New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095866 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
For all you Anglers going to Huntington ...parking is precious up there be cognizant of that...remember your fellow angler.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Saw a post on FB saying Echo lk contest (assuming Fallsburg FD) for Saturday January 27th...I cant confirm this via any direct links ...BTW Swan lks is usually the first contest of the season.

Just heard back via FB Messanger ...NO CONTEST FALLSBURG FD ON ECHO THIS SATURDAY.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Do they allow ATVs on Huntington?

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Do they allow ATVs on Huntington?

Gam

Never seen one while there ...but it is DEC launch and a motor boat lake I believe... so I would think similar rules as White Lake ...Registered/Insured ETC

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Hardwater Diehard thank you for update on possible Fallsburg FD. contest if they have one this year might be next Saturday Feb. 3 know the different departments try to coordinate their contests so two are not held on same day.
Gamalot I would contact local DEC officers ,I've personally seen someone driving a side by side on the lake and group of local youth on ATV's not sure if it is legal to have these vehicles on the ice. .

Steve

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
My outing last Friday on Huntington ...saw a small car enter down the launch and onto the lake ...across the lake ...ran around the eastern shore some ...then through the middle of the lake ...then out the launch ...Only sunnies and some perch on that trip BTW.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
My outing last Friday on Huntington ...saw a small car enter down the launch and onto the lake ...across the lake ...ran around the eastern shore some ...then through the middle of the lake ...then out the launch ...Only sunnies and some perch on that trip BTW.

Glad you did not see this car break through the ice have to wonder what some people are thinking.

Steve

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Most likely thinking there’s more than double the amount of ice for a small car and going to go have some fun.

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Could prove to be some very expensive fun.

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Swan lake tournament can you use propane and gas augers out there or is that lake a electric only? Thinking about going to that tournament on Sunday and giving it a shot even though I've never fished it before 😁
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
For you guy's fishing Lake Huntington out of the DEC launch...as mentioned in an earlier post, it is a very small lot , so keep that in mind when parking.

But also ...make sure you have your fishing license on you while fishing. I stopped in at The Sportsmens Den yesterday and they told me about one of their customers and friend , that was checked by a certain Conservation Officer while ice fishing on a lake in Jeffersonville, which is not far down the road from Lake Huntington. The fisherman did not have his license on him, but asked the CO if he could walk to his house,( which was 500 feet away on the lake,) to get his license....the CO said "No"...and wrote him a ticket which they told me was $250 bucks. The guy's at the Sportsmens Den said they thought and hoped it would get thrown out at court...but even if it is thrown out, still a pita having to go to court.

I sometimes like to leave my wallet with fishing license in my car when going out on the ice or river....but will think twice about doing that now....especially in that area.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
The Swan lake tournament can you use propane and gas augers out there or is that lake a electric only? Thinking about going to that tournament on Sunday and giving it a shot even though I've never fished it before 😁

Yes, I have seen and used gas augers on Swan Lake.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
Just wondering guys, I hear many people mention Swan Lake throughout the season, but can't find any information on access. Is it a private lake? Is there anywhere to access it?

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
Just wondering guys, I hear many people mention Swan Lake throughout the season, but can't find any information on access. Is it a private lake? Is there anywhere to access it?

Yes its private, looking at tax map info it owned by Swan Lake commons LLC out of Mineola NY. The lake is in two sections  #1 and #2. I don't know how well its posted and patrolled as I have only fished the FD contests. Many other times I times have seen people park along Somers rd at Brisco rd and also along Shore road for access to what is called #2. 

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
From what im hearing the Swan Lake contest has been cancelled & resheduled for Febuary 25th !

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
From what im hearing the Swan Lake contest has been cancelled & resheduled for Febuary 25th !
hmm, They have posted anything on FB yet. I made a post and sent a instant message asking.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fished White lake today. Just dink perch between 7-9 AM and then it shut right off. Ice is 12 inches but no snow on top and slick as can be. I spread a line from 8 FOW out to about 40 and never even marked many fish.

How was fishing on Huntington?

Gam

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
hmm, They have posted anything on FB yet. I made a post and sent a instant message asking.
Swan Lake FD responded on FB that the contest is still on for this Sunday.

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Went out yesterday in pm, be very careful on Toronto and SWB. Toronto was making noises like I have never heard, lots of cracking and swishing , shoreline noises, then water up through cracks, some sketchy fracturing even with 10" of ice. We presumed there was a water release , but fortunately never saw the water level drop in the holes. Later that evening we got a message from a fisherman attempting to go out on SWB, skim ice then several inches of moving water then the main ice.  :o

Offline wetdreams

• Team IceShanty Regular
Loud Mouth nice Laker !

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Loud Mouth nice Laker !

Not mine... was BCShantys. I’m just wondering if it came from lake George or not.... looks like it from the background and snow

On another note.... we hit 10,000

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening everyone, BCShanty congratulations on the laker beautiful fish. Choo Choo thanks for the heads up on license did not realize fine was that high. Chaz13 going to check my map of Sullivan County to find roads you mentioned I know two pull offs on route 55 are posted private no fishing also signs along road that runs in front of former Presidents/Stevensville resort. All the best to everyone fishing swan Lake contest tomorrow.
Guessing IceBalls does not have a computer with him did anyone meet up with him and Squidboy ? IF so how was the fishing at Lake Huntington.
Rather-B-Fishin  thanks for the report on Toronto and SWB , agree there probably was a water release from Toronto.

Steve

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
We're out on swan lake today for the fireman tournament, we'll see how it goes😁
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
How was the fishing on Huntington Friday?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For you guy's fishing Lake Huntington out of the DEC launch...as mentioned in an earlier post, it is a very small lot , so keep that in mind when parking.

But also ...make sure you have your fishing license on you while fishing. I stopped in at The Sportsmens Den yesterday and they told me about one of their customers and friend , that was checked by a certain Conservation Officer while ice fishing on a lake in Jeffersonville, which is not far down the road from Lake Huntington. The fisherman did not have his license on him, but asked the CO if he could walk to his house,( which was 500 feet away on the lake,) to get his license....the CO said "No"...and wrote him a ticket which they told me was $250 bucks. The guy's at the Sportsmens Den said they thought and hoped it would get thrown out at court...but even if it is thrown out, still a pita having to go to court.

I sometimes like to leave my wallet with fishing license in my car when going out on the ice or river....but will think twice about doing that now....especially in that area.

I wonder if a picture of your license on your phone, or pulling it up on the DEC website would suffice? Still can’t imagine why he wouldn’t let him get it, although then of course you can’t leave your lines unattended if you’re using tip ups...

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
fished Harriman ices 20 5-8" yellow perch noggin lakes are closed again  (shocker)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wonder if a picture of your license on your phone, or pulling it up on the DEC website would suffice? Still can’t imagine why he wouldn’t let him get it, although then of course you can’t leave your lines unattended if you’re using tip ups...

I do think it was/is rather petty of the officer but in his defense the law does say the license must be on you person or in your possession while actively fishing. There are a lot of quirk laws and rules and it makes absolutely no sense at all to not just follow them so this stuff does not happen. I was approached by the same ECO three different days while on the ice and each day he asked to see my license. The first day he actually checked it but after that all he wanted to see is I had it with me. Ask yourself how you will make out if the Sheriff or SP stop and ask for your drivers license, registration and insurance ID card in your car. If you can't prove on the spot that your car is insured and registered they have every right to tow it away at your expense.

Gam

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
I keep my license wrapped and rubber banded to the handle of my flasher. Not fishing without that. Dec has walked by with just a wave and went on to check others licenses. Must have seen the yellow in plain view.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.