New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095762 times)

Offline Chaz13

• IceShanty Rookie
Yes snow starting at 6pm tonight. Also so far Hurleyville FD still has their contest on Morningside Sat morning.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
On second thought, the steady dropping pressure for tomorrow looks great..... can't seem to make up my mind....  ;D

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
On second thought, the steady dropping pressure for tomorrow looks great..... can't seem to make up my mind....  ;D

I will TRY to get over to the SWB public launch and give you a report about the parking area later this afternoon.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be in Livingston Maonor in a few hours....will post then....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gammy, elevation totals didnt vary due to the temps being low everywhere. Not like a lower area started as rain and higher elevations started with snow. Then you have variation. I'm farther north than those locations you mentioned and a higher elevation, only 6-8". If watched any radar or news, the storm was farther south as a coastal storm. Heck, Danbury ct. with an elevation of of 0 to 100 received 15".

Of course you are right but I am speaking more generally about how the snows here normally happen. These past few storms have been a bit different in that they do tend to go more coastal than what has normally been the case. It is very typical for Monticello to get hammered and Middletown to get nothing. Likewise I have left my house with nothing happening and half way up to Big Pond ran into a major snow storm.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I will TRY to get over to the SWB public launch and give you a report about the parking area later this afternoon.

I appreciate the help, thank you so much.

Offline fowlhookedny

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm in Livingston Manor, and we only got about 8 inches.  A little further west in Roscoe got around 10-11 inches.  I can't imagine big pond got much more than we did here. 

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 Basser just go for it , and when you get to the parking lot ....if it's not plowed,  just gun it. I'm sure there will be someone there with a truck and a chain to pull you ;D out

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Basser just go for it , and when you get to the parking lot ....if it's not plowed,  just gun it. I'm sure there will be someone there with a truck and a chain to pull you ;D out

Gotta risk it for a biscuit  ;D I better catch them good tomorrow then haha

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just got back from SWB. Good news NYBasser, the lot is plowed fine but the entrance into the lot has some snow from the regular road plowing but you should not have a problem. Even better news is that the snow has mostly blown off the ice and you will want kreepers with you.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just got back from SWB. Good news NYBasser, the lot is plowed fine but the entrance into the lot has some snow from the regular road plowing but you should not have a problem. Even better news is that the snow has mostly blown off the ice and you will want kreepers with you.

Thank you very much, again. Not sure how I can repay you for the help..... well, I sent you a PM regarding spots/structure on SWB

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the report Gamalot, it definitely helps to know the conditions before driving there for 2 hours. I usually fish Superior but thinking of trying SWB tomorrow for the first time. Is the boat launch right off Gregory road? Thanks again!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The boat launch is off Plank road which is also called Starlight drive. Tell me where you are coming from and I can give directions. From route 17B it is caller Starlight drive or road and from route 42 it is called Plank road but it is all the same road that travels along the east shore. I just looked on my map and Yes, Gregory road is right where the launch is.

Offline yuranB

• IceShanty Rookie
The boat launch is off Plank road which is also called Starlight drive. Tell me where you are coming from and I can give directions. From route 17B it is caller Starlight drive or road and from route 42 it is called Plank road but it is all the same road that travels along the east shore. I just looked on my map and Yes, Gregory road is right where the launch is.
Yea, thats the 1 i see on my fishing guide map for SWB, just wanted to make sure that 1 is plowed. Its also showing me another boat launch on the west side further north. Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yea, thats the 1 i see on my fishing guide map for SWB, just wanted to make sure that 1 is plowed. Its also showing me another boat launch on the west side further north. Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!

YUP! That launch is also on plank road and there is a reason for that. SWB used to be just the Mongaup river before they built the dam and there was a bridge connecting east plank to west plank.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
I saw signs of people going on the ice from that northern most launch as well. With the Mongaup river coming in I would be careful. I have open water fished there but have no idea what the ice is like. Thanks again Gamalot for all your reports.

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
where can I bait  on my way to superior

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
Could anyone give me any info on kiamesha lake? There's nothin on the dec website expect for that its ice fishable. I drive by it a lot and I'm interested in fishing it. So couple anyone tell me what kind of fish are in there? Is it worth fishing? Are there deeper parts of the lake that hold more fish? (Even tho it's small)

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular

Superior has been kind of slow for me, had a couple nice sized gills last time out, but that was it. Anyways, you can get bait at either Sports Nuts or Monticello Farm Home & Garden. Both places carry live bait that should suit your needs.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Could anyone give me any info on kiamesha lake? There's nothin on the dec website expect for that its ice fishable. I drive by it a lot and I'm interested in fishing it. So couple anyone tell me what kind of fish are in there? Is it worth fishing? Are there deeper parts of the lake that hold more fish? (Even tho it's small)

Back in the early 1970s I caddied on the Concord golf course. Kiamesha was private and stocked with trout for the Concord guests. Sorry I can't give any more details because although I do live close I have never wet a line in it. I do see people fishing there but if the trout are still in it it is not listed as an ice fishing legal trout water. I would suspect it has the standard warm water fish like most of the others near here. I might have to do an exploration run over there this spring with my kayak equipped with sonar just to be able to answer a few of these questions. If I had to take a wild guess I would say between 20 - 30 feet deep max.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
didnt go out but ice is good....a few out.....looks like most of that white crap has blown to the shoreline.....let you know tomorrow night how we did ..... good luck !!!!!

Offline MarkBJ3

• IceShanty Rookie
Fished Kiamesha a few times. Some nice perch but few and far between, mostly small ones. Have caught small crappies, all under 9", pickerel and bass. Have heard of eels and walleye, taken from there about 15-20 years ago.

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
i'm looking for info on lake onteora in ulster co. there was 8" of safe ice last week. the problem is the gate was locked at the entrance making a very long sled pull down the hill. does anyone know if the gate is still locked ? thanks.

Offline TrueNorth

• IceShanty Rookie
As long as there is snow on the ground the gate will be locked. The idea behind this is to prevent vehicles getting stuck on the hill.
I fish because I have to......in order to keep my sanity!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Local Bait shops ...Call for times some will not be open early .

Toms 729 Prosperous Valley Rd, Middletown, NY 10940
Phone: (845) 733-4642

Sports nuts   Address: 250 Rock Hill Dr, Rock Hill, NY 12775
Phone: (845) 794-2000

Monticello Farm Home & Garden
 420 Route 17B, Monticello, NY 12701
Tel: 845-794-6457 | Fax: 845-794-6459 | 

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
forgive my lingo ignorance, what body of water  is SWB?
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
SWinging Bridge    Reservoir in Sullivan County
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hit SWB Res today for 4 hrs, from 11 am to 3 pm. Extremely nice day out with very mild weather, bunch of people out fishing and running around on ATVs and snowmobiles. Ice was roughly 9-10inches thick, anywhere from 1/2 to 3 inches of snow on top. Edges were fine, a little bit of water on top. Launch area parking had little to no snow left. First hole I drilled and fished for 20 mins had no luck. Started contemplating about switching to Superior.... glad I didn't. Hit the motherload on the second hole I drilled in a different spot. Had schools of Crappie come in waves, every 5-10 mins. Caught a bunch jigging, and kept 9 for the table. Also managed a decent bluegill, and a small bass that went back. Glad to say it was definitely worth the 2.5 hr drive up. Big thanks again to Gamalot for checking out the conditions of the lake. and launch.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
By the way, Monticello Farm Home and Garden was out of waxies, they only had superworms and mealworms in stock.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
You guys are killing me.   We have no safe ice here in Dutchess.   I'm living vicariously through you all!!!

Lol
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.