New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095800 times)

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
K.O.T.I. is on Sunday February 20th. We won't have an accurate weather prediction until about Friday the 18th. A lot can happen in 10 days. Temperatures and snow could turn White Lake into a bucket of slush or stiff winds could make fishing miserable. I have fished it in both conditions but the one condition that will ruin it for me is bitter cold with high winds. We won't know until Friday what to expect. If I really do get a second reincarnation I want to come back as a Meteorologist, they can get it wrong more often than right and still get paid the big bucks. BTW, I fished White lake on Tuesday, 14 inches of ice but don't dare leave a fish on the ice while you go back to the shanty for a new hook.

The forcast isn't bad for K.O.T.OI. .......so far. If you want to play state the obvious then of course Yes the weather could end up worse than they say. But through the years looking ahead it looks  more optimistic then most. Also if you throw the pickerel down the whole Eagles won't eat them and they will be there for someone else to catch.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The forcast isn't bad for K.O.T.OI. .......so far. If you want to play state the obvious then of course Yes the weather could end up worse than they say. But through the years looking ahead it looks  more optimistic then most. Also if you throw the pickerel down the whole Eagles won't eat them and they will be there for someone else to catch.

That pickerel was going in my bucket to be pickled. Yup, I should have taken it back to my shanty when I went for another hook but I just left him there and was more intent on getting the tip up back down the hole. Oh Well, Eagles have to eat too.
As far as the weather goes, it just seems to me the more technology the weather predictors put into the mix the less accurate they are. On Tuesday this week the ice was as near to perfect as we could hope for but a lot can change before the contest. We all have our preferences and I hate fishing in slush or high winds so we won't know the actual conditions until a couple days before the party. This Thursday it is predicted to be 50 degrees and rain so we will see what that does to the ice for next Sunday. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Jghunter, thank you for replying to my question glad you had a fun time at the Northern Challenge in spite of the slow fishing.
  Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jigged White Lake at sunset. One Dink And one nice bite I had on  for a few seconds. I didn't have a tape but I would guess There was an easy 12 inches of solid ice.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Beachwoods 16 thank you for the report sorry to hear you lost the one fish. I spoke with a friend of mine earlier this evening he spent a few hours at Kiameshia lake (Monticello area) in the morning sadly no fish for him also told me lots of slush and water on top of ice surface.

Just curious did anyone attend the Hurleyville fire Dept-Town of Fallsburg Youth Commission contest today. how did you do any reports and lengths/weights of winning fish in each species category .

Best to all fishing tomorrow. have a good week.
  Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Drove by Swinging Bridge yesterday......doesn't looked used at all. Lot is clean and one set of snowmobile tracks on the ice. Nothing in Reports and conditions, wondering if anyone has any info.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I live just 5 miles from SB and it is the last place I go to fish the hard water. It is a good fishing lake but it scares me to no end with the Mongaup running right through it and where it could have 10" of ice in one spot it could only have a couple inches in others. Just off and to the left from the public launch there is an underground pipe that connects to Cliff Lake and that is the last place to freeze and the first to thaw.
Don't count on me for any reports and it could be just fine right now but I don't often fish it and they moved the King contest from SB years ago for that exact reason. It is also pretty common to see the launch all busted up with steep ice from the water being real high and then the level dropped suddenly leaving a total mess by the ramp.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Drove by Swinging Bridge yesterday......doesn't looked used at all. Lot is clean and one set of snowmobile tracks on the ice. Nothing in Reports and conditions, wondering if anyone has any info.

