice part. I may take my boat out next week 😂😂😂.

I do miss the camaraderie of you folks here on the shanty, however!

I’m curious if you guys have found any “must haves” for the year. I really have not. I bought a new pop up last year (otter lodge) and am in love with the thing. I didn’t think I’d care about the full door, but not tripping over the door is more than “nice” and also being able to drag everything into the hut with me without lifting it up and wrestling with it is life changing as well. To my knowledge that was my only big purchase.

This year I’m boring again but did just take advantage of some Black Friday deals for some smaller items. I ordered a “heat Hogg” brand propane heater as I absolutely despise the heater buddy brand and their lack of customer service. I just won’t support them any longer! I also bought some kuiu “glomits” for all things outsides hopefully they’re as good of a mix between “gloves” and “mittens” as their name suggests…
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Let’s get some chatter going! New gear?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2023, 02:02 PM »
What's up Trent, long time no talk. Hoping the heat hog treats you better than your buddy's did. Seems like you had more than a few video moments over the years. I've been tinkering with the camp tent and a few other things to make life easier ice fishing. Instead of putting it all here you can see it on my post in the ice shack section here

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=359640.msg4319254#msg4319254

Really excited to give this upgrade camper with side room when needed a try. Hopefully we'll hook some up with you this season  :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2023, 03:03 PM »
Hey buddy. I’m sure that group text will spring up soon! “That time of year” is pretty much here! I see you guys are planning on a couple weeks. I don’t know if you’ll be greeted with any ice or not. Looks like there’s some further east if you’re looking to travel. Hopefully you’ll be able to see on the satellite imagery before making the trip.

Went through your whole build. Love what you did with the shack! Just when I think you guys can’t go anymore anymore luxurious in your ice camping, you guys surprise the hell out of me. Awesome stuff!

And yes! Let’s make a point to fish together!
Trent Williams

Offline WYpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2023, 05:11 PM »
Just moved back to WYO after an all-to-long hiatus in Florida. Haven’t been ice fishing in years but excited to get back into it (not much ice in FL).

Just got a brushless drill and am now looking for the right Auger bit to use with it. Have heard some good things about the strikemaster lite flite, k drill, and the Eskimo pistol bit , but curious if any of you have experience with either of these, or if there’s a better option.

I know these aren’t new products, but they’re new to me- When I was a kid we used a Jiffy gas powered auger. Worked just fine, but weighed a ton. Would be nice to have something a little more portable.

Thanks for the help!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2023, 05:25 PM »
Just moved back to WYO after an all-to-long hiatus in Florida. Haven’t been ice fishing in years but excited to get back into it (not much ice in FL).

Just got a brushless drill and am now looking for the right Auger bit to use with it. Have heard some good things about the strikemaster lite flite, k drill, and the Eskimo pistol bit , but curious if any of you have experience with either of these, or if there’s a better option.

I know these aren’t new products, but they’re new to me- When I was a kid we used a Jiffy gas powered auger. Worked just fine, but weighed a ton. Would be nice to have something a little more portable.

Thanks for the help!

I have all 3 ...they all work fine as long as you have the right Milwaukee drill (2703/2704 ..2803/2804 ..2903/2904 ) and a 4ah or better battery any of those auger drill unit will work ...the SM is faster then the Eskimo ...and the K drill is the slowest ..my preference would be the Eskimo as it has shaver blades ..and having an extra set is cheap and easy to find.

As far as new gear ..an Eskimo 650XD ...then mostly odds an ends to be effective/efficient ...Eskimo seat organizer and an Otter mini side kick ..a swivel hunting chair ..dual season purpose and  last some directors chairs fill out the list
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WYpescado

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2023, 05:28 PM »
Yeah I got a Milwaukee 2904 that came with a couple 5ah batteries. Thanks for the advice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2023, 05:30 PM »
Yeah I got a Milwaukee 2904 that came with a couple 5ah batteries. Thanks for the advice

Keep an eye on this thread ...not really any super deals on augers ...but things may shake up

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331034.10860
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2023, 09:25 PM »
Got a Pistol Bit a couple years ago and will never go back. Light weight, no mess, takes up minimal room, starts when you pull the trigger, and you can use the drill all year round
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2023, 12:20 AM »

