New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095960 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good morning, Best to all headed out fishing on this Presidents day. Doing a quick look through today's edition of the times Herald record i did not see any photos or article about the king of the ice contest. Also check the Sullivan County Democrat's website (weekly newspaper ) nothing posted there yet about king of the ice. I will check agian later today and throughout this week and post any thing I find about winner and results from this year's contest. If anyone has heard results please post curious as to the species and weight of the fish  which allowed someone to be crowned this year's king-Queen.

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
While fishing Toronto yesterday my buddy was getting info about the KOTI from fakebook. I don't do FB but there were pictures and some info posted there.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Gamalot thank you by my choice not into face book either thought the conservation club might post some type of report on their website did not see anything there when checking this morning.

How did the two of you make out fishing Toronto Reservoir ?

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gamalot thank you by my choice not into face book either thought the conservation club might post some type of report on their website did not see anything there when checking this morning.

How did the two of you make out fishing Toronto Reservoir ?

Steve

A few dink perch plus a 22" pickerel and 2 monster small mouth bass 3-4 pounds, all lived to fight again. Very weird at the Moscow road launch with the water lever dropped a lot and open water from the inlet stream. We drove around to the Dam launch and got on with the snow dog towing. On the way back out the ice had shifted and left the shoreline where we came onto the ice with a 4 foot opening we had to work hard to get back off. Almost a real disaster for us.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you Hardwater diehard I was able to view the Mahogany Ridge photos with the link you provided told to log-in to see KOTI photos. I know Facebook has made some changes in thw way it functions over the past year.

Steve

Ps. Did you receive my last private message ?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fakebook is just too Proprietary on their platform. If you are not a member or refuse to login then you simply can't view much of anything on their site. Many of us, particularly us older folks, can't be bothered with social media sites and prefer our internet privacy to avoid all the constant harassment from advertisers linked to FB. I have friends who send me links to FB stories all the time but I just delete them because I have to sign up or login to view anything on the site. Google is as bad and a few weeks ago I was searching for the right valve and hose for my Mr Buddy heater. Now every morning I get bombarded with spam ads for Mr Buddy heaters. I think clicking on just about any links posted here automatically gets you put on a suckers list by retailers. 

Offline fishfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
We fished Toronto Reservoir yesterday we caught a load of smallies just to the left of the damn when I read the fish report it said they stock brown trout.
Does anyone know if I need to fish deeper water? The smallies are at thirty feet and up

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Gamalot thank you for answering my question about your recent trip to Toronto Reservoir.

Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looks like we will get less rain than expected!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like we will get less rain than expected!

That is great news !!!! Now if we can get the colder than expected temperatures, we would be super back to business. I see 2-4 inches of snow for Friday ..that will help as well

mr.clean  check your PMs
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
We fished Toronto Reservoir yesterday we caught a load of smallies just to the left of the damn when I read the fish report it said they stock brown trout.
Does anyone know if I need to fish deeper water? The smallies are at thirty feet and up

We fished Toronto also on Sunday and did similar with smallies a nice pickerel and a few dinkish perch. You probably saw us pulling our gear with my snowdog machine. Yes, there are trout and walleye in Toronto but few and far between and I highly doubt they have stocked either of them in a few years unless it was the private owners on the restricted Chapin side. We found the Moscow road side was trashed because of the low water level and inlet stream so we went to the dam side launch to get on. By the end of the day the ice had shifted a lot making it tough to get off and up the ramp. BTW, If you do catch a trout in Toronto just be aware it is NOT a designated trout water so it should go back.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Just for everyone's information while checking the Times herald Record and Sullivan County Democrat's websites earlier for news story/photos from KOTI contest I saw a story about ATV/UTV breaking through the ice on White lake about forty minutes after the King of The Ice contest weigh deadline of 3PM and start of awards ceremony . When White lake fire dept .arrived at scene of break through they found other fisherman helping the two occupants of the vehicle back onto ice surface both were taken to the White Lake fire house to warm up and await arrival of EMS -EMT crew for evaluation. A fire dept. spokes person said the majority of lake's ice surface has between 12-17 inches of ice there are some areas where current from incoming-out flowing streams make for thinner ice. Also aerators are being used in certain sections of the lake. The fire dept. was going to investigate why the aerators were being used as they create problems spots. So be alert if you plan to fish at White lake this week.