Have been fishing it pretty hard this year and doing well. The ice averaged about 7 inches downstream of the launch where Cliff Lake dumps in and about 12 upstream in the flats as of this past Saturday. After the rain the lake came up a couple feet, the edges got funky and the crowds disappeared. Prior to the rain there were a lot of people and machines--including the guy with the ski-plane--out regularly. If you go, bring creepers and be really careful getting on and off.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks ice wine.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As a young kid back in the mid 60s I remember chopping through 24" of ice on SB with a freaking spud and catching some real nice trout. The KOTI contest was a big draw there before the power company played with the water levels up and down. Same goes for the Rio back some decades ago. All of these lakes are connected White, Cliff, Toronto, Lebanon, Mongaup Falls, Rio and a few others in between. How they run the turbines and how they list the Eagle nesting area restrictions has more to do with the conditions and fishing regulations. SB is a long and very deep lake so if there is a foot or more in some spots I would think its safe in most spots but I would not take that to a bank. I've been here for 70 years come April and fishing the Mongaup chain of lakes for as long as I have been fishing. We now have a pretty good year for ice fishing so go for it but it won't last all that long past late February. Superior is also in this chain along with Black lake and lots of others that all flow to the Mighty Delaware. Pull up the google earth maps and you can see the flow directions.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
When the K.O.T.I. was on Sb, you never knew what they where going to pull up. I remember one year the controversy was over wether a carp could win. It was the biggest fish that year.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Greenwood Lake sucks anyway
10 bucks a day lol
🤬🤬🤬NJ

If you don't know where to go it sucks....

pulled a 44" muskie and a 24" walleye out of there through the ice.... also multiple eater perch over the years

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Interesting, Warwick/Florida  does exactly the same thing,. Stinks being minutes away and treated like second class citizens huh.

Warwick/Florida was done because the hasidics were raiding the place during covid. Also people leaving trash all over the place and destroying things in the park.... honestly we are our own enemy... and honestly who really cares the towns and villages are the ones who upkeep the areas if you can't afford $5 or $10 for the year (Florida/warwick) you need to reevaluate your finances.... GWL per day is a little iffy but then again if your not from the area how often do you visit the area during the winter maybe once or twice during the season with the way the ice has been

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I fished Toronto yesterday. Not much happening other than a few dink perch and 3 nice SMs. The ice is 13" and cleats are a must. The wind was nothing short of brutal all day long. Depending upon what the warm temps bring today and how much rain we get things can change drastically in 24 hours. On my way home there were guys out on SB and also on Highland and White.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I fished Toronto yesterday. Not much happening other than a few dink perch and 3 nice SMs. The ice is 13" and cleats are a must. The wind was nothing short of brutal all day long. Depending upon what the warm temps bring today and how much rain we get things can change drastically in 24 hours. On my way home there were guys out on SB and also on Highland and White.
Hey Gam, Did you see machines on Swb?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Gam, Did you see machines on Swb?

I do believe there was at least one but way over by the split where the two streams converge. There were 2 shanties or hubs so I suspect they had machines. Toronto had tracks from snowmobiles and ATVs from when there was slush and snow. I had my SnowDog and went from Moscow road launch about 3/4 of the way to the dam.
BTW, If you plan to fish Toronto then getting to the launch on the dam end is tricky because the bridge is out and under construction. You have to go through very narrow side streets to get past the bridge and I would avoid it if you are pulling a trailer like I do.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
For those who are thinking about going to Whitney point crappie derby we have 16 inches of ice but there is talk about flooding causing them to lower water levels in the reservoir if that happens it might be cancelled so make sure it's on before making the trip

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I wonder how king of the ice and mahogany ridge contest this weekend is going to hold up????rain warm.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just a guess from a local old timer on the contests in Sullivan county this weekend. My outing yesterday on Toronto showed a measured 12-13" of ice and it was solid with a glare on top. Yes we did have almost 50 today and only light rain so far. I would expect to find glare ice and maybe a little water on top but doubtful the thickness will be affected much at all. I would be more concerned with the wind direction and speed if I were fishing either contest. If the winds we will get tonight, tomorrow and Saturday continue then plan to strap all your gear down. We will know better on Saturday if you need rubber boots but I think for sure cleats will be a must. The snow that was on top is pretty much glare ice now except in a few protected coves so I highly doubt we will see much slush but that too could change over night. I have 48 here now at 6:48 PM Thursday night with light rain but cold and heavy winds predicted for tonight and tomorrow. Hope for one of us to report ice conditions tomorrow night to get a more accurate read. My weather report says wind gusts as high as 36 MPH for Saturday with a high of 34*. Saturday night says 11* with winds up to 37 MPH but sunny and 34 on Sunday with no wind prediction report yet.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Greensider thank you for the update on the Whitney point crappie derby.

