Author Topic: PK Flutterfish  (Read 8346 times)

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
PK Flutterfish
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:51 PM »

Just received my first order of PK Flutterfish -- great website, and very fast delivery.  Now, just need to start playing with them.  Got a nice heavy 38" jigging rod, and I'm looking to target lakers this season in Granby, CO.  For those of you who have experience, what's your favorite way to fish em?  Feel free to share best PK fish stories, etc. 

So ready for the ice!  Happy Thanksgiving!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: PK Flutterfish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:57 AM »
Got some great advice from PK Lures directly.  Figured it's great info to share with those looking to get into using those lures.  It's no big secret, but great advice from a great company.  Now that's customer service!  From PK Lures:

"The big 1.0 oz Flutterfish is the "go to" spoon for big lake trout.  We also have a 1.5 oz to 2.5 oz size available for sale on our website (rare at retail), but the 1.0 oz does a great job.  If lakers are aggressively feeding, use the big 1.0 oz and jig it hard.  Watch your sonar -- if you see them coming in a couple feet above bottom, you know they're aggressive and keep the jigging aggressive to match.  If they come in low, quiet down a bit or even the spoon rest, twitching, on bottom.  Our "best" laker patterns are Red Dot Glow, Firetiger Glow, and Nickel.  If you've got cannibal lakers eating other trout, the rainbow pattern can perform well.  And if you care to try something new, give our new Pink Pearl Glow pattern a shot -- but it's only available in sizes up to 3/8th this year, as it's a test pattern (although based on sales, we're going to sell out fast and we'll bring it in through all sizes next year).

If the fish aren't aggressive, they're still eating, but they sometimes (IMO) revert to their "comfort food" and sip away at bugs, scuds, worms, and whatever "nibble" might come their way.  When that happens, the 1/4 (and even 1/8th) PK Spoons and Flutterfish can do an incredible job of mimicking small crayfish, active scuds, and other "twitchy critters".  If you downsize to our smaller spoons, you'll probably want to replace the stock treble with a 1X octopus hook (ProStaff will have a better reco).  And it doesn't hurt to use a little 1/8th oz glow spoon with a strong hook to use as an anchor for a good size tailhooked minnow either -- enough weight to take the minnow down, but light enough that it can twitch the hook off bottom when a good size fish approaches.  Just don't jig that minnow very hard -- you can rip the hook right out and never know it.  Lift it up slowly and drop it on slack line, let the minnow struggle hard against the hook on the drop -- for any good size predator like a walleye or laker, that's just candy.  Glow patterns are my preference when I'm using that strategy."
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2012, 02:16 AM »
Good info, thanks!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2012, 06:37 AM »
I would add that when fishing have a swivel up the line a ways to keep the line twist down in deep water. Also don't be afraid to tip with a piece of something to give it a little sent. I use smelly jelly and it works well. Size is day to day and hour to hour. Some days they want it dead stick others alive.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2012, 05:48 PM »
I would add that when fishing have a swivel up the line a ways to keep the line twist down in deep water. Also don't be afraid to tip with a piece of something to give it a little sent. I use smelly jelly and it works well. Size is day to day and hour to hour. Some days they want it dead stick others alive.
i got an order of flutters and panics in 2 sizes for eyes and lakers if i get a chance for them and i have a jig already for eyes that it has to compete against , i will give it a good shot we shall see

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2012, 10:43 PM »
I just bought 2 of the Panics at the St. Paul Ice fishing show.

I asked the gentleman in their booth about smaller sizes in the panic. He said that next year they might have a 3/8 oz.

I asked about a 1/4 oz but he didn't seem to think so.

Offline Hunt_N_Pike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2012, 05:50 PM »
I ordered a few 1 oz'ers andif the test out well I'll order a handful of the bigger ones.

