New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095791 times)

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
Spent all day jigging at Boyds Corner Reservoir, was solid 7-8 inches white ice everywhere, edges safe.  Tried on dropoffs, bays, off points, a few marks following but no luck.  A few others were out there with tip ups but i didn't see much going on

I was out there as well for about 4 hours. Got a fat 12" yellow on a tip-up right after I got there. After that one pickerel on a tip-up and jigged up 1 dink yellow.

Was on Gilead on Saturday. One 12" brown on tip-up and jigged up a pickerel.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
I fished it Saturday and then tried again Sunday but couldn't get on. The edges are really funky, it is still dropping from all that rain. Beyond the edge there is 7 inches of ice.

Thanks should tighten up nice then after this deep freeze we're going to get

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
FYI there is ICE!!! ;D

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro

One gill each for my friend and I tonight. Hopefully the bite turns on soon.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Had a small window of action this morning where I got seven small gills in span of ten minutes out of the two hours I was there. Many lookers but few takers.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Had a small window of action this morning where I got seven small gills in span of ten minutes out of the two hours I was there. Many lookers but few takers.

That "Small Window" is what I find almost every time I go. Seems like nothing happens for an hour and then all of a sudden the dinner bell rings and I get hits and flags for a short time and then it turns right back off again. Watching the other guys out fishing and they too are having action and then we all go sit again. It is the way it is and the first guy who figures out what causes the bite and finds a way to make it happen will be an instant millionaire.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline georgegren

• IceShanty Rookie
Had 4-5" of ice on Mills Rd side of Titicus this morning. Middle still looked sketchy though.
I had several flags, but wasn't able put anything on ice. Lost one nice fish at the hole, broke the leader. ugh!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hit the ice at 5 a.m. Tip ups extra jigging holes All before sun up. Marked fish All the way till 2p.m. when battery gave out. One nice perch two nice gills and piles of small gills.  What a beautiful day out there!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just a heads up on bait. I just ordered from Tractor Supply on line 1,000 live meal worms for $29.99 with free shipping. Super size meal worms are $39.99 and free shipping too.
My regular bait shop wanted $2.50 for a dozen of the super size.

Gam

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know how is the ice on Greenwood?
Thanks in advance

Offline Justinrc21

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone have any experience on sylvan lake? I heard a story about a 10 pound brown being caught there… wondering if it's worth a trip
'For those who have defended it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know' ~Unknown~

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
High pressure is moving in for the next bunch of days and I found some active gills tonight. Couldn't set up the shanty since it kept blowing away lol. Roughed it outside till 730 pm, managed three gills and had missed many since it was hard to detect bites in the wind.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
Any updates on Gleneida?  May go there Sunday.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline seadog8

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone have any experience on sylvan lake? I heard a story about a 10 pound brown being caught there… wondering if it's worth a trip

I've fished Sylvan a few times in the open water.  There are definitely big trout in there. D's Bait and Tackle has 2 huge brown trout mounts in his
shop.
I've only caught some small browns there.  I've never had much luck ice fishing, but only tried it a couple of times.
There are also some nice largemouths in there.

Offline BruceT

• IceShanty Rookie
Checked the ice two days ago on sylvan didn't look good.  Maybe after last night there is enough ice.

Offline twinlakesfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone been on swinging bridge or Toronto Lake in sullivan county yet?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
anyone been on swinging bridge or Toronto Lake in sullivan county yet?

I drove past SB on my way to fish Toronto on Sunday. Guys were out on SB from the public launch and over on the point. No info on ice thickness or the bite. Toronto had guys out and 6 inches where we fished from the dam launch area. Only one small mouth all day and 2 other guys fishing had similar results. The launch itself is a disaster with a big wash out toward the bottom that will be tough getting a machine over.

Gam

Offline greengiant64

• IceShanty Rookie
Goodmorning. I'm a newbie.  Moved to Dutchess county (Lagrange/Poughkeepsie) 2 years ago from the Binghamton area, and hoping to finally get out on the ice this weekend with my kids.  Any suggestions for a smaller pond/lake with decent access for the kids (ages 8 and up) and I to pull the sled out and set up the hut.  It is their first time getting out, so i'm hoping to make it a fun time and have them catch something....anything.    I was looking at
Also, I did some research and I'm striking out on finding a bait shop in the Poughkeepsie vicinity or anywhere for that matter.
Thanks

Offline catskills

• IceShanty Rookie
Goodmorning. I'm a newbie.  Moved to Dutchess county (Lagrange/Poughkeepsie) 2 years ago from the Binghamton area, and hoping to finally get out on the ice this weekend with my kids.  Any suggestions for a smaller pond/lake with decent access for the kids (ages 8 and up) and I to pull the sled out and set up the hut.  It is their first time getting out, so i'm hoping to make it a fun time and have them catch something....anything.    I was looking at
Also, I did some research and I'm striking out on finding a bait shop in the Poughkeepsie vicinity or anywhere for that matter.
Thanks

I'm across the river so have no advice on fishing spots but on this other forum, Hudsonvalleysportsman, I see Northern Dutchess Archery mention they have live bait during ice fishing season.  Also recent topics on locations in the HV for fishing.

Offline Coldfusion

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks

A good spot to get the kids hooked is on White Pond on the Dutchess / Putnam Border. For bait, there is Big Wave Bait and Tackle in Mahopac or Candlewood Bait and Tackle in Danbury. Good luck

Offline greengiant64

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the advice!   That White Pond looks perfect to try out, and it's in the same direction for me as the two bait shops.  And that's exactly it, just want to get them hooked by showing them a good time, the first time they go. 

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the advice!   That White Pond looks perfect to try out, and it's in the same direction for me as the two bait shops.  And that's exactly it, just want to get them hooked by showing them a good time, the first time they go.
Go to Candlewood Bait and Tackle for your bait.  About 1/3 the cost of NY shops for certified shiners and always helpful.  Exit 5 off Rte 84 east, maybe 10 minutes or so from NY line but well worth it.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
My friend and I got five gills and 2 surprise golden shiners tonight. I wonder how they taste lol, they were about 9 inches.

Offline Piehlerfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
So does anyone have ice thickness reports for the east west and middle branch reservoirs. And bog brook reservoir  was thinking about trying bog brook tomorrow morning  :tipup:

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
So does anyone have ice thickness reports for the east west and middle branch reservoirs. And bog brook reservoir  was thinking about trying bog brook tomorrow morning  :tipup:

I have not been to nay of them yet - but I know they are all being fished.
I will be trying Middle Branch tomorrow...

Offline jimc1965

• IceShanty Rookie
Does anyone know how is the ice on Greenwood?
Thanks in advance

Fished Greenwood this Morning. a few decent Perch and a bunch of dinks. Fished 6 tip-ups and a jigging rod. A good 7 inches of ice where I was fishing. Saw guys fishing the North end too.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
9 gills tonight. Still very finicky.

Offline TK464PAPD

• IceShanty Rookie
An ice reports on cross river titicus. Or any of the westchester county reservoirs

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
An ice reports on cross river titicus. Or any of the westchester county reservoirs
Fished Lake Gilead today.  10" measured where I was.  No trout, 1 small pickerel. 

Offline TK464PAPD

• IceShanty Rookie
Can anyone answer is the shop still open

Bob's Bait & Tackle
Intersection Route 100/35
Katonah, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.