Gamalot thank you for the report on ice conditions at Toronto reservoir. Good to know the access area by the dam is open just have to take a detour to reach it currently.

Jghunter the Mahogany Ridge hunting -fishing club does have a Facebook page you should find updates on the contest posted there just be sure you have the correct account I believe there is a similarly name sportsman's club in another state so make sure you have New York club. I'm guessing that even if they decide the ice is unsafe for a large group to be fishing the pig roast will still be held on Saturday. Below is a link to the Sullivan County Conservation club's website i would check there around 5-6 PM on Saturday night for any contest updates or cancellation notice. Think they also have a Facebook account.
                                         www.sullivancountyconservationclub.org   king of the ice contest

Hardwater diehard please check your private message in-box you should have received a message from me.

Steve

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Mr clean I know about the Facebook pages just wondering if anybody lives near by and was checking it out today.  I will be at both of they have them.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Jghunter you are welcome, hopefully some member lives close to both lakes and post a report in this thread or under Sullivan County small waters in the New York reports&conditions forum.

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hoping that some who did fish the Mahogany/Highland lake contest today will chime in. I know they got a heck of a BJ and a few wild snow squalls but hope the fish cooperated for the miserable conditions they endured. We got home from grocery shopping just minutes before the squall hit and I was out unloading the car. I bet in less than 15 minutes it dumped an inch of fresh powder snow but I couldn't see my hand in front of me during it.

Offline jghunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was there. Morning was great then the whiteout happened !!! Winds like 40mph and couldn't see. Maybe 2" snow in 20 min.fishing was great for me . Caught like 50 crappies but only like 20 keepers 9-10". All small but found the honey hole in 20ft. Had about a 4lb bass few pickeral and a big cat fish. Didn't win anything but had fun until hell broke loose at 1pm. Saw a few nice pickeral caught but nothing huge. Slow overall for most. Trying again tomorrow at king of the ice. Not sure what the winners were today left after 50/50.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks for the report JGhunter. I am going tomorrow but not to the KOTI on White, I like Toronto much better for some odd reason. I suspect you found what I said, 12-14" and glare ice today. When that squall hit I first felt very sorry for those who stayed through it. We saw plenty of solid whiteouts when we were up outside of Rochester but those are pretty rare here. Best of luck tomorrow and hope we have a much nicer day with much lighter winds.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Jghunter thank you for your report on the  Mahogany Ridge hunting-fishing club contest. Sounds like the snow squalls left more snow in Sullivan county then here in Orange county by city of Newburgh. There were at least two squalls one around 11 AM and a second around 1PM or a little later both only left a  dusting of snow on unpaved surfaces most of that has been blown away by the wind.Best to you and anyone else fishing the King of the ice contest tomorrow.

Gamalot may you have a good outing at Toronto reservoir . Hopefully wind speeds are lower tomorrow still ripping pretty good here while I type this post.

Everyone enjoy what is left of this holiday weekend.

Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
A cold start but a nice day for K.O.T.I. We had a few flags and a few pickerel and perch.........includin g my sons third place perch in the kids division. He didn't put that trophy down till we got home. Another day on the ice with him and seeing him that happy is more like winning the lottery than  winning king of the ice! :) Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Beachwoods16 thank you for the report glad you had a good time at the KOTI contest. Please pass my congratulations on to your son for catching a prize winning perch in the youth division.

Steve

The Times Herald record newspaper usually has some photos and a small article in the contest in the paper on Monday folling the contest. Below is a link for those interested in contest results. The Conservation club may also have something posted on their website or FaceBook.

www.recordonline.com

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
A cold start but a nice day for K.O.T.I. We had a few flags and a few pickerel and perch.........includin g my sons third place perch in the kids division. He didn't put that trophy down till we got home. Another day on the ice with him and seeing him that happy is more like winning the lottery than  winning king of the ice! :) Hope everyone had a good weekend.

So cool. Congrats to your son!
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.