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2012, 06:16 PM »
i love mine they work great

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2012, 07:35 PM »
I ordered a good number of 1oz'ers for lakers this year.  :tipup:

In addition to these, I've picked up a few more locally since a local retailer has begun putting out a nice little selection. Some have a difficult time using them, while others have good success.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2012, 02:53 PM »
2nd row the second blue from left and the last blue from left     # and sizes if you could
3/8 oz  Red Dot Glow Flutterfish and 1/4 oz Gold Plated Flutterfish

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2012, 03:08 PM »
2nd row the second blue from left and the last blue from left     # and sizes if you could
http://www.pklures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=49
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2013, 03:58 PM »
my order should be here today~!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:18 PM »
I took the Panic out for a test run. I was in about 45 FOW.

I was also using a Lindy Frostee spoon.

Even though the Panic was bigger than the size of Frostee I was using, the Frostee showed up much better on the Vexilar.

I caught walleye on both but the Frostee was more effective due to the fact that I could see it on the vex and judge the bite better.

I didn't do very well with the Flutterfish either.

I think they have too slim of a vertical profile. A guy with an FL20 next to me in the fish house could see the Panic and the Flutterfish better than I could.

It seemed like they were reflecting more of the signal out instead of up.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Had the same problem, adjusted the sensitivity. Worked through the different techniques of the PK Panic, found the best and put the sonar away. Total focus, and the results were positive.   ;)2

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Had the same problem, adjusted the sensitivity. Worked through the different techniques of the PK Panic, found the best and put the sonar away. Total focus, and the results were positive.   ;)2

One problem was working two Vexs side by side I couldn't adjust up to high or I got a lot of clutter on the display.

With the better reflecting lure I could keep the gain down, see the lure, and keep the false readings to a minimum.

If I was fishing a bit farther away I probably could have adjusted so I could read it better.

My unit is an older FL8 SLT.

It was just interesting that the bigger lure, PK Panic, would not read as well as the smaller Lindy Frostee.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2013, 12:32 PM »
I love me some PK Flutterfish.  First time trying one on Saturday and caught 2 really nice walleye on the 1/4oz red eye.  The first fish really had the hooks in his lower lip and they actually broke when I was trying to get them out with a pliers.  I quickly put on a red, slightly larger treble that i usually use on my tip ups.  No fuss no muss, but it got me thinking about replacing the hooks on my new order of PK's that I should be getting any day now.  Not going to huge hooks, just a little bit larger.....thoughts?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Those hooks have always proven to be superior and deadly sharp, for me. I'm thinkin' you should lose the pliers and get a good chrome hemostats, pharmacy at Wally World or medical supply.    ;)2

Offline piketrout85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:13 AM »
I have never been skunked using PK Spoons! My new favorite lure to use!

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:02 PM »
worth there weight in gold @)
Henry

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:01 PM »
you guys tipping the hooks with cut baitfish, sucker meat??

Online brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:36 PM »
Haven't tried em for lakers yet but they rock for perch n brown trout. I replaced my trusty Kasty with the red dot n FT quarter ounce flutter for the attractor. Mealie or waxie meat.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Some very good information everyone. :clap:

WS

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:25 AM »
Finally tryed pk spoons and I love them great fore everthing that swims keeping one tiyed on all the time now

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 18, 2013, 09:32 AM »
All great lures!!! They are catching on in New England and can be fished many different ways :)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:32 PM »
Time to make an order.

WS

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2013, 03:24 PM »
worth there weight in gold @)

Wow that's $500-$1000 per lure!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Going to get every color now that I tryed them out really are good spoons fore crappie perch and my son and I even got some big pumkinseeds

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2013, 05:49 PM »
one thing i like doing with new tackle is set up shallow clear water and jig a bit to watch what they actually are doing down there ive recived 2 diffrent orders of PK`s so far theyre working for me

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2013, 07:56 PM »
New Glow colors:

And the newest PK Predators available in 1/16 ounce:
 New Glow colora are available for the PK Spoons 1/8-1/4 oz.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2013, 09:22 PM »
You beat me to it Dipsy! The Predators are a panfish's nightmare....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.