The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: marmish  (Read 2615 times)

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
marmish
« on: Jan 10, 2007, 04:26 AM »
Do any of you guys here in Wyoming use a marmish??
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: marmish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Alright big guy...what the heck's a "marmish"?   And if you had a "yo-yo", would you be inclined to fish with one?    :whistle: (It's a sorta southern thang.)
                                        el-Teeeeeeee    ;D :tipup: :tipup:

Offline 4x4elk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:37 PM »
It was cheap on ebay and I thought what the helk I'll try it at the worst it becomes something new for the 5 yr old to drop down the hole!!!!!!!!
FIND'EM, CATCH'EM, FILLET'EM, GRILL'EM & EAT'EM

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:09 AM »
The marmish is illegal in Wyoming. Real men don't get caught with a marmish. They are for back east where you can catch those sissy 4" bluegills and other things that here, we call "bait". To get caught using one here is a major party foul and you "MUST" buy all the beer for the fishing party for the rest of the ice fishing season.  ( Man Law ).  I think you better get the regulations out and read up on some things.

:-*     '
  Whatever you do, don't get caught using a marmish!!!
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:28 AM »
but what is it?  ???
                                 Lt  ;D

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Marmish, after MR.4x4Elk eats his 5th bag of marshmellow's he gets a bad stomach ache.  He then upchucks the mixture (marmish) and uses it to bait his hook.  This is why nobody fishes with him or why he has trouble catching fish.  After the mixture is frozen he snacks lightly on it for the rest of the day. Later KR

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:30 AM »
Naaaaah...really...tel l me what it is and I'll tell you what a "yo-yo" is and that if G&F caught somebody with one,    >:D  even though there is no reg against it, count on this, there would certainly be one next year!
                                       el-Teeeeeeee  :roflmao:

Offline Ocean Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2007, 10:47 AM »
Looks like something 4x4Elk would buy!!  Like I said "he doesn't catch much and now we know why"!

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Yo-yo:  a round, spring-loaded metal (originally) or plastic device approximately three inches in diameter that holds fishing line.  When a fish grabs the attached baited hook, the spring causes the line to recoil, and the fish is hooked (hopefully).  The device is usually fished as a set-line, often hanging from a tree's branch just above the water.

Another definition of yo-yo would be the guy using said device on any lake or stream in Wyoming.   ;)

(A bunch of years ago I traveled to Oklahoma's Lake Eufaula with a fellow that I worked with.  While he did show me how to catch catfish using the yo-yo, it was even more effective on slab crappie -- in the trees, using big live minnows, of course.)
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2007, 11:20 AM »
I'll bet that sucker is spring-loaded  :woot:  Well, now on to the (southern waters) "yo-yo". It is essentially a spring-loaded metal yo-yo in principal. In practice, it is widely used for nighttime catfishing. It is tied on a tree overhanging the water, the hook/line/bait is pulled out enough to submerge them and the spring is set. When a fish hits the bait, the spring engages, setting the hook. The selling point is that it literally plays the fish while you sit on the bank watching it wear the critter out, cause no matter how much line he takes, it always reels him back in.  ???
                                                           LT  ;D
     ps I like these  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: better! Pss, thanks Eyewinder  ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:02 PM »
     So how does the marmish work? ...or does it?  ;D

Offline holmes76

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • from P.G. in B.C.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2007, 12:06 PM »
they do sponsor the website. So if you go to the homepage and click on the link it will take you to their site with instructions for use and pics of fish people have caught with them.I have seen both TGF and Fish-slayer use them around here and they look interesting.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:14 PM »
Just checked out their website -hilarious- thats about the GAYEST fishing rod I ever seen.  I'd like to see someone land a 20" bobo through the ice @ Boysen on that thing! HILARIOUS!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2007, 01:33 PM »
I can see where a child would enjoy it...as 4X4elk says, it would go down the icehole so easily too!  Soooo... Why they on your case so bad buddy?   LT  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.