New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095924 times)

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Hello loudmouth    I fished Saratoga lake last weekend ...no walleyes for me, there was a tournament on the south end of the lake where the wife & I were staying ...I got in, a good cause ... at the weigh somebody said there was a 26" walleye caught . I never saw the fish ... I had my wheeler & there were machines all over south end ... Ice was about 8" thick... :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I'm fishing toga tomorrow.... heard theres 7" on there but sacadaga and schroon are both 10-16"
Thats what I figure. In a couple of weeks I may have to go a little further north.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Planning on hitting Toronto all day tomorrow from the dam access that Gamalot was kind enough to tell us about...will be a first there in a few years...any advice...going after the ever elusive eyes ! Thanks

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Let me know if you find them!

I have fished there a few times off the launch to the left out off the big boulders. Did OK on the perch but still no eyes for us. We will be there Saturday.

Good luck and join us if you can.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
A couple of weeks ago did alright with big perch across from dam launch in 50-60' it then comes up to 20' just before that opposite shore. Most were on tip ups also jigged up a few large smallmouths.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
I typically used to hike in off of moscoe Rd and search for fish...I have been looking forward to use the marcum and scan thathe bog basin for fish for years!... would appreciate any die hard company...love fishing alone because I usually cover territory but would appreciate the company of a fellow hard water nutcase....always funny seeing the reaction when responding to coworkers that ask what you're doing for the weekend...anyway will be out  tomorrow scanning jigging and maybe 6 tipups...Gamalot thanks for the invite...going to be a good husband and take my wife on a snowshoe adventure...I suggested I fishing and she said yeah we're married now I don't think so!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I typically used to hike in off of moscoe Rd and search for fish...I have been looking forward to use the marcum and scan thathe bog basin for fish for years!... would appreciate any die hard company...love fishing alone because I usually cover territory but would appreciate the company of a fellow hard water nutcase....always funny seeing the reaction when responding to coworkers that ask what you're doing for the weekend...anyway will be out  tomorrow scanning jigging and maybe 6 tipups...Gamalot thanks for the invite...going to be a good husband and take my wife on a snowshoe adventure...I suggested I fishing and she said yeah we're married now I don't think so!

Must be relatively new married! After 30 years if I say I want to fish on Saturday she says, "I'll help you pack". I'm pretty much free to roam Monday - Saturday.

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
hey what dam are you guys talking about at Toronto the 1 at the end of moscoe road? the hydro electric dam? or the other side of the lafe from pine grove road turning on to chapin trail? heading to toronto tomorrow as well..

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Hello loudmouth    I fished Saratoga lake last weekend ...no walleyes for me, there was a tournament on the south end of the lake where the wife & I were staying ...I got in, a good cause ... at the weigh somebody said there was a 26" walleye caught . I never saw the fish ... I had my wheeler & there were machines all over south end ... Ice was about 8" thick... :icefish:

yea there has been a couple nice eyes i've heard come out of there I haven't landed one yet but had em on the flasher and camera just couldn't get em to commit the one on cam was at least 20"

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
Planning on hitting Toronto all day tomorrow from the dam access that Gamalot was kind enough to tell us about...will be a first there in a few years...any advice...going after the ever elusive eyes ! Thanks
THERE IS A SECTION OF OPEN WATER  that grew a few hundred yards yesterday while I was fishing there.

good smallie action and 1 slob perch...
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Boss j...as they say in the movie Christmas story....FUDGE!...Jason p little early to call you...I am sure we will see one another there...I have grey tundra with browntrout sticker on tailgate and I will be pulling a 1 man sentinel most likely left of access pending this open water,hope to meet up there...gamalot you are welcome to join us....ironically I put off a trip to Lake George this weekend because of the open water and sketchy ice that is going on up there...sounds like it is not safe unless you know the lake and mainly stick in the bays

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Let me know how you guys do at Toronto, thinking about giving it a shot tomorrow if the action at SWB is slow, thanks

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Prolly hit SWB tomorrow at day break. Then Swan lake on Sun. Boy good to know about Toronto. Wouldn't expect that with the temps we had this week.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks Boss j...as they say in the movie Christmas story....FUDGE!...Jason p little early to call you...I am sure we will see one another there...I have grey tundra with browntrout sticker on tailgate and I will be pulling a 1 man sentinel most likely left of access pending this open water,hope to meet up there...gamalot you are welcome to join us....ironically I put off a trip to Lake George this weekend because of the open water and sketchy ice that is going on up there...sounds like it is not safe unless you know the lake and mainly stick in the bays

I saw what looked like open water across the lake on the Moscoe road side last week from the Pinegrove road access point. The wind was blowing about 50 MPH so it was hard to tell if it wasn't just a mirage. I have never trusted that side with the in flow from the stream. I also think the water on the west side is much shallower and the land warms there much faster. The Pinegrove side drag back up to the car is a heart attack in the making unless you have a motor doing the pulling. The temps this coming week could spell the end in a lot of places unless we get an arctic blast pretty quick.

