New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095792 times)

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
You guys are killing me.   We have no safe ice here in Dutchess.   I'm living vicariously through you all!!!

Lol

If I can drive 2.5 hours to ice fish, surely you can drive 1.5 hours... haha  ;D

Offline Dave327

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey NYBASSER you coming back to SWB tomorrow? It's only another 5 hour round trip. ;D ;D ;D

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Good for you Basser!  I had a day where  right at dark I got into a trout on my jigging rod and had a tip up. iced a 24incher. I ran for tip up and had 20 incher......... That was a few years ago. Today I had a 12 inch pickeral.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey NYBASSER you coming back to SWB tomorrow? It's only another 5 hour round trip. ;D ;D ;D

Wished I lived closer lol, those 2.5 hour drives are a real pain. I spend more time driving than fishing lol. I'll be out next Sunday on SWB again, dark blue Shappell shanty, stop by and say hello if you're out.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
 Next weekend, I'm definitely going to make the trip. If anybody would like to meet up I would really appreciate it. I know nothing about it but we could make it work   

Just tell me where to meet up, and I'll be there   
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good for you Basser!  I had a day where  right at dark I got into a trout on my jigging rod and had a tip up. iced a 24incher. I ran for tip up and had 20 incher......... That was a few years ago. Today I had a 12 inch pickeral.

Thanks! If you are looking to hit SWB anytime soon, I can give you a few pointers for help. That goes for anyone on the forum here as well. Send me a PM and I can give out a few pointers.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Next weekend, I'm definitely going to make the trip. If anybody would like to meet up I would really appreciate it. I know nothing about it but we could make it work   

Just tell me where to meet up, and I'll be there

Talking with a couple friends about a trip next Sunday. Supposed to be 45 deg with little wind, going to be nice and warm. The boat launch parking lot would be a good place to meet, time TBD.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
My son and I might try Tuesday. I always let him pick. I have a feeling it might be slow going with a five year old. Hopefully I can talk him into Swan lake. Sun. sounds good if I can I'm there.

Offline Travis Rage

• IceShanty Rookie
Awesome man way to go. Trying tomorrow before and during the storm!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Your a brave soul if you made it out Travis. Been snowing here in Sullivan co. since 6:30. Good luck and drive safe if you made it.

Offline dwitte62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody been on White Lake recently ?

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Saw a few guy's on the state launch (Kauneonga) side yesterday afternoon....no one was on the 17b White lake side when I went by.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishon723

• IceShanty Rookie
Anybody been on White Lake recently ?
Fished White Lake yesterday and caught some nice keeper perch and one keeper pickerel. Moved around a bit to find fish. caught them jigging and on tip ups.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished private lake in Livingston Manor on Saturday.....21 slime darts on the ice between me and my son...5 keepers 17-20"......I got a 5# bass and my Son got a 6#  22inch LM.....awesome fish......dont know how to add pics or i would....1 small perch......

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
Did anyone fish the tournament on mornngside on Saturday? Just curious how it was. Thanks

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
NYBasser thank you for posting a photo congratulations on your catch. Hardwater diehard thanks for the update on Monticello FD contest. Ditto Dougie's post curious myself about this years Hurleyville FD contest.
Steve

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone get out Sunday am?...1 of my most memorable trips was just as the barometric pressure dropped right before a storm chased me off a lake that has usually very tight mouthed trout...not that morning, landed quite a few jigging they would slam the lure no finicky bite.
Gamalot how is the snow depth on the lakes? We got 12-15 " total here between the past 2 storms..Temps might compress that..was thinking of doing the long walk on Toronto

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I wanted to fish Sunday before and during the storm but couldn't find any brave soles to go with me. We have had a good 15 inches of snow this week but if I have to guess, which I do, I would say with the wild winds we have right now most of the snow that was on the ice is now in my damn driveway! >:(

