Author Topic: how big are jumbo's  (Read 43346 times)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re:how big are jumbo's
« Reply #30 on: Jan 11, 2004, 05:05 PM »
a 20 inch perch? You have heard but did you even see it? Get the measure tape out man 20 inch perch? Like seriosuly AM i the only one who thinks this is like a little out there>? I need some pictures guys Beside a tape measure before ill believe any of the 18 or 20 inch perch. It just doenst add up right to me! Like i said i'll believe it when i see it. Tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

lip ripper

« Reply #31 on: Jan 11, 2004, 08:30 PM »
20 inch perch in lake erie i beleive it here in alberta me and my partener have each got 2 on the wallthat are between 15 and 18 inches  those 4 came out of a lake that is only 2 square miles in size

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2004, 06:19 AM »
Send me the picture of your PErch also thers alot of numbers bewteen 15 and 18...Are you saying one of them is 18? Please send me a picture of this foot and a half perch. Post it on here beside the ruler please...I think its more likle 15 and a half rather then near the 18 mark..Just my thoughts but id love to see the picture if you could send it:> Thanks
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

perchpile

« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:08 PM »
i m with u germ i once heared about a 17 in, maybe a new state recored for mi :-\ never got the rest of the story

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:15 PM »
I keep a tape in my supplies for accurate measures. The state record in PA is only 16.5", by the way. Once layed eyes on one that was probably 18-19'' in a glacial pond in NE PA. My brother hooked it on a medium crankbait, and busted the line at the boat. We tried repeatedly, but never saw one of that size again. One of the locals had allegedly landed a 19'' the day before. In this state they wouldn't have qualified for a state record , as it was a private pond, and not open to the public. Never got to ice fish that pond, and now that my uncle passed on, I never will. That one I saw boatside was a true jumbo!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:56 AM »
Hmmm Fish not in the boat broke before the boat 18-19 incher? Well it might as well have been a 3 foot fish. I cannot see it being 19 inches guys im sorry its just me i NEED proof. I seen alot of Perch in various sizes and colors and with crap growing out of them...Never have i seen one over 17. ITs possible anythings possible but I just want to see some pictures is all im saying. I need the hard proof nit just the WOrds! Damm skeptics eh!

lileyehunter

« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2004, 02:40 PM »
mine was 15", but IM TOTALLY SERIOUS it was 20" some guy brought it in for weighing but it was just over a pound, really skinny fish, it wasnt a jumbo either, just a weird perch,and out pa state record was a REALLY fat fish

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2004, 02:56 PM »
Where's the picture? No picture no proof no way! LOL just being a hard arse is all i need a picture if anyone has a perch or knows of a perch over 17 in the 18-20 mark id like a picture please

lileyehunter

« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:00 PM »
sorry man i dont have a pic for ya, my buddy mike felix saw it, you guys should remember that name lol, he's in the 2004 PWT, watch out ted takasaki! once i get my 15" back from the taxidermist in a few weeks ill get a pic of that

grumpymoe

« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2004, 03:33 PM »
when all the debating about what length it is or could be is over, i have one request. SHOW ME THE PICTURE!!!  grumpy

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2004, 04:56 PM »
Ok so You didnt even see the thing at 20 inches..This is one of those Friend of a friend type stuff. Listen i believe my own eyes and that sometimes is doubtful untill a measure tape is beside it. Like i said before it sometimes really hard to guess a length of a fish. I went fishint today and thought the perch i was keeping were like 7-9 inches they were 5-7 inch ones poor guys. LOL i kept only 4 it was damm cold and i was gonna have a snack regradless. LOL Minus 21 outside minus 29 with the windchill. Dangit i hate that cold north wind!

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 16, 2004, 04:02 AM »
18 in perch ??   Walleye!!!
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:17 AM »
Yep thast what i say these guys who are claiming 18 inches don;'t or have never seen a perch and are mistaken for a walleye.

Perchaddict

« Reply #43 on: Jan 21, 2004, 05:53 AM »
I have a 8" mark on my ice skimmer, don't keep anything under that. Where I fish (Sodus Bay, Upstate NY) a Jumbo is 12" or more. Did catch one this year that was 14 3/4". We call those SLOBOLAS

Perchaddict

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 21, 2004, 06:23 AM »
The ontario record for perch is 14 and 3/4 in length and i believe 2 and 3/4 pounder. So just to get a idea of how big a 20 inch would be.

lileyehunter

« Reply #45 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:39 PM »
i should call the WCO office here at walnut creek access and ask if the rumor was true, and germ i said the fish was really scrawny and un healthy, my 15'er weighed more than it did

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 21, 2004, 05:55 PM »
All im saying is without a picture its just one guy telling another guy a STORY. All these 17-20 inchers and no pictures on here? SOunds a lil FISHY to me. Set hook line and sinker. Now reel em in. PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES!

broken rod

« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:03 PM »

