Author Topic: Good rods for light spoons  (Read 793 times)

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
Good rods for light spoons
« on: Aug 26, 2019, 05:48 PM »
What are the best type of rods for fishing light flutter spoons (eg. Lil' Cecil's, 1/32 oz)? I know guys that do really well fishing them with a UL spring rod or long rod; however, I get more action out of the side blade when I go with a springless fast action rod. Your thoughts?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Good rods for light spoons
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2019, 06:47 AM »
That's tough to say to just point to one type of rod and say it's best for this method.  Since it's a personal technique more than anything else.  Often people are too quick on the jigging and often rely on the free fall flutter.  There are times when one needs to slow down on the lift and needs to ride the fall.  There are times where one needs to impart action on the lift as well as action on the fall.  Flutter type spoons do require some finesse controlled techniques, more so than straight up jig heads.

Hence I prefer more stiff rods.  I've always done very well with St. Croix rods...even their cheapest line up the Premiere from back in the days.  They've gone to the Mojo Ice now, which are an improvement but with a heavy price tag.

I still prefer my over priced Thorne Bros. rods  the sweatheart panfish for most of my application.  Still find it suits me best with balance from imparting lure action to controlling a hooked up fish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2019, 07:06 AM »
I would agree that you want a little bit "stiffer" rod.  I typically use light action for the lighter spoons, jigging raps, and hali type baits.  My old st. Croix premium and frabill 3:6:1 combo come to mind as they are light enough to detect bits but have enough backbone that you are not loading up the rod.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2019, 01:37 PM »
it depends on the bite....when the fish are crushing it you can use any rod you want. When they're lite biting and drop the bait once they feel the stiff rod - use a spring or very light powered noodle

Catchin' Fish

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2019, 07:56 PM »
My go to rod
Fenwick elite tech med
All around great rod

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2019, 02:05 PM »
for 1/32oz, I generally prefer my TUCR Precision Noodle. If Im going to 1/16oz I will go with a slightly heavier rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.