I did not see any photos /story about KOTI contest on either website.

Gamalot have you checked with the DEC to see if ice fishing is permissible on Toronto Reservoir since it contains trout and uder general ice fishing regulations trout bearing waters are closed to ice fishing unless given special designation and regulations. i don't want to see any one get a ticket.

Hardwater diehard I saw your message and sent you a reply.

Good fishing to all heading out this week.
 Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just because a lake does have trout does not close it to ice fishing. Toronto and Swinging Bridge both are open to ice fishing and being part of the Mongaup they both have trout, you just can't keep any that you might catch. White Lake and Huntington are designated legal trout waters for ice fishing.
Most folks would never expect this but even the Bashakill swamp has trout in it. Most of them are just passing through and heading up stream towards Summitville headwaters or downstream to the Neversink and Delaware. I would have loved being here before they built all the impassible dams along the Mongaup river and the trout had a natural path from the big rivers up into all the smaller brooks and tributaries for spawning naturally. We probably would have no need for the DEC to do any Trout or Walleye stocking.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Fished the other day found 10" of ice and managed a few nice perch

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879 congratulations on the yellow perch . :thumbsup:

Gamalot thank you for clarifying the fishing regulations there are a couple lakes here in Orange county that also have special trout fishing regulations with regards to ice fishing. (Walton and Round)

Steve

Offline TopWaterAuger

• IceShanty Rookie
Just an FYI as of today all of the lakes in Harriman are closed. That place is such a joke. Only Blue Lake and the lakes
In Sterling are open.
Is this forreal? are they open again yet? i was planning to head out there saturday. I cant find anything saying they're closed.

Offline TopWaterAuger

• IceShanty Rookie
Good evening, Frozengills welcome to ice Shanty and the Southern ,NY thread. Thank you for the report on more lakes now being open to ice fishing in Harriman State park. Hopefully the warm up this coming week does not affect the ice to badly and cause some lakes to be closed. May you have a better day next time out on the ice.

The times herald record's website reports the following locations in Sullivan County.  I've rounded off the numbers Rock Hill-3 inches, Monticello-1 inch and Grahamsville -2 inches. I looked at WVOS's website around 8 PM and did not see any updates concerning the Swan Lake F.D. contest so looks likes the event is on registration opens at 6AM at Swan Lake Park 1658 Briscoe road,Swan Lake,NY. Contest starts at 7 AM. Once again best to all attending this contest and fishing elsewhere tomorrow.

Steve
do we know if the lakes at Harriman are open? Was looking to hit Sebago on saturday.

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie
 The Park shut down the lakes about a month ago.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
TopWaterAuger,I have no idea if any lakes are  open for ice fishing in Harriman or Sterling Forest state parks. Here are two phone numbers you can call to see if you will be able to ice fish in either park this Saturday.
                     Tiorati Beach office (845)-429-8257   Sterling Forest visitors center (845)-351-5907  I believe hours for both the office and visitors center is 8Am to 4 PM daily. Friendly reminder you now have to dial the area code even if you live within  it's boundaries due to changes made in phone service this past Fall.

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie
Top water auger, again, Park closed the lakes about a month ago.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks HD. Too bad the ATV story is only available to subscribers. I would love to hear where the ATV went through and the full story.

Clear your browser/cookies

ATV falls through ice
Posted Tuesday, February 22, 2022 4:17 am
BETHEL — An All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) with two people onboard fell through the ice on White Lake shortly after the annual King of the Ice tournament had ended on Sunday.

It was around 3:41 p.m. after all the ice fishers had returned to the weigh station for the awarding of trophies and drawing of raffle tickets when White Lake firefighters were notified of two subjects through the ice.

