Author Topic: What are the best baits for perch?  (Read 16701 times)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: What are the best baits for perch?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2004, 06:27 PM »
There is a FAQ thread in here that gives a accurate description on how to post pictures thru sharemation i thinik its called after that its quite easy step by step Posting for dummies type description...LOl luckily for me or else i wouldnt have been able to lol. Ya sweet they have teeth but not like Pike teeth or anything more like Speed bumps...Or sand paper teeth..Well for us anyhow i bet if i was a soft shelled bug i woudlnt think they were small.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

sweet446

« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2004, 06:30 PM »
so do i need a leader for them? :'(

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2004, 06:41 AM »
No sweet you don't need any leaders for perch...Their teeth would have a hard pressed time to cut anything. You can pick them up by their lips no problem run your hand along them..WOuld feel like runnigg your hand along the paved road. SO to us they have no teeth but under a microscope they would appear to have them. Anyhow tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

sweet446

« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2004, 11:57 AM »
thanks germ. :'(

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 25, 2004, 01:43 PM »
No problems sweets...PErch teeth are just like sunfish teeth. Like iv'e said i can't feel them but to a ANT they would be big arse teeth...LOL tight lines!

sweet446

« Reply #35 on: Mar 18, 2004, 11:02 AM »
oh lucy im home! i got banned no biggy caught some very beautiful perch the other the bad thing was the alberta record is 2.15.5 i had 2.12 dam oh well no pic my scanner is busted.

sweet446

« Reply #36 on: Mar 19, 2004, 12:59 PM »
hey guys what is the best line for perch?

sweet446

« Reply #37 on: Mar 19, 2004, 06:28 PM »
some one anwser me please :'(

sweet446

« Reply #38 on: Mar 21, 2004, 12:50 PM »
hey guys i kinda need an anwser soon please. :'(

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 21, 2004, 10:08 PM »
I have heard that Trilene XT 4# test is the best. I like Trilene, but have no proof that it is the best!!  take it or leave it!!!  :):)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 22, 2004, 06:35 AM »
Well I prefer Fireline Iceline It super sensitive with a Hard Action Rod one you would use for Pike Nice and stiff...Plus i Like the fact there is no Birdnesting...ANyhow its about preference really. ANyhow good luck and tight lines!

sweet446

« Reply #41 on: Mar 22, 2004, 12:17 PM »
thanks and i have those types of line in my tackle box and ill use them. :'(

sweet446

« Reply #42 on: Mar 23, 2004, 10:46 AM »
awwwwwwwww all of our ice melted. :'(

sweet446

« Reply #43 on: Mar 24, 2004, 11:22 AM »
hey germ do u guys still have ur ice? :'(

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Mar 24, 2004, 03:00 PM »
Yep Still have a foot and a half...Don't know how this week is gonna effect it hopfully not alot...Heheh

sweet446

« Reply #45 on: Mar 25, 2004, 09:39 AM »
dam u guys are lucky we have like 3 inches of ice so its closed oh well this april im going black bear hunting.

sweet446

« Reply #46 on: Mar 25, 2004, 01:22 PM »
hey germ ever gone bear hunting?

sweet446

« Reply #47 on: Apr 03, 2004, 06:05 PM »
hey germ ever gone fishin in alberta

UKpro

« Reply #48 on: Sep 25, 2004, 11:54 AM »
the best bait for perch is by far a live minnow bleeding get a big hook and pierce it gut enough for it to stay alive for a while use a small weight to make it sink in the waterso it stuggles to to get to shallow water and u will be pullin out them perch al day trust me im UKpro

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #49 on: Nov 17, 2004, 01:40 PM »
If you prefer to attract and catch only larger perch as I do, use lively shiners ( general species ) in the 2-3 inch range placed onto a size 8 or 10 treble hook attached to at least 6 feet of 6 pound mono without leaders. Use a split shot just big enough to keep them down. I catch perch almost exclusively in the 10-13 inch slot this way. I would rather catch only 10 perch this size on a slow day rather than catch 50 fish jigging and have most of them be dinks. With the depth properly marked on your braided line ( usually a split shot for me ) you'd be surprised at how fast your line can be set back to fishing depth and ready for another flag. Often times the shiner is spit out and flopping on the ice or can be retrieved still alive from the fish's mouth, and used to catch 1 or 2 more fish. I'll admit that it is a lot more fun to land a large perch on an ultralight jigging rod, but the tip-ups for me are the most effective.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 18, 2004, 05:40 PM »
I actually catch many many more perch, even when they are barely biting or tons of dinks around, on my jig rod than my tip ups..everytime out. If i drop it to bottom n hit dinks i reel 1,2,3 or even 4 cranks off bottom n usually find the bigger ones....and once you find them you can usually hold them
Jason

perchpile

« Reply #51 on: Dec 14, 2004, 08:39 PM »
i dig 3 holes at 3 yard intervals in all directions from the shanty and when the littel ones come in i move until i find
the outer edge of the school and get the slobs on the edges using jigs with larger minnows

Offline Icecycle Eddie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #52 on: Dec 25, 2004, 07:53 PM »
I use icecicle bait on ny tip-ups to catch the jumbow perch
they work better than shinners for me always
I Live To Fish

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 25, 2004, 08:42 PM »
what are they... could you explain please Eddie??? ??? :)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2004, 08:40 PM »
Um..icecicles are just small emerald shiners, there's no difference really..... ???

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2004, 09:12 PM »
ah ok thanks :)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #56 on: Dec 28, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Um..icecicles are just small emerald shiners, there's no difference really..... ???

No, they are a different species I believe. They are a very good bait and seem to attract every type of fish under the ice. I think they are the closest thing to a smelt, as far as shape and color, that you can find. I have seen a 15# pike iced on a 3 inch icecicle.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 28, 2004, 04:55 PM »
They are great bait, no doubt, but there really just like emerald shiners....very shiny, almost smeltlike, but so are emeralds.

sweet446

« Reply #58 on: Dec 29, 2004, 02:40 PM »
im baaaaaaaack wow its been along time ive been in my own chatroom

sweet446

« Reply #59 on: Jan 06, 2005, 03:45 PM »
hey guys do u think wire worms will work for perch?also wut kinda bait do u guys suggest

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.