Author Topic: What's your monster yellow perch?  (Read 55958 times)

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
Re: What's your monster yellow perch?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Hey Jaz,
Those are awesome.  We have them here in upstate NY in the fingerlakes, Oneida, and Lake Ontario bays.  I agree you really have to find the right areas to fish and be able to follow them when they move.
I spend alot of time in the fall fishing just for the "jacks".  I would rather fish for them instead of the walleye's during that time of the year.  The action can be crazy and when you get into them you sure can feed alot of hungry people and have a lot of fun.
I also think that if they come alot bigger than the ones you caught that it would probably be an expensive trip to go fish for them. It is nice when they are in your backyard.
Just for the record what type baits did you use?
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:38 PM »
Absolutely, those are some gracious pigs, but I like to gloat sometimes, that where I'll be icefishing this comin weekend, all those perch would be too small and have to be release.

I'm heading to Lake Bourne this weekend, where the minimm size limit is 16 inches on yellow perch, 10 per day.  Lake Miedvie has an 18 inch minimum size limit at 5 per day and the River Plonie and Lake Dabie each have a 14 inch size limit at 10 per day.  Hopin to find some good ice on all these assive perch factories.

My biggest yellow perch to date has been a 3.5 pounder at 18.5 inches.  My guide got on at 21.5 and 5 pounds, an absolute behemouth, and at our baitshop, there is a mount of a 7 pounder on the wall.  I'll get a picture up on this post next week of what 15 pounds of perch look like when the bag limit is five, and I've set my goal to nail a 5 pounder this season.

If you guys want monster perch, go where I go - the northern Carpatian Mountains and Pomerania. 

Dr. JM
PLease post a picture of the 7 pounder i have got to see this
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2007, 02:39 PM »
i haven't caught any really big perch, my biggest is only 12 inches.  i did manage to catch a good dozen or so at that size, but no monsters.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2007, 03:45 PM »
1.78lbs. Got it a few years back, and this summer I caught one that was around 2lbs, Don't have a picture of that unfortunatly :-/
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Hey Jaz,
Those are awesome.  We have them here in upstate NY in the fingerlakes, Oneida, and Lake Ontario bays.  I agree you really have to find the right areas to fish and be able to follow them when they move.
I spend alot of time in the fall fishing just for the "jacks".  I would rather fish for them instead of the walleye's during that time of the year.  The action can be crazy and when you get into them you sure can feed alot of hungry people and have a lot of fun.
I also think that if they come alot bigger than the ones you caught that it would probably be an expensive trip to go fish for them. It is nice when they are in your backyard.
Just for the record what type baits did you use?
One lure that I use is in the pic with the five perch. I have a home made lure that my friends and I use that works well, can not give that one out! Sometimes a spoon, if they are very, very active or when trying to locate a good school.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline miller326

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Kill'em ya grill'em
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:50 PM »
13in she was a fighter

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:36 PM »
man those are some huge fish!! :clap:  i didn't think perch got that fat.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2007, 12:05 AM »
PLease post a picture of the 7 pounder i have got to see this
It must be in Metric!!! ;D

Offline perch chaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:11 AM »
Well you pack yuor bag, passport, and jump on a plane to Czech Republic

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2007, 04:46 PM »
Not my biggest but pretty close

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:09 AM »
[/img][http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/brewyc/0202071129.jpg/img]

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2007, 09:16 AM »

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:59 AM »
I really enjoy seeing "monster perch." That said, posts like this one usually bring out "one-upsmanship." I am justifiably skeptical of any reports of perch that exceed 16" , and would require a photo(yardstick included) of any reported to be 17" or longer for me to believe it. And one more thing...I am referring to yellow perch(Perca flavescens), NOT the european perch (Perca fluviatilis). I know how much larger P. fluviatilis gets that P. flavescens. So.....anyone who has a photo of a 17"+ yellow perch next to a yardstick,  bring it ON!!