EMS was requested to stage at the White Lake fire station on 17B while units immediately went on the ice with their UTV to locate the emergency.

While enroute on the lake responders came across a UTV with both subjects on board.

According to the White Lake Fire Company, it was submerged along with its two occupants after it fell through the ice. Both subjects attempted to escape the frigid waters while bystanders managed to assist them.

The White Lake Fire Company took both subjects to their fire station where they were able to warm up while waiting for EMS.

White Lake firefighters were assisted by Mobilemedic EMS, the Sullivan County Sheriffs Department and the NYSDEC.

“Please stay aware of ice conditions. Most areas have 12-17 inches of ice but there are several areas open from aerators and wind,” the White Lake Fire Company said in a statement. “We hope to address these aerators as they pose a serious safety hazard on the lake in the winter months.”

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater diehard thank you for the links to Sullivan County Democrat stories on KOTI and the ATV breaking through ice at White Lake. The third place winner in youth perch category is Beachwoods16 son. Closest contest for the biggest fish this year and title of King.

Steve

Offline TopWaterAuger

• IceShanty Rookie
Good morning, Best to all headed out fishing on this Presidents day. Doing a quick look through today's edition of the times Herald record i did not see any photos or article about the king of the ice contest. Also check the Sullivan County Democrat's website (weekly newspaper ) nothing posted there yet about king of the ice. I will check agian later today and throughout this week and post any thing I find about winner and results from this year's contest. If anyone has heard results please post curious as to the species and weight of the fish  which allowed someone to be crowned this year's king-Queen.

Steve

Hey Steve, contest happened and i participated. Decent turn out but nothing like last year. Winner was some old timer with a 4.5LB Pickerel. Weather was crap all weekend not to mention the 65 degrees plus rain on thursday and friday which caused a flash flood warning. Oh and the SQUALL that hit us out of nowhere while out on white lake Saturday. Hoping to get out again this weekend but the ice isnt looking good. -James 

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
King of the ice was interesting to say the least. I had 6 pickeral and one perch no winners. At the end we see about 5 ATV and a fire department utv racing to other side of lake. 2 girls went through ice on atv. They drove only feet away from open water bubbler. A few of their friends where standing next to us at the awards. They where in a panic someone called them to let them know. The friends where still drinking at the end so possible that the girls who went down where drinking?? Thank God a ice fisherman pulled them out safe.one of the mothers is going after the fire department and club for not marking off the bubbler spot. So let's see what happens next year????? After they gave the king of ice award out and money the president said that the weighmaster made a mistake and he took everything back from the man and gave it to someone else. So it was a real crap show.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
TopWaterAuger-Jghunter thank you for your reports from the king of the ice contest. Hopefully they due a better job with the weigh-in and results next year. I will also venture a guess any aerator's/bubblers and other areas of thin ice will be marked at next year's contest.

TopWaterAuger here are two places you might be able to ice fish this weekend . Winding Hills park (Orange county) off of route 17k in Town of Montgomery 40 acre lake  max.depth 10 feet, blue gills, yellow perch .This park like Harriman and Sterling forest has a ice thickness requirement so call park office before making the trip .Also at this time fishing is catch and release only.

park office (845)-457-4918  hours (am- 5 PM

Chodikee lake outside of New Paltz,NY. (ulster county) lake is off of route 299 state access is on North Chodikee lake road. large mouth bass,chain pickerel,yellow perch,other pan fish. this lake is near the DEC region 3 headquarters in New Platz so give them a call hopefully can tell you ice conditions.   
 Region 3 NYSDEC (845)-256-3161
the closest place i know of to get bait near both of these lakes is Thruway Sporting goods at the base of oak street in Walden, NY. Believe they open at 8AM fishing dept. is on second floor. i hope this is of some help to you.

Steve

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anybody been by morning side how are edges holding up

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Im hoping that my favorite haunts are safe....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.