I blew off 6 inches yesterday and now it is all right back where I blew it from. The problem with Toronto is the long walk and because the wind direction is shifting every 15 minutes it will be hard to tell where the snow might end up. Looking on the brighter side, we had 21 here this morning and with the wind chills down in single digits we should have great ice now for a while. I just keep looking out and see the snow going sideways east to west and then 10 minutes later it is going west to east so not even worth going out to blow it off until mother nature calms down.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
SWAN LAKE FD CONTEST RESCHEDULED DATE

Saturday, February 25 at 6 AM - 3 PM

Annual ice fishing contest. Bait fish available for sale, food an refreshments all day, registration begins at 5:30 am day of. $10 for adults

https://www.facebook.com/events/249658178819158/

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
Are they going to allow quads to be used at the park like previous years

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
There's low wind today and tomorrow AM. Tomorrow, I'm hoping to drive up from Westchester to fish SB. Hopefully there will be some reports today. I fished it a few years ago when we had no ice down here, but I don't really know it at all. We did okay with barely legal crappies and short eyes not too far from the boat ramp (the one that when you face the water when on the ramp, the dam is to the left). One day on Sodom just isn't enough for me. I'm going nuts. So any ice reports today will very appreciated and please feel to PM me with any tips. I'll be taking a newbie for his first time on the ice. Thanks, all, in advance.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Haven't seen any eyes come out of SWB this year. Plenty of crappies around in schools. I would suggest you fish north of the launch, haven't heard much about anything south of it. The crappie in the lake are pretty textbook: find the structure and you'll find the fish.

Offline Ice Wine

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SWB - If you go out from the launch, turn right and walk until you're in front of the third house--with a red deck and white railings--there is drop off about 200 feet from shore. Don't fish there, it sucks. Really thought I was onto something when I found that drop off but all I ended up with Saturday was a couple pickerel and two perch so small to call them dinks would be bragging.

Also have not caught a walleye out of there through the ice in three years and have stayed out past dark waiting for them too many times.

I love that lake but since the drawdown it just hasn't been the same. Okay crappie fishing now and then but perch and walleye seem hard to come by anymore.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SWB - If you go out from the launch, turn right and walk until you're in front of the third house--with a red deck and white railings--there is drop off about 200 feet from shore. Don't fish there, it sucks. Really thought I was onto something when I found that drop off but all I ended up with Saturday was a couple pickerel and two perch so small to call them dinks would be bragging.

Also have not caught a walleye out of there through the ice in three years and have stayed out past dark waiting for them too many times.

I love that lake but since the drawdown it just hasn't been the same. Okay crappie fishing now and then but perch and walleye seem hard to come by anymore.

I believe I saw you out there last Saturday as I was making my way onto the lake. Dropoffs are good spots early season, but at this point now, the crappies are settling into basins. Best advice for crappie fishing would be to keep moving until you find fish. Mid season, crappies tend to stay in a certain area, and not move too far from it.

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks all. The DEC map shows two boat launches. I think I parked at the more northern one of the two. Is that the one being referred to?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thanks all. The DEC map shows two boat launches. I think I parked at the more northern one of the two. Is that the one being referred to?

I'm pretty sure there is only one public launch now and it is just past where Gregory Road intersects with Starlight drive.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Canoejon

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks all. We'll save a few for you.

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Due to open water on Highland Lake, the Mahogany Ridge Hunting and Fishing Clubs Ice Fishing Contest has been cancelled this Saturday February 18th.
The club will still be holding the raffles at Sand Beach, so feel free to stop by and enjoy a nice day of camaraderie!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
My son and I fished swinging bridge today. we were just north of the launch by about 100yards. the snow wasn't that tough on me but I didn't want to push a five year old. felt good to fish there again, haven't in a while. We had a 19 inch snot rocket and a nice smally. Had a few lookers jigging, but only one light  bite. One guy had 2 nice perch and another had a few crappie. Hope I can hit on a solo outing and fish some of my old spots.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.