New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095989 times)

Offline Outlaw fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anybody been on the muscoot in the last couple of days?Thinking about jigging it on Thursday and curious about the conditions.I was there a couple of weeks ago and had plenty of safe ice.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Lake Huntington Report:  First, met Hardwater Diehard at SportsNuts on Thursday on my way up to Huntington.  Nice to see you again Tom !   We fished a private lake on Thursday for some yellows andpicks.  Friday headed up to Huntington where we met a couple of IceShanty guys and fished with them all day.  Action was VERY SLOW with only three flags for us, and no action jigging.  Could not locate any bodies of fish with myMarcum.  Side note:  Saw one guy with a 4 Wheeler, then another actually drove a full sized Truck onto the ice.  The truck guy didn't stay long.
NEXT TRIP TO SULLIVAN COUNTY...... will be Feb. 17 for the Highland Lake contest, then Feb. 18 for King of The Ice.  We should think about an IceShanty.com get-together for the Highland Lake contest, as we have done in the past.  It's a great event and a great opportunity for us to fish and socialize together as a group.  Let me know if you're coming and we'll pick out an area for our group to meet (it's a big lake)!!  Check in spot is the Sand Beach Bar, and they usually have live bait available.  Plenty of parking.

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
It was good meeting up with you guys on Huntington. Wish the fishing was better but we had a good time out on the hard water.

Swan lake tournament yesterday turned out to be a nice day with a lot of action. We caught a ton of pickerel and perch. Our pickerel didn't have any real good size but again we had a ball out on the hard water. It was also a nice turn out for the fire company.
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
IceBalls thanks for the report on Lake Huntington outing glad some Ice Shanty members showed up to fish with you. Sounds like a fun day in spite of poor action . Hope we do not hear a story of someone in a vehicle breaking through the ice at Huntington before season ends this year . I would be leery of lake edges currently with warm weather and recent rains.

Fifield  Outfitters  happy to read there was a good turn out for Swan Lake contest . I have a few questions you can answer here in the open forum or send me a message.
 what was the entry fee
 where do you park
  Is food/drink and live bait fish available for purchase
 Do you have any phone number to call for information on the contest or just keep a watch on department's Facebook page next year and know contest is usually held on last Saturday or Sunday in January.

Steve

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Good afternoon gentleman, glad to see everyone had a good weekend ice fishing. I’d definitely be willing to meet up with whoever is going to the Huntington tourney the weekend of the 18th keep me posted. On another note has anyone tried this HT Hookmaster in the link below? If so what are your thought?

https://www.thrillon.com/tag/ht-hookmaster-sure-hook-hookset-system

It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Looks like it’s the same concept as the Jawjacker or Automatic Fisherman but much more affordable
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Looks like it’s the same concept as the Jawjacker or Automatic Fisherman but much more affordable

I have two ..they work very well ...the only thing I am concerned about is the moving parts ..flag and trip mechanism have no self storage ...the trip is very adjustable ...the flag I am not so confident about attaching to all rods in the right spot so not be a hindrance to the trip ...but so far hasn't been bad ..I am targeting perch and crappie but have only landed pickerel . EZPZ design and price was right...I also have a Automatic fisherman and a Ifish pro ...both of those take up a lot of real estate in my sled.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Slow fishing the past bunch of days. Went jigging on a local pond Friday night, 7.5" of ice, couldn't mark a fish or manage a bite. Fished Chodikee on Saturday, 5 keeper bluegills and a small largemouth jigging. Onteora on Sunday produced 6 keeper gills, 2 throwbacks, and a barely keeper yellow perch. Really had to move a lot and work for them both days. Everyone I talked to said the action was slow. Ice is fine, 13" on Chodikee, 9.5-10.5" on Onteora.

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
IceBalls thanks for the report on Lake Huntington outing glad some Ice Shanty members showed up to fish with you. Sounds like a fun day in spite of poor action . Hope we do not hear a story of someone in a vehicle breaking through the ice at Huntington before season ends this year . I would be leery of lake edges currently with warm weather and recent rains.

Fifield  Outfitters  happy to read there was a good turn out for Swan Lake contest . I have a few questions you can answer here in the open forum or send me a message.
 what was the entry fee
 where do you park
  Is food/drink and live bait fish available for purchase
 Do you have any phone number to call for information on the contest or just keep a watch on department's Facebook page next year and know contest is usually held on last Saturday or Sunday in January.

Steve
The entry fee was $10.00 per fisherman
You can park in a couple different pull offs around the lake but it is a private lake so I think this parking is only available during the contest
Food/drink is available for breakfast and lunch
Baitfish where available throughout the day
They had a 50/50 and a basket raffle
It was a really good time with a great group of guys fishing

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good afternoon gentleman, glad to see everyone had a good weekend ice fishing. I’d definitely be willing to meet up with whoever is going to the Huntington tourney the weekend of the 18th keep me posted. On another note has anyone tried this HT Hookmaster in the link below? If so what are your thought?

https://www.thrillon.com/tag/ht-hookmaster-sure-hook-hookset-system

BigGIII  TAKE NOTE !!!!!  tHE TOURNAMENT ON FEB. 17 IS ON HIGHLAND LAKE (NOT HUNTINGTON)!!!
The following day (Feb. 18) is the "King of The Ice" tournament on WhiteLake. 

