New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095890 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hey Gammy,
     Hope that Snodog is heavy enough to get traction pulling your heavy loads.
Would sack if it just sat there and spun!

Do snowmobiles work on the ice? The snow dog is basically just a snowmobile without the steering skis. If I had to I could certainly stud the track but given the ice conditions we get here most there will always be plenty of snow on it to make it go just fine.

Thank you Diehard for posting the links, will check them out early tomorrow morning when the data is free.

Gam
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Do snowmobiles work on the ice? The snow dog is basically just a snowmobile without the steering skis. If I had to I could certainly stud the track but given the ice conditions we get here most there will always be plenty of snow on it to make it go just fine.

Thank you Diehard for posting the links, will check them out early tomorrow morning when the data is free.

Gam

I am not certain you need studs for our area but maybe some ice scratchers similar to snowmobiles to wet the hyfax sliders...

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular

Gam
Basically a snowmobile, except:
Much lighter and no weight of the rider right on top of the track.
It is the snow I'm concerned about. You know how hard it is pulling your sled in the snow, imagine putting an adult on it also and try to drag it all.
I hope it can handle that task.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Snowmobiles work fine with or without snow on the ice. I've used a snowmobile for years and never had any issues if snow or no snow on the ice. Granted it is better to have snow on the ice lol

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes loudmouth, snowmobiles do fine. My concerns are with the
"Sno-Dog."  Track-tor pulling machine. Gabalot has photos above.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes loudmouth, snowmobiles do fine. My concerns are with the
"Sno-Dog."  Track-tor pulling machine. Gabalot has photos above.

OKAY JIGGYJERK, You have *****ized my forum name just about enough! It is Gamalot which stands for Gary, Mary and the first 3 letters of my last name. Get it right or forget I exist because I won't play this silly game with you.

Gam

Offline Slabs247

• IceShanty Rookie
Sullivan was 3" solid ice on smaller lakes. Proceed with caution.  I heard superior was around 2.5". And sketchy. White lake had some open water spots as well as Toronto.  Next weekend should be good!  Sticking to the smaller ponds for now.  Tight lines

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Thank you Hardwater Diehard for posting You Tube link to Fish 307 2017 ice fishing open house seminar on walleyes. If today's rain does not local lakes to badly we should be in good shape next weekend single digit low temperatures forecasted for next Thursday and Friday .
Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you Hardwater Diehard for posting You Tube link to Fish 307 2017 ice fishing open house seminar on walleyes. If today's rain does not local lakes to badly we should be in good shape next weekend single digit low temperatures forecasted for next Thursday and Friday .
Steve

For those who know my area, Crane pond is at the corner of Oakland Valley and Cold Spring roads here in Forestburgh. It is a private lake so I can't go on and check the ice thickness but even after this warm weather it still looks like it is setting up fine in spite of the rain. My main concern is we are not now dealing with Black Ice and instead we have ice mixed with melted snow on top which is not nearly as strong as the solid black ice. Just be careful and check as you go. Often this time of year we have a hard crust on top and then slush below it sitting on the first layer of black ice. I hate fishing in that garbage and worry all the while I am out on it.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Steve

I think I can hit my regular first ice spot Wednesday or Thursday ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think I can hit my regular first ice spot Wednesday or Thursday ...
[/quote/]

I always wanted to ask. Can the people living on Lake Louise Marie ice fish the lake? I don't see any such activity but I do know the lake has some very nice fish.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I believe its catch and release on all those lakes ...I knew some one that's fished it years ago ..believe its loaded with perch but nothing of any size if I recall correctly .A friend of mine maybe moving into that area over the ice season so I may have an opportunity to fish it this season .

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I believe its catch and release on all those lakes ...I knew some one that's fished it years ago ..believe its loaded with perch but nothing of any size if I recall correctly .A friend of mine maybe moving into that area over the ice season so I may have an opportunity to fish it this season .
I grew up with the original owners of the Dodge Inn back in the early 1960s. The biggest pickerel I ever caught was right across the street from the restaurant and just under 30 inches. Good LM Bass to back then.

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well 3-5 inches of the white stuff fell overnight ...got word that there is 4 inches on my usual first ice spot which normally freezes first ..the shore lines were a little week I was told ...I am sure further north in Sullivan county smaller bodies of water will follow suit soon.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well 3-5 inches of the white stuff fell overnight ...got word that there is 4 inches on my usual first ice spot which normally freezes first ..the shore lines were a little week I was told ...I am sure further north in Sullivan county smaller bodies of water will follow suit soon.