O.K. here ya go Perca. 16 1/4 inches and 2.81 lbs. But you know that as you watched me mount her.  ;D

Here she is mounted in a glass case. I painted her belly typical white but in retrospect I wish I had not done so. I may pull her and do so.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 23, 2007, 11:19 AM »
the one i had mounted, nose down in a five gallon bucket, the tail stuck out abot 3/4"
i can't rember the lenght, have to measure a bucket.
my buddy has one on his wall about an inch longer.
i know this- a 151/2" perch is about twice the size of a 14" perch.
the just beef out when they get that long.
both fish came from seneca in the winter
check out the "seneca marine bait and tackle "(google it)web site. billy bob has pictures of lots of fish and game,including some nice finger lakes perch.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 23, 2007, 02:14 PM »
No doubts about your enormous perch Taxidermist1!!!! And I like the white belly. It makes her look fatter(LOL). Hey, scroll up to see the whopper Chickenfoot is holding. ANOTHER yellow perch with 2 forked bars! When it rains it pours.
Now....about a photo of a 17" yellow perch next to a yardstick....??? ;D ;D

Nice!

They catch 18 inch perch here every winter out of Lake Wawasee near me here in Indiana! Trouble is, it always was caught by a friend of a friend of a friend and there is not only no picture, but you can't track down who it was. And no one ever takes one that big to a taxidermist anywhere in the area. A little fishy to say the least.   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 23, 2007, 02:47 PM »
Nice perch there Chickenfoot!  I also commend you for wearing that your spikes around your neck. I don't see many on guys in pics, hopefully they have them on themselves some where. I also wear them around the neck, never,  ever on ice without them. :tipup:

Offline GatorBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jig it like you mean it
« Reply #46 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Ok, so when you are talking about a 5 and 7# perch, are you talking about a N.America Perch or the European/Asian Perch??? Cause the WR is only 4.3# which is 142yrs old. I'm guessing these perch are Perca Fluviatilis and not Perca Flavescens. Just totally curious. Either way, it's a great catch. 

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:09 PM »
142 years old?  ??? ??? ???

Offline cp13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:19 AM »
Taxidermist1, that mount is nothing but pure BAD*SS, love the skoal can addition on the mount lol

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Dec 24, 2007, 08:15 AM »
Taxidermist1, that mount is nothing but pure BAD*SS, love the skoal can addition on the mount lol

Bad*ss? Never heard it expressed that way before.  ;D

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 26, 2007, 09:25 PM »
my best is probly 13" but i know some places where u can get 12 inchers between every four 8" bluegill :thumbsup:

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #51 on: Dec 26, 2007, 10:40 PM »

O.K. here ya go Perca. 16 1/4 inches and 2.81 lbs. But you know that as you watched me mount her.  ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

Here she is mounted in a glass case. I painted her belly typical white but in retrospect I wish I had not done so. I may pull her and do so.

(Image removed from quote.)
THAT IS AWSOME!!!!!!!
How much would a mount like that cost?
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2007, 05:43 PM »
THAT IS AWSOME!!!!!!!
How much would a mount like that cost?
JAZII

If I charged for something like that minus the glass it would be about $500.00. The glass cube cost me $100.00.

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:54 PM »
The one in my Av was 1.24 pounds 8)
Anthony

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:17 PM »
Here's my biggest from 2 years ago.  14 inch fat girl...

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 20, 2008, 11:59 PM »
Okay, this hard water season, besides that 10lb + pike I'm after, I'm after a slob of a Yellow Perch. I figure some of you guys must have some pics of some giants for me to dream over. My son ( 8 years old ) got one over 2 lbs, but I'm still a jigging! that is if we ever get good ice!  ~cube~  :tipup: :tipup:
Over 2lbs in Wyoming would be the state record!!!!! :o :o :o :o
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 21, 2008, 10:27 AM »
15 3/4" and FAT two years ago.  I have no idea what a perch that size would weigh.
  My largest perch was also 15 3/4" caught about 20 years and believe it or not one was caught just after mine that was 17 3/4" which would be a Michigan record I believe.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 21, 2008, 05:34 PM »
  My largest perch was also 15 3/4" caught about 20 years and believe it or not one was caught just after mine that was 17 3/4" which would be a Michigan record I believe.

A nice female 15 inch perch can go 2 lbs. or just under, so a 15 3/4 can be 2 lbs. or more.

Michigan record was 21 inches caught years ago I believe.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 21, 2008, 07:55 PM »
A nice female 15 inch perch can go 2 lbs. or just under so a 15 3/4 can be 2 lbs. or more.

Michigan record was 21 inches caught years ago I believe.
Your correct,21" in 1947.

Offline FishinHank

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Sleep Fish,  It does a body good
« Reply #59 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:07 PM »
you should try keuka, I have caught a couple that were 17" and a lot in the 14-16" range.  not to mention the occasional atlantic salmon tossed in.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.