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2004, 10:58 PM »
Can't blame anyone for being skeptical, everyones got a fish story. Did catch 2 perch on my fav. local lake Mon. one was 13'' and thin, (male) the other just a tad longer but a fat female. Took pictures too, but haven't got the digital camera yet. Still hoping for larger, but got some impressive and tasty fillets; I was happy and so was the wife. Good luck to all who search for jumbos.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:48 AM »
Those records u showed there are for white perch correct...Arnt we discussing Yellow Perch here? Is there a differnce in size? AS thew picture i looked at there is differnt...But not to familir with the differnces and wonder if its fair to compare the 2 or not? ANyone know of the differneces in the two if any? ALso i post a picture on the ontario part of this forum or i should say trapper posted my picture for me of a 11 inch just to show you guys how i would like to see the pictures of these 17-20 inchers. Plese send em if you got em.

fishmann

« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Not my fish, just an image I found. I'll keep looking for proof of the 18"er. This one's getting close.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=10039&password=&sort=1&cat=529&page=5

fishmann

« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2004, 11:00 AM »
Gettin closer. I gotta figure there ARE some 18-20 inch fish out there somewhere. Not that I expect to ever see one coming up outta MY hole!!  ;)

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=8228&password=&sort=1&cat=529&page=11

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2004, 11:12 AM »
those are both nice perch. ;D what i got out of it the first one was 16" and the second was around 18" but they didn't really measure the fish at the tip of the tail so it could be bigger :o. but i agree highly with germ, a 20" perch must be on steriods or something. if there is a 18-20" perch i need to see it with a very accurate tape measure. we need picture proof.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2004, 02:24 PM »
Well that first one in the snow is more like 14 incher casue it startes measureing before the tail but the second one is probably around the 17 mark or 18 even. As you see in the picture that the tail extends past it. where the measure stops. Now this fish would be trouphy size for sure WOuld be record size for Ontario. My point here is that Its like the equivilent to a 23 pound bass as far as how often you would catch one in this size catagory. Not the normal Run of the mill ..Like oh ya i catch servel in this length...And im totally wrong on this or what?>

fishmann

« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Germ, I think these fish would be considered exceptional anywhere. I'm not trying to suggest that anyone would, or even could, catch fish like these on a regular or consistant basis. That doesn't mean they aren't out there. When I was searching for those pics, ran acrss a lot of weights for perch that were 3 lbs plus, just none that had the desired picture with the tape next to the fish. I can bet they were pretty dang long though!!! :) :)

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2004, 06:50 AM »
Yes but what im saying are these Yellow perch? The records someone psoted are for white perch...Are they the same? Can we compare yellow to white fairly? I have never caught a white perch so i don't know. ANyhow ya i agree they are out there SOmewhere but the same to here people say oh ya i catch lots in the 16-18 catagory. Looking at that bigger picture of the one being taxidermed it is taken on a angle and would be more in the 16.7 inch i believe. Anyhow Would still like the photo's..As iv'e said Ontario Record for perch is like 14  3/4 inch in length at 2 and 3/4 pound. Keep loading in the pics gang.

fishmann

« Reply #56 on: Jan 23, 2004, 09:52 AM »
Sorry, no pics this time, but a pretty complete list of records of Yellow Perch. Not all include length, but you can make some pretty fair assumptions by comparing the weights of those with lengths to those without. I'll keep poking around for pics when I get a chance.

http://www.hotspotfishing.com/records/fish-records-Perch.asp

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2004, 10:53 AM »
Based on those recorfds for perch i would have to say that the white perch gets bigger then the yellow perch. There were a few 4 pounders in the white perch sectiona and NOne for the yellow so i would have to say that if we do talk about perch size that a distinction bewteen the 2 would have to be noted for size and weight fair comparison. Thanks for doing the nosing around for the perch your doing great so far...Now just round me up that 20 incher and ill be done with it. ROFL thanks guys this is really been interesting to me.

Offline TONYR

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 23, 2004, 09:09 PM »
Back in 2001 my partner and I pulled 38 perch from Greenpond lake in NJ ice fishing. I weighed the biggest on a certified cold cut meat scale and it was 1.94 pounds, the ruller tallied 16.5 inches. Of the 20 yellow perch I iced that day, two of them were under a pound, the rest worked their way up to the 16.5/1.94. They were all sow's, no buck's. I have seen fewer that a 1/2 dozen perch that size before or since here in NJ. I would have to agree, an 18 is possible, more than likely in the 3 lb. range if healthy and full of roe. 20 inchers sound like an eyeball measurement, not a ruler/certified scale measurement.  

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 24, 2004, 10:58 AM »
Hey im not saying it isn't POSSSIBLE im just wanting some proof...Im just also saying that severel in the catagory of 18 inches in a day is more like a FISH tale to me...Just bring in the pictures gentlemen or THat 20 inch perch to me is like BIGFOOT. TIght lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.