I have the Eskimo Pistol and the Strikemaster Lite-Flite augers. Both work very good but I can feel a lot more resistance when using the Pistol compared to the Lite-Flite. I drill a lot of holes so I normally use the Lite-Flite as my Milwaukee battery will last longer. If you don't do a lot of hole hopping and drill many holes, both would work well for you. Both style of blades (flat shaver blades and curved, serrated blades) will dull quickly if you drill into ice that has sand or dirt embedded in it as is common in some of Wyoming's reservoirs. Some people say the curved, serrated blades on the Lite-Flite duller easier but, in my experience, when I have hit sand in ice, neither style of blades cut anymore or will barely drill another hole. Flat, shaver blades, though, are cheaper than the curved, serrated blades.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2023, 01:03 AM »
Good to hear from you Trent and Matt as the ice fishing season is upon us! I hope to make one trip down to Flaming Gorge this year as I haven't fished there in 5½ years. Since I started using a drill and auger bit a few years ago, I sold my gas auger this spring (with 10 and 8 inch auger bits) as I hadn't used it in probably 6 years (and while I could still get any money for it!). However, as I still fish for lakers occassionally and landed some 8-10 lb catfish last year that I could barely fit their heads through an 8 inch whole, I thought about getting an electric auger with a 10 inch bit. I think a 10 inch auger bit is too much strain over time on a drill. I was interested in the new Eskimo E40 composite electric auger with a 10 inch bit after hearing how light the whole setup is (14 lbs and that is with the battery). The motor also has a 5 year warranty, which a very good. The auger blades are designed a little bit different from the standard flat, shaver style blades. Eskimo calls them "multi-edge blades" that are supposed to cut more efficiently and open old holes easier. I ended up buying the 10 inch E40 as I got a great deal on it and it came with an extra 40v, 4ah battery.

I have a friend near me who started building ice fishing rods a couple of years ago. He has gotten pretty good at it so he is making me a crappie/panfish rod and a perch rod (which will be stiffer for jigging). I bought a couple of 40 inch lake trout blanks and I will see if he can make me two laker rods. Hopefully, I'll be able to try the E40 on Bighorn Reservoir in a couple of weeks and give a report on it. Have a good and safe season!

Offline jakediesel1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2023, 09:07 AM »
good morning to all, I havent really bought anything new and exciting. Just a few new rods. Ive been really liking the berkeley cherrywoods. for 10$ you cant beat the price. bought a new clutch kit and blade for my old strikemaster 1000. want to get a new auger but this thing just keeps on ticking!. I was fortunate this year to inherit about 42 tackle boxes of fishing equipment from a 87 year old gentlemen that is getting out of fishing due to age. its literally about 3 lifetimes worth of fishing gear and everything you could imagine. have a good season.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2023, 09:15 AM »
Pescado,

Googling, YouTubing comparison videos, and doing searches on the topic of auger bits and what’s right for you will be your best. It’s an “ask 10 people get 10 different answers” kind of question. But I’ll walk you through my thought process. I either fish 1 hole all day (a Mickey Mouse hole for lakers) or drill a stupid amount searching for perch/walleye/crappie. The pistol bit and strikemaster are very similar in how they cut but the SM cut quicker and more efficiently in basically all the tests I watched, so I went with it.

Wyoming is notorious for wind blown dirty ice where the shaver style blades will dull. The chipper style of the k drill will drill the slowest but will be able to cut better even when dull. So you kind of have to decipher which one fits your style best.

Glen, have you tried a double hole or triple hole for those big cats? Definitely the cheapest option. I do it regularly for lake trout.
Trent Williams

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2023, 10:01 AM »
NOT A BAD DEAL . my first auger was an HT E-Drill ..worked well and has since been passed on and still running strong

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082HPPQPS?tag=cameldrops-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&language=en_US

POk3s

Wyoming is notorious for wind blown dirty ice where the shaver style blades will dull. The chipper style of the k drill will drill the slowest but will be able to cut better even when dull. So you kind of have to decipher which one fits your style best.