My own personal comfort zone on the ice is 6 inches. Based on the upcoming predictions of single digit temps all week long I think the start for me will be this coming weekend. Some waters that have a current or stream flow going through them could still remain a bit iffy in spots. SB tends to be a bit scary at times like this because there is a flow and a few spots to be careful around. Some other lakes have natural springs or small streams flowing into them so be careful around these spots. Looking out in my yard right now there is no way I would be fishing today even with a foot of black ice. Snow is still coming down and the wind is howling creating white outs every few minutes. The snow we got here is medium dense with some moisture and good for the kids to make snowmen. I will get all my gear out of the shed and ready tomorrow. Let the fun begin!

Gam

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
how's the ice on lake superior in Sullivan or any lakes near there looking to dust the dust of the rods tomorrow hopefully there's ice

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
give it a day or 2...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll be out somewhere tomorrow in Sullivan, will report back.

Offline applepicker

• IceShanty Rookie
Hi, I was out on a lake in Sullivan yesterday, it had 5-6 inches of solid ice- 10 people fishing on it.

On two other lakes(Superior and Swan), the ice seemed to be ok, except for the ice from shore to about 10 feet out, which was probably <3 inch:).

Be careful!!! Exercise extreme caution!

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi, I was out on a lake in Sullivan yesterday, it had 5-6 inches of solid ice- 10 people fishing on it.

On two other lakes, the ice seemed to be ok, except for the ice 10 feet off of the shoreline, which was probably <1

what lake if you don't mind me asking it's over and hour drive for me trying to find safe ice before loading up and taking the hike

Offline applepicker

• IceShanty Rookie
Morningside Lake... Watch out, the shorelines are very bad!!

I would wait a bit until your local area is frozen.

Offline kbaez

• Team IceShanty Regular
fished alot at superior last year and thanks

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
Finally safe on my small Sullivan lake --- 5 inches everywhere.
Slow day tho', a few medium pickerel, LM bass, gills and only one keeper perch. Jigged only, and broke a tip of a pole (sat on it!) - that sucks...
The wind sucked too but it felt good to get out.
I'm not surprised to hear of unsafe conditions existing still in Sullivan, the wind has been brutal.

Be safe!

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone been out on white lake? We're looking to test out our new equipment 😁. I've never ice fished white lake but caught a pile of perch in there this spring. Looking to get into some eyes as well this winter. Was hoping to hit it up next weekend😁
May your tip up flags fly high!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am going to do some drilling/checking tomorrow. SB and White for sure. We certainly are building ice all this week with night time temps in the low single digits and day time not above 15 degrees. I am an admitted wuss and don't go until I see a real 6 inches but I fully expect that and more by this weekend.
Diehards are out there already so the final decision will be up to you and dependent upon your own comfort levels. I do think it hard to imagine things won't lock up nice after all of this week. I was out in 19 degrees all day today just 4 miles from SB at home and it is 14 now at 8 PM and going down to low single digits by the morning.

You ask how cold is it. Well, I had a tiny stone chip in my windshield all summer long, turned on the defroster this morning while warming up the 4 Runner and the windshield now has a crack from side to side all the way across the bottom.

Gam

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ya I also like 6 inches when I start going hard into this thing we call hard water fishing.
Just got a jiffy pro propane auger and am very eager to try it out .
Thanks for the info bud 👍🏻

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Ya I also like 6 inches when I start going hard into this thing we call hard water fishing.
Just got a jiffy pro propane auger and am very eager to try it out .
Thanks for the info bud 👍🏻

Fifield_Outfitters  should add your location to your profile ...White Lake tends to take later/longer to freeze ..with the winds we have had and as deep as it is I suspect its a little early ...my first ice location just got 5 inches and its the first to freeze in general ...granted this bitter cold is unusually early and looks to last a week and possible more...so be patient ..the first week of January is usually the Sullivan county kick off

Offline Fifield_Outf

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just updated my info 😁. We've done a lot of fishing on there and done well , just eager to ice fish it and see if a few of the spots I mark will produce 🎣
Do you have good luck catching eyes on there?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I just updated my info 😁. We've done a lot of fishing on there and done well , just eager to ice fish it and see if a few of the spots I mark will produce 🎣
Do you have good luck catching eyes on there?

Was known by my group as the Dead Sea..But was when we open water fished it ...long time ago ...my understanding is that the SCCC has been stocking walleyes in there for quite some time...KotI tournament has displayed some winning walleyes in recent years. I hope to spend some time up there soon chasing eyes. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.