New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095825 times)

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ok can someone give a report on the ice in the Forestburgh  area . Is it over we are going to our hunting camp for the weekend .
Good weekend for small game, or hitting the river.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Any one ever fish the bashakill?

Offline kevin3686

• IceShanty Rookie
Any one ever fish the bashakill?
.    fish it often lots of bass and bowfin big crappies if you can find them

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Saw a few guys out on Kaneaunga Lake side of white Lake. Today 11:30

Offline kevin3686

• IceShanty Rookie
Awefully warm out their brave souls for a few fish

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Some people just like to risk it for a biscuit....

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Welcome to shanty Kevin3686

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I've got to question this weather ..never in my life experienced the 70 temps in February so those on the know appreciate some logical replies.. I'm done ice fishing anywhere ..my thoughts now it is the sun not manmade bs

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I remember as a kid having warm temps for a week and  in the 60's for a day or two. But the ice was two feet thick with a lot more snow cover. You just fished in t-shirts.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's all about the Jet Stream! If you watch the national weather map and see winds coming from the west and other winds from the south coming north then we get stupid weather here. I won't be a bit surprised to see a few more feet of snow this winter but I do believe the ice season is just about over for this year.

There was one guy out on Toronto on the dam side today and a couple guys on the K side of White today. We fished 12 inches of ice at BP on Monday but bring your rubbers if you go there and not to mention fishing has been real slow these past 2 weeks. Small ponds is your best bet this time of this year. I would never trust a place like SWB with the river going through it running pretty steady and one spot could have safe ice and the next could be deadly. I am having a nice Haddock dinner from the grocery store right now.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Thanks to EnCon

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/109325.html

On Feb. 11, ECO Tom Koepf checked the licenses of ice fishermen on Swinging Bridge Reservoir in the town of Thompson. There were several dozen people on the ice that day, and most were in compliance with state fishing regulations. The final group of fisherman that ECO Koepf spoke to were two men from New Jersey. Both men stated that they had not caught any fish that day. However, during a check of all of their gear, ECO Koepf located a five-gallon pail containing a legal-sized Black Crappie and a large Bass. Because Bass season was closed, ECO Koepf inquired why they had kept it. One of the fisherman stated that he was having a slow day, and "Wasn't only going to filet one Crappie." He was issued a ticket for taking bass during the closed season, returnable to the Town of Thompson Court.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
That's the same ECO officer we saw a couple of times at Superior, a really decent guy.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
I was on SWB that day and watched him walk off the ice with a bucket--thought it was for illegal minnows.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I can't stand pouchers.good they get fined..i remember watching foreigners many times speaking their own language, can't say all are from russia but yeah they too need to be checked most guarteed they don't know or care to follow regs judging by what size fish they keep.. they keep any species and size! ..anyway agree SWB certainly not safe these days. i rather buy fresh fillets too at the fish market! lol.. i still have three nice 8 fillets per ziplock frozen crappies too. they are best fresh but i will slowly defrost a bag of eight fillets  good for three people diner..i do pretty incredible fish fry with tarter..any way yeah this weather cracks me up.. watching  accuweather channel cause Verizon fios network don't work with the weather channel.. man they all smile even laugh about this weather,,phoney baloney goofy smiling meteorologists probably know something we don't! 

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I know a local guy who had permission to fish this incredible private panfish pond. I mean the perch and crappie he pulled out was amazing. All the owner asked is he keep no bass ever. Wouldn't you know he kept  a bass during ice fishing no less and lost one of the best things he ever had. The people who complain most about D.E.C.  are usually the lawbreakers.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
It's is over can't imagine  safe ice...get your open water gear ready !

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
I'm getting my yak ready for the Striper run and the crappie spawn.     I've got one last run up to Schroon, but after that it's all soft water....
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Lastly, just wondering if and how if there is a setting on this site/thread to get direct latest replies..it bugs me to see the first(poolie host) every friggin time having to enter this thread..I think it very annoying  for what it is..some brachshot of  a bikini b***h who ishas nothing to do with ice fishing.. I ll combat this intrusive platform.. Makes little difference to me..I simply find it a hassle on a smart phone to say the least!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Now there were a lot of hooks out but some nice fish caught at King of the Ice. Winner was a 9 plus eye

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I mean on my molbile smart phone, I honestly get directed to the first post bs about poolie and that titty sand beach gal from decades ago..is she still as hot or is this just the way it will be have to be because of tos policies and such? ??? ::)so i'm watching DAYTONA today..was this chick a racer idol or what?..can't understand what that photo has to do with ice fishing generally speaking..maybe poolie is this gal in the picture..how the bs do i know.. she still racing?.. funny these race sports..they go forty laps like waiting for a piecec of imported chineses rubber or part of some sort to fail..and bang crash shovel the poor idiot off the race track! @) i mean what's it all about?..lol anyway probably dinks last post..hoping to access  next season if we ever get an ice season ! lol oh man..crazy weather mercury in the fish i ate..maybe both ::)

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm getting my yak ready for the Striper run and the crappie spawn.     I've got one last run up to Schroon, but after that it's all soft water....
be safe kb, wish to meet you someday, you were always a cool participant here on this southern ny thread. I always get moody and booted last ice! lol

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Lastly, just wondering if and how if there is a setting on this site/thread to get direct latest replies..it bugs me to see the first(poolie host) every friggin time having to enter this thread..I think it very annoying  for what it is..some brachshot of  a bikini b***h who ishas nothing to do with ice fishing.. I ll combat this intrusive platform.. Makes little difference to me..I simply find it a hassle on a smart phone to say the least!