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
Are you guys saying there is open water on the dam side of Toronto?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Are you guys saying there is open water on the dam side of Toronto?

Try to follow here Chaz. I know of 2 public access points on to Toronto. One is on the west side off Rt.55 and Moscoe road. The other is on the east side off Pinegrove road and by the dam. To be honest I don't know if there could be a second dam on the lake. I was on the east side by the dam this week when it was blowing hard. The ice was fine there but looking across the lake to the far west side where Moscoe road is it appeared to be open water. Keep in mind, it was near white out conditions when I was there with 50 MPH winds so I don't honestly know what I saw through it, could have been just clear ice with no snow at all on it. I did not get out of my truck but the ice by the dam looked just fine to me from on top of the boat ramp.

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks got it. The Moscow road side access has been open for most of the seaon if not all so far.
There is only 1 dam on the east side via Pine Grove road, top ridge trail aka town road 62. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks got it. The Moscow road side access has been open for most of the seaon if not all so far.
There is only 1 dam on the east side via Pine Grove road, top ridge trail aka town road 62.

OK, I have pals there right now and will be there tomorrow with them. The west side is open water so it won't be long before we are in boats.

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
How much snow is on the ice?? SWB or Superior? thanks

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
is anyone catching any fish? or nobody want to go through the hassle of posting any pics?
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
is anyone catching any fish? or nobody want to go through the hassle of posting any pics?

I bet that they are on an amazing bite and just trying to keep it on the down low  ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My pals who fished today got skunked. We are going again tomorrow to the same spot mentioned above. I have to wonder something. So, the west end of the lake is open water and there is 8 inches of ice on the east end by the dam. Could it be the fish are over in the open water section for either some  sun, warmer water or is that where the bait might be? Might be that time of year to get the kayaks out and fish the open end.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
photobucket can be a pain sometimes for some computers
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline JasonP718

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey, met with Rather be fishing on Toronto today. We covered a good amount of ground together with both jigging and tip ups, 2 Smallmouth, a nice large perch, some dink perch and dink Bluegills... Not much to report.... lots of people on the ice. Big big gap in the middle that only grew larger while we were there. I would highly doubt with tomorrows pending warmth that Toronto would be safe. However with that being said if the launch is safe, going to the left from the launch ice was 8 inches and higher in some spots. Beware though we did hit a few spots that had good ice, but the first few inches were soft, slushy ice.
Whether on fresh ice or ice that has been on a lake for weeks, always be careful, never know what couldve happened.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good luck to Gamalot if you go out..beware of the inconsistencies in ice thickness there today...especially as that  sun warms it up!...Jason and I found an odd current in the lake and that too was very inconsistent,the strongest was just off the access ramp . Wish the bite was on last night we stayed and tried to target willing fish until 7:00 .Have a good day and be careful

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Out on SWB  ant seem to sniff a bite. Thinking about moving to white lake. Anyone catching anything on SWB?

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
was out on Sodom. tons of guys out there. didn't see anyone jumping for joy. only got 1 perch. edges are getting soft
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Good luck to Gamalot if you go out..beware of the inconsistencies in ice thickness there today...especially as that  sun warms it up!...Jason and I found an odd current in the lake and that too was very inconsistent,the strongest was just off the access ramp . Wish the bite was on last night we stayed and tried to target willing fish until 7:00 .Have a good day and be careful

Just got back home. 16 degrees there this morning at 7 AM but nearing 45 when we left at 1 PM. Fished to the left toward the dam and nothing but a smallie. Fish have lock jaw at this point. Ice was 8-10 inches in every hole we drilled there but open water on the far west shore.

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
I couldn't do today hoping tomorrow  at swb if I can wing it..if I do go I'll be jigging moving.I do better tipups are a waste of time IMHO..just keep moving till you locate..in the last few outings caught more keeper fish by just going light and moving to locate hotspots

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit SWB this morning from 9am - 2:30pm. Fishing was pretty slow, marked a decent amount of crappie, just hard getting them to bite. Hooked 4 fish, lost 1, and iced 3 nice ones. The blue bird skies certainly didn't help with the fishing :(. By the time I was leaving, there was water and slush on top of the ice in many spots. Shorelines by the launch were still fine. Seems like the season is ending for me, had a great season, and I certainly look forward to the next one. Good luck to anyone who is going out tomorrow.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.