Hope to see a good turnout of IceShanty.com guys (and Gals) on Highland on the 17th.  Bring the Family --- it's a PARTY !!!!

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Has anybody been by Sturgeon Pool recently? Wondering how the ice is, and also wondering where does one park for ice fishing?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Fifield Outfitters thank your for your reply and the information . Guessing registration spot was by tennis courts of former Presidents/Stevensville resort.
Steve

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fifield Outfitters thank your for your reply and the information . Guessing registration spot was by tennis courts of former Presidents/Stevensville resort.
Steve
👍🏻

Offline LetItBePike

• IceShanty Rookie
I better be fishing

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
anyone been on Huntington or White lake? I was looking to get out there tommorow just wanna be sure the ice is still good

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I was on White lake on Saturday and had 9-10 inches of clear black ice under me. What I didn't have under me was any fish and 2 other groups fishing did about the same.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
anyone been on Huntington or White lake? I was looking to get out there tommorow just wanna be sure the ice is still good
I was out there last friday on Huntington and the ice was good. I would have to say white lake is good to go also. we were on Swan lake sunday and there was 10 inches of hard water on that lake. Hope this helps.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

The Northern shores take a beating with the noon to dusk sun...23F now dropping all night ...have a plan B location and/or a plank/ladder to get across the sketchy shoreline... plenty of ice...access is the key/problem.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
thanks guys appreciate it  :tipup:

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Forgot to mention....while fishing Huntington on Friday we met Fifield_Outfitters and spent the day fishing next to them.  First time I saw a Propane auger in action, and actually they drilled a bunch of holes for us, relieving a couple of Septogenarians of a laborious task.  Thanks a bunch guys !!!  Incidentally..... Fifield are Hunting Outfitters & Guides....you should check them out when hunting season approaches....they have a very interesting program!!!  And...HEY... Fifield....what are we going to do with all those HUGE fish we all caught ?????? LOLOL

Offline p13mc

• IceShanty Rookie
perch assasin Let us know what the shoreline looks like and how you do.... Plan on hitting it Friday with the fam.

Ice fish for beers and laughs with loud mouths. Fly fish for the trophies!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just drove around to White Lake, SB, Toronto and Kiamesha. Shorelines are fine on all except at in and outflows.

Gam

Offline p13mc

• IceShanty Rookie
Just drove around to White Lake, SB, Toronto and Kiamesha. Shorelines are fine on all except at in and outflows.

Gam

Thank you.
Ice fish for beers and laughs with loud mouths. Fly fish for the trophies!

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Forgot to mention....while fishing Huntington on Friday we met Fifield_Outfitters and spent the day fishing next to them.  First time I saw a Propane auger in action, and actually they drilled a bunch of holes for us, relieving a couple of Septogenarians of a laborious task.  Thanks a bunch guys !!!  Incidentally..... Fifield are Hunting Outfitters & Guides....you should check them out when hunting season approaches....they have a very interesting program!!!  And...HEY... Fifield....what are we going to do with all those HUGE fish we all caught ?????? LOLOL
Iceballs whatever you do don't and I repeat DON'T give out our gps coords to that hot spot we were on over in Huntington 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 that spot only holds little big fish 😂😂

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey Gamalot, I don’t see many posts about Kiamesha. Do you know if there is good fishing there? Just wondering?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Gamalot, I don’t see many posts about Kiamesha. Do you know if there is good fishing there? Just wondering?

I swung by there today hoping to find out some info about the lake. Only one guy fishing but out toward the middle and I did not talk with him. Years ago when the Concord was still open they used to stock trout for their fishing guests. I have lived here all of my 65 years and honestly don't know a thing about the lake. It was always private and might still be but I do see guys fishing all the time. What is in there now, how deep it is and all that info would be good to know but I don't have any contacts to get the answers from. I would bet perch, pickerel, bass, maybe crappie and maybe even trout and eyes.

Gam

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks  Gamalot, I just checked the DEC website for Sullivan county fishing. Kiamesha is listed as a lake to fish, so I would assume it is public. It just seems funny that that lake is never mentioned on this thread. It’s must be either really good and no one wants to talk about it or it’s a dead lake. I guess I won’t know unless I get off my *ss and go try it one weekend.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks  Gamalot, I just checked the DEC website for Sullivan county fishing. Kiamesha is listed as a lake to fish, so I would assume it is public. It just seems funny that that lake is never mentioned on this thread. It’s must be either really good and no one wants to talk about it or it’s a dead lake. I guess I won’t know unless I get off my *ss and go try it one weekend.

There is no public launch that I know of and no real designated parking area. I do see guys in small row boats and kayaks but all are car top size. Like I said, it was always private when the Concord was in operation but I guess now it is open for fishing. I will do some scouting there after ice out and see what I can find.

Gam

Offline perch assasin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • jig em' up
fished Huntington on Wednesday 6am to 6pm pretty slow had 2 perch and half a dozen crappie. Ice was in great shape 9 to 10 inches everywhere i drilled shoreline at the boat launch was as solid as it gets

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you everyone for the ice conditions reports glad our local ice is holding up with recent rains and warm temperatures.
Dave327 like Gamalot posted there are a couple pull offs from route 42 along Kiamesha Lake shoreline I saw a couple groups parked and fishing close to road in mid January. Always thought lake was private property and posted but have seen a few anglers accessing lake from these spots on route 42 over the years.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.