I never have an issue going straight to the most recent post on the thread on my computer or when on my iPhone

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Now there were a lot of hooks out but some nice fish caught at King of the Ice. Winner was a 9 plus eye
since when is/was walleye in white lk? i' know as Gamolot will atest they are in toronto swb and links below,,(possiblt mongaup falls and rio) definitely in the delaware below them outlets but never bother fishing that boudler infested riffraff below rio res. if they did stock it, i have no account looking at the dec site. must be a secret stocking program?

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I never have an issue going straight to the most recent post on the thread on my computer or when on my iPhone
i said it is no big deal but on my mobile phone..i got to cursor in to get to last post because pooley keeps appearing first like a broken record.. on my desktop i can get by that but the mobile device i have to expand and tap little numbers to get latest replies /posts.. shouldn't have to be set up that way.I tried figuring out all option settings.. mobile you get directed to the 1st pooleys bs post..just saying, i can deal with it but it is stupid having to do so.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
since when is/was walleye in white lk? i' know as Gamolot will atest they are in toronto swb and links below,,(possiblt mongaup falls and rio) definitely in the delaware below them outlets but never bother fishing that boudler infested riffraff below rio res. if they did stock it, i have no account looking at the dec site. must be a secret stocking program?

SCCC has been doing it for a while it seems...I recently found out myself

https://www.facebook.com/SullivanCounty.ConservationClub/photos/a.408423869183796.113981.199827536710098/1605245819501589/?type=3&theater
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Well I suppose than those conservation surveys checks on swinging bridge were for real after all? I was appraoched last couple seasons and gave them conservationists my input..and their concern was as I explained here that walleyes weren't doing as good..very rare to catch juveniles... after they drained swb..i caught a few but since that time on..it was big eyes or no eyes and that declined big time last three seasons..i fish it well enough to know the drop in eyes.. any these lks need to have hatchery fish because of alewives natural wildlife and human predation. That is key to promoting "I LOVE NEW YORK" .. keep the fishing ,keep the happy tourists otherwisewhat good are regulations for fish management.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
ice is going to break lots of docks ice out..the swb levels are much higher levels early season until the summer droughts. they renovated the spill gates after reparation to dam..in my opinion it has proved beneficial for the abundant  crappies ..higher flood water to shoreline sustains baitfish and tree line cover for yearlings. Before the higher levels there was hardly as much shoreline cover for the small juveniles. I just hope to see a few small walleye on hook too off the boat this season.. ice season they were nowhere to be found.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I know this will bug some but I think nys should end pheasant stocking and and use the money towards something like walleye that will last.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't claim to know all the connections between the lakes here in Sullivan county but most of these lakes and reservoirs are connected in one way or another. White lake for instance flows into SWB by way of what I believe is a few small brooks and I also think one flows into Black lake and onward into Toronto. From Toronto the Black lake creek flows into Cliff lake which is connected to SWB and SWB is the Mongaup river which is also Mongaup Falls and the Rio reservoirs. Walleyes can't swim up these rivers from the Delaware but they sure can swim down to all of them from White lake and Toronto and possibly up into Superior.

Well over 50 years ago as a kid my uncle worked for O&R and he had access to all of these lakes as one of their executives. Cliff, Lebanon and Hull Pond were strictly off limits to the public but the execs wanted their own fishing preserves and did a lot of stocking on their own. Hull pond back in the early 1960s had monster eyes in it and not too many people ever knew it.

I do not have any luck targeting the walleyes in any of these lakes but I have seen them come out of every one I mentioned. They do come up the Mongaup from the Delaware to the Rio dam but that is as far as they can get. Eyes in the reservoirs above the Rio dam sure can make their way down to the Delaware river. Loch Sheldrake lake has eyes in it so it is very possible any lakes just below it could also have small populations in them if the conditions will support these fish. We used to have some mighty fine trout fishing in all of these waters but I do believe the DEC is moving away from the migratory trouts and into the walleye stocking because I think they are an easier fish for the hatcheries to rear. Back as a kid I saw many very large Browns come out of the Mongaup and all the reservoirs attached and they are still there but not like back in the 60s. I still target the big trout in the early season in SWB and the Rio and every now and then I do get a good one in the 10+ pound class. I also lost a real monster eye last spring right at the net in the Rio so I know they are in there but I just never have caught one YET. I mostly just troll these lakes for the trout but for the eyes you have to target the structure and they tend to be more active at night. Time will tell if the stocking done by the DEC will produce a decent fishery but when you see 7, 8 and 9 pound fish from places like White and SWB it could be a good sign if those breeder size fish can in fact naturally spawn.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well looks like the season is winded down and now it time to start think trout ,turkey and trailing .

got to remove some add ons from my ATV ..which has served me well this season as well as past season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.