I agree wind blown sand/debris/dirt a chipper style blade would be the best choice

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2023, 10:03 AM »
No new gear. Kind of ready to fish  :-\. Finished elk hunting last week with grand daughter harvesting the last one we had a tag for. I have a Dr.'s order to stay off the ATV till January  ::). I'm sure I will comply! LOL. Small pounds are locked up around our area. KH is still open and fishing well. Life seem to keep getting in the way right now.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2023, 10:38 AM »
One other thing is I got an Eskimo rod locker last year with a little hesitation because of the price but it actually works well for me. I don’t carry much in the way of tackle and I can put 4 rods and all accessories in it and not worry about damaging anything.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Smoke10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2023, 02:40 PM »
I also bought some kuiu “glomits” for all things outsides hopefully they’re as good of a mix between “gloves” and “mittens” as their name suggests…

I bought the kuiu northstar glommits summer of 2022. They are the only gloves I've found so far that keep my hands warm and dry.  I would definitely buy them again.
I mainly use the glommits hunting but I did use them ice fishing last winter and they were alright. Only issue Ive had is I had to pay attention with my reel so the bail didn't catch on the glommit - I'd say it was more of operator error & me getting used the glommits.

I've been looking at getting the Otter Vortex Pro Lodge. I want a hub I could fit 2 regular sized cots in for ice camping and possibly truck camping when hunting. Do you have room to fit 2 cots in your Otter Lodge?

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2023, 03:12 PM »
No new gear. Kind of ready to fish  :-\. Finished elk hunting last week with grand daughter harvesting the last one we had a tag for. I have a Dr.'s order to stay off the ATV till January  ::). I'm sure I will comply! LOL. Small pounds are locked up around our area. KH is still open and fishing well. Life seem to keep getting in the way right now.

Scott….what did you do!? Do you need me to go down and babysit you? Like maybe new years weekend on keyhole? 😃 Plans are in the world. See if the conditions participate.
Trent Williams

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2023, 03:18 PM »
I bought the kuiu northstar glommits summer of 2022. They are the only gloves I've found so far that keep my hands warm and dry.  I would definitely buy them again.
I mainly use the glommits hunting but I did use them ice fishing last winter and they were alright. Only issue Ive had is I had to pay attention with my reel so the bail didn't catch on the glommit - I'd say it was more of operator error & me getting used the glommits.

I've been looking at getting the Otter Vortex Pro Lodge. I want a hub I could fit 2 regular sized cots in for ice camping and possibly truck camping when hunting. Do you have room to fit 2 cots in your Otter Lodge?

Great to hear! I usually don’t reel with gloves on but I did think that maybe I could with the glommits. Another little thought in my mind and reason I went with them. So we’ll see!

I have a good picture here to illustrate camping in the lodge. You can definitely fit two cots in there. But you couldn’t fit two AND fish…unless you out tipups under your cots or something 😂.

Both these cots are the XXL variety. No reason to skimp on comfort when on a cot if you ask me. 😃 so if your cots are the “normal size” you’d definitely be able to walk between them. It was barely enough room with these cots to shimmy in between them.

Trent Williams

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2023, 10:48 PM »
I’m having surgery the 20th. Out patient.Doc  said stay off the atv. New years could definitely be a weekend . We could make it happen!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2023, 10:16 AM »
Glad to see all ready to fish this year, we have enough ice to be out, just life being in the way keeps me off it right now. Bought a new eskimo auger at the end of the season last year. O ly had the 10 inch model as I busted my other plastic z71 one up bouncing through all the snow and obstacles last winter. But I popped my 8 inch auger off and will use it most but the bigger holes when fishing overnight or tourneys will he nice to have the 10 inch. A buddy just got the electric eskimo auger and said he went with it since it is buod the same place as the ion.  Hopefully see some out on the ice here soon.

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2023, 05:44 PM »

Thanks for the help!

As usual, I concur with hardwater diehard's experience.  I own a 2019? Model IDRL08 8" K-Drill (which were less than 8" diameter) and a 2019 Model 35600 8" Pistol Bit (their first offering with the center point).  I have also logged significant time on my buddy's 2022 Model LFLD-8 Lite-Flite.  I run all three of these with my Milwaukee 2804 w/ a 5 Ah battery. They all work great.  I expect my new 2904 to kick even more butt this season.

The K-Drill is the slowest of these three.  Its chipper blades are durable (dirty ice and drilling thru into weeds is not a concern), will cut thru just about anything in the ice, and it excels at re-opening holes.  It also seems to consume more battery charge per hole than the other two.

