New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095822 times)

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
same situation at colgate pond in greene county yesterday.  about 4 inches crap ice age 2 inches clear.  caught some brookies while my girlfriend snowboarded at hunter

Offline Jigger nut

• IceShanty Rookie
Hello new member here. My name is Walt. I live in Orange county. Hope to get more time on the ice this year. Good luck to everyone.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hello new member here. My name is Walt. I live in Orange county. Hope to get more time on the ice this year. Good luck to everyone.

Welcome aboard ...be sure to add your location ...county and state to your profile . Here is to hoping the predicted cold spell locks some local waters up before the new year.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Jigger nut welcome to Ice Shanty.
 Tipup28 thank you for the video,congratulations on finding ice that you feel comfortable fishing on and having a good first outing.

Steve

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict

pike AND musky in that little pond?.....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If that pond or lake does have big Pike and Musky in it you can bet those little slime dart Pickerel live in fear. Nice video and I won't ask exact details but it would be good to hear about where in the Northern Catskills you found safe ice and how thick it is. I hate that snow/slush type of ice but that can change pretty quickly if the predictions for today and next week hold true. The report says heavy and warm rains today with 50* which should hammer the snow on the ice and then followed by single digit temps that could be a great sign.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Yup! Tiger muskies have been stocked for about ten years or so and northerns have been introduced via illegal stocking. Both are rare to hook into but I have heard reliable confirmed reports for both.

There was about 3" of black ice as a base and 2-4" of white ice on top. Too bad the weather today will destroy a lot of it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
From just driving around lower Sullivan County ..I have seen several anglers on ice ..It does appear most of the snow was blown away during the storm ...meaning less snow atop the ice ...and if any snow was left has melted into the ice . Now with this rain on the way ..I believe will melt into the ice as well ... just adding to the overall total of thickness once the BIG CHILL arrives . It will probably be a mixed bag of ice thicknesses on any body of water ...so SPUD ...SPUD...aannnndddd SPUD some more . I also believe there is no chance for black ice ..unless a body of water was completely barren of any ice ...like the bigger lakes or lakes with partial ice . I expect to be trying/checking my usual first ice spots possibly Sunday or Monday...with a buddy ..ice chisel ..throw bag ..and my Striker Ice Trekker Bibs.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I drove past Rio yesterday and not a drop of ice on it except in the cove just past the public launch. Waiting to hear some accurate reports from White and SB before I even think about fishing. I would bet Morningside has ice but not sure how thick it is. Small farm ponds are the way to go for now but better days are coming if this cold front sticks around.
I would suggest we don't talk too much about all the fun we will be having soon. If Cuomo hears about it he will be closing ice fishing down too!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Heard from a friend who lives by Morningside that there was a group of guys ice fishing on the far side of the lake from the launch on Monday, but the ice didn't look great. He didn't check thickness. Loch Sheldrake had sketchy ice by the launch and open water on the far side.

Offline Jigger nut

• IceShanty Rookie
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE ! Lets all hope & pray for some good & safe ice all the way thru March ! Walt

Offline Sm94427p

• IceShanty Rookie
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE ! Lets all hope & pray for some good & safe ice all the way thru March ! Walt

Yea man im from dutchess and I already have a feeling ill be driving way north this year

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
pike AND musky in that little pond?.....
Looks like North lake to me. That is the only lake in the catskills with tiger muskies. North south lake freezes early because of the elevation

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Made it out before the rain hit last Tuesday. Private lake in Sullivan.  Rewarded with a few good ones! Stay safe out there, tight lines!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Did some scouting in sullivan with Dave237 unable to find any save ice nor did we see anyone on the lakes we passed and did not check hopefully this weekend wont be a wash with this up coming storm Friday

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
I drove past Rio yesterday and not a drop of ice on it except in the cove just past the public launch. Waiting to hear some accurate reports from White and SB before I even think about fishing. I would bet Morningside has ice but not sure how thick it is. Small farm ponds are the way to go for now but better days are coming if this cold front sticks around.
I would suggest we don't talk too much about all the fun we will be having soon. If Cuomo hears about it he will be closing ice fishing down too!
Lol! That makes my day brother!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Hahahaha
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Happy New Year everyone. Scouting earlier this week found everything from open water to just barely walkable @ 2+inches. The weather seems to be keeping us in a tease! Lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks Loudmouth, They are all nice!

Offline River_Rat

• IceShanty Rookie
Im new and posting to see the conditions board. I had 2 inch of ice on my backyard pond today in Gardiner NY.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Welcome River-Rat to Ice Shanty.
  Steve

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Welcome River_Rat!

Offline AdamR

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the area and excited to get started!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Anybody fishing fourth lake yet?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

That's prob a question for the northern ny guys

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
That's prob a question for the northern ny guys
Good point. I used search function and it landed me here. Trying to abide by the rules and not post in general NY threads

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Haply new years everyone. Anyone been on ice in Sullivan this past week planning on taking the trip up this weekend.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
Haven’t heard about fourth but lots of other lakes in the area have 5-7”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.