New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095793 times)

Offline Iceman23kids

• IceShanty Rookie
Nice rainbow! How thick was the ice?
thanks and 4" - 10" Wasn't consistent but solid.

Offline Lightsimage

• IceShanty Rookie
I have seen 10-15 guys using drills on the reservoirs over the past 4-5 years.
As have I.
Regardless, the use is still not permitted.
Read the regs.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
looking for another fish marker for my fiance any one have an extra one or old one laying around there looking to get rid of

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wanted to head up to Lake Gleneida this week.  Its about an hour away from me, does anyone know if it has safe ice?

I fished Glenida lake Sunday I had 6-9in of ice on the south end there was still some open water in the north end
Go big or go home

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
few fish from this past weekend

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gonna be fishing out on superior tomorrow morning if anyone wants to meet up

Offline BigIceholes

• IceShanty Rookie
I’m looking to join a Bass Fishing club in Either Rockland or Orange counties does anyone know of any ?  I may have two or three more people who also would like to join.
Fish More Stress Less

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Has anyone fished East Branch/Sodom Reservoir in Putnam County for walleye?
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Superior this morning for about 5 hours, had a bunch of pickerel on flags. Perch jigging was slow, fish were super finicky and didn't want to bite. Also checked by DEC, the officer was super nice and friendly. Decided to switch it up a bit and hit another lake in the afternoon. Had a bunch of bass on tipups and hammered some giant perch.

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can you use a propane auger on Superior or does it have to be a hand auger or electric auger?
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline Tyler1991

• IceShanty Rookie
What's up guys, anyone hit Upton yet?

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can you use a propane auger on Superior or does it have to be a hand auger or electric auger?

The lake is electric only for boating and I personally use electric/hand augers, but I've seen many guys use gas/propane without a problem. Not sure what the DEC would say though I'm sure they wouldn't give you a hard time.

Offline LilWeez

• IceShanty Rookie
Has anyone ever fished Winding Hills Park? And do they charge you to get on to ice fish?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Has anyone ever fished Winding Hills Park? And do they charge you to get on to ice fish?

Contact the Ranger station as they wont let you fish if the ice isn't thick enough

http://www.orangecountynyparks.com/winding-hills-park/

http://www.orangecountynyparks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Winding_Hills_trail_Map.pdf
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
LilWeez I fished at winding Hills park over the years lots of smaller yellow perch,blue gills and largemouth bass. As Hardwater diehard posted you best to call ranger's office before heading to the park like Harriman-Sterling forest state park the main lake is only open for ice fishing after a certain number of inches of ice. if it has not changed below is number for ranger station. If you live close to the park they also have a sign by entrance stating ice conditions. Only the main /largest lake is open for fishing in Winter one by entrance is off limits along with small lake/pond by picnic-play area past ranger station.

(845)-457-4918

Your closest bait shops are thruway sporting goods in Walden and tom's Bait Shop on Prosperous Valley Rd. in Fair Oaks (between Bloomingburg and Middletown 0 Number for Tom's
  (845)-733-4642

Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
We fished White Lake today. There was a couple different groups when we arrived on the ice out of the NYS boat launch area.
I drilled the holes for the tip-ups and our jigging holes. We put out 10 tip-ups. As I looked around it seemed very slow for everyone around us. One group left an hr after we arrived and than about an hr later the other group left by us, leaving just us and another guy.
We had a bunch of flags fly but to no hook sets on the other end. Changed up a little on the tip-ups and started hooking up with some decent looking pickerel.
The other guy fishing by us came over and said it was extremely slow today as he bounced around and told us he managed 3 fish .
All and all we had fun and the venison bacon cheeseburgers I cooked for lunch out there hit the spot!
The ice was a foot where we were drilling.
We'll be back out there Saturday 👍🏻
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
FYI-  West Branch Reservoir is closed to ice fishing in Carmel.   They are dropping water levels due to repairs of the Catskills Aqueduct. 

Offline morganycfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone know how thick the ice is in the Carmel area? looking to fish this weekend

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Has anyone spent anytime fishing Loch Sheldrake?
I have spent a decent amount of time there the past 3 winters and find it to be a pretty frustrating lake, but DEC regs offer a decent opportunity. I am not one to blow up someone's secret spots so pm me if you would care to reply about your experience on that lake.
Was there this evening from 4 until 10 and not one fish! It was great fishing in the mild temps , but the ice melted quite a bit during the time I was out there. It turned from glass to a inch of water slush fest! Seems like it is filled with baitfish like most of our local lakes.
Careful with this weekend around inlets!

Offline BGIII

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bill Gallagher
Anyone know how thick the ice is in the Carmel area? looking to fish this weekend

Depending on where you go it ranges anywhere from 6-10 inches, as Egriffin70 said they are dropping West Branch so that’s out but they had about 6 on the main part of the reservoir and even more in the other side of the causeway. But guys have been out on glenida as well. East Branch/Sodom has had good ice in Brewster but idk how much there is now with all this warm weather and heavy rain
It’s butt cold out here and I’m fresh out of beer

Offline mikeyfishny

• IceShanty Rookie
As of last night the back side of east branch/sodom had 11 inches.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Harriman closed there lake this morning till Tuesday they said

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Harriman closed there lake this morning till Tuesday they said

Shocker!!!
Good to know, thanks.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Heading out tomorrow to one of my private ponds to chase some jumbos.... supposed to have a 30* temp drop in the next 15 hours

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
heading to Walton lake tomorrow hopefully ice is still good at edges who else goin to try there luck tomorrow I'm orange county?

Offline Mikey Ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Harriman is a god dam joke
They just don't wanna be bothered working the winter months
The ice had 12 solid inches yesterday
One warm day and it's closed
Just a disgrace there entire park staff is a joke

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
yea that's Harriman for ya if the tourist would stop swimming in the lake they ain't supposed to be swimming in during the summer and drowning they wouldn't be so anal about safe ice used to be 4" is safe ice now it's 6" in both Harriman and Sterling....anyone herd about Sterling yet did they close ice also?

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular

WOW can’t believe this thread left the front page.
Any how is anyone going out today. How much damage was done to the ice thickness?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I went to bed last night at 10 and it was 57 degrees. I woke up at 6 and it was 27 and now at 8 AM it is 18 with wild winds and blowing snow. I doubt the ice here in Sullivan county took much of a hit at all but today would be a lousy day to go check. I hate windy days on the ice and I was out checking on Thursday and found 12 inches of black ice with some water and a little snow on top but glare ice in many places. If the rain on Friday melted the top then the snow and blowing cold today will re freeze it and make for great ice skating tomorrow. Any brave souls who are out today better have good ice anchors.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.