The Lite-Flite is the fastest.  This thing absolutely rips thru ice.  As with the hand Lazers (which were all we used to run), one needs to be especially careful with these curved blades - once they go, they go.  Very subjective here and not a deal-breaker, but its overall quality and workmanship seems the least of these three.

The Pistol Pit is my go-to.  It cuts plenty fast and IMO is the smoothest cutting of these three.  It seems the lightest of these three, but I have not weighed them.  Its shaver blades are less durable than chippers, but not as fragile as Lazers.  As hardwater pointed out, you can pick up a replacement set of 8" shavers just about anywhere.

You will be happy with any of these units, providing you run an adequate drill.  Several times I have heard/seen people complaining about these augers - each time they were running an improper drill and/or using the drill incorrectly.  Keep the drill in forward, drill mode (NOT hammer and NOT driver clutch setting), and low speed (to maximize the torque).  I also recommend the Deep Freeze EZ Auger Connection System.  Best of luck!

Offline Smoke10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2023, 08:22 PM »
Great to hear! I usually don’t reel with gloves on but I did think that maybe I could with the glommits. Another little thought in my mind and reason I went with them. So we’ll see!

I have a good picture here to illustrate camping in the lodge. You can definitely fit two cots in there. But you couldn’t fit two AND fish…unless you out tipups under your cots or something 😂.

Both these cots are the XXL variety. No reason to skimp on comfort when on a cot if you ask me. 😃 so if your cots are the “normal size” you’d definitely be able to walk between them. It was barely enough room with these cots to shimmy in between them.

I was also using the small ice fishing reels. If you used a normal sized/open water reel on your jigging rod, it would probably help too. 

Thanks for the picture with the cots! That's good to know and visualize the space.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2023, 10:52 AM »
Just saw this thread!  I  broke down and bought a Livescope in a moment of weakness 😩

Should be fun, my buddy has one and it is pretty cool.  More screens to stare at all day🤣🤣🤣🤣

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2023, 11:45 AM »
Live scope will change things a lot! I got over a year ago and fish with last winter. I don't know how may times I would see a fish under someone else hole and talk them into a bite. We are way more efficient searching for schools, walleye, crappie and then looking for kokanee. I almost don't use a graph much. It is a pain to haul though. I bought a small kids sled just to drag around on the ice. Most of the time it stays on a small trailer behind the ATV.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2023, 12:07 PM »
Live scope will change things a lot! I got over a year ago and fish with last winter. I don't know how may times I would see a fish under someone else hole and talk them into a bite. We are way more efficient searching for schools, walleye, crappie and then looking for kokanee. I almost don't use a graph much. It is a pain to haul though. I bought a small kids sled just to drag around on the ice. Most of the time it stays on a small trailer behind the ATV.

The size of the thing, and the complexity of the settings is what has kept me from pulling the trigger up to now.  Hopefully can get it dialed in and not have to mess with it much once I get the basics figured out! 

I barely use any of the settings on my basic fish finder as it is!!!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2023, 02:34 PM »
The size of the thing, and the complexity of the settings is what has kept me from pulling the trigger up to now.  Hopefully can get it dialed in and not have to mess with it much once I get the basics figured out! 

I barely use any of the settings on my basic fish finder as it is!!!

I watched a ton of video, mostly BASS guys. Jason Christie comes to mind on settings then a guide in Kansas (Kansas Angling Experience)
that video's a lot ( I'll try and find his page after work). Then I stared pushing buttons. LOL To start out stay close to you before you "reach out looking for stuff. get some confidence on seeing a fish. Once you get use to seeing fish when you look further out your eyes will figure it out. Find a color pallet that works for you. Everyone's sees thing different.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2023, 02:53 PM »
The scope is amazing for seeing things that your standard flasher will never see. Been able to see IN the weeds and from the top of a drop of as far down as you want has been mind blowing...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Dec 08, 2023, 04:29 AM »

Picked up a few more.  iron decoy spoons , tried them on perch and walleyes last season worked very well

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2023, 11:45 PM »
Figured this would be an alright thread to ask a question about gear. Needing to get a heater for the house, have always ran a sunflower on a propane tank. But now having 2 girls under 3, thinking my ice hut may be more a warming house and play for them, so not sure a sunflower is the safest. Any tips from yall?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.