New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095902 times)

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
dinks ...looks like a complicated process for getting your dropbox photos to appear as an image as opposed to a link ...changing  so coded text in the link etc. Although Photo Bucket can be challenging at time it seems the best for me  and others.
Agree, I uninstalled dropbox, I figure if I had to ask here and the program is cpmplicated why bother with it..unistalled not to bother with dropbox anymore. Any app that is not user friendly I just trash lol.. no big deal..I don't trust or care for apps on my dumb phone either,,just a power drain..less apps the better imho.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Of course things change, but 20 years ago SWB was some body of water. I think when it was drained it really put a hurting on it. I would love to see them do a little stocking including some more hybrid stripers. You guys ever fish towards the dam?

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Of course things change, but 20 years ago SWB was some body of water. I think when it was drained it really put a hurting on it. I would love to see them do a little stocking including some more hybrid stripers. You guys ever fish towards the dam?
from seeing contour depths from boat and trying it down by dam, i can't see it good choice for ice fishing ( basically not practical method lining 60 ft plus not good for fishing and too deep for ice tackle. also last to freeze that side of res. If it were stocked with striper hybrids i doubt nys has any interest in any hybrids.. What these officials should do is manage walleye reproduction and stock like they do up in Oneida using the same strain from they get from the lk. Think for now it best to release the big females over 24"..actually don't savor the taste or texture of the meat from  them any larger than 23" for eats.. these fish take years,they live long like twenty years so they are likely to have higher levels of contaminants compared to their smaller cousins having shorter life span and less concentrated contaminants. Fish are what they eat,, think of them like batterys getting charged with toxins, the longer they live the higher the concentration of toxins. Same with sea food or any meat. Best tasting walleye are actually 15 inch 17in lol.. but the state don't want you to eat them safer tastery fish! ! lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Right before the drain SWB had a small snip it/write up in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life...stating it was turning into quite a walleye fishery ..then the big draw down .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Swinging Bridge, Mongaup Falls and the Rio are all the Mongaup river with dams. Any fish in SB can migrate down river to Mongaup Falls and the Rio and then to the Delaware. Some years back, maybe 15-20, they did stock SB with both Hybrid Stripers and some kind of hybrid Musky. I have heard of a few guys that caught the stripers but no one who ever caught the musky types. If you check the DEC stocking page it says they stocked 8700 Walleyes in Rio in 2015.

What we all have to understand is that we are at the lower latitudes of the Walleye range here in Sullivan county and they do much better the further north we travel. Much the same as Moose that just don't travel this far south because they get eaten to death by ticks twice as bad as they do up north.

What I don't know regarding these Hybrid fishes is if they are even capable of natural reproduction. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Yeah not much interest in fishing towards dam either, I was just glad it wasn't actually open water. I think a lot of eyes were taken when it was drained. I heard tails of guys sneaking in on pools and just hammering them. I also did some work on the mongaup at the north end in late march during the drain. I saw eagles grab quite a few eyes. Hybrid stripers don't spawn, thats a drawback.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Well the snow is done ...dropped 8-9 inches of fluffy snow in lower Sullivan Co...winds going to be 20 + MPH for several hours ...then diminishing overnight ...23F now ...dropping to the low teens for the overnight .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hopefully a bit will blow right off! Sure is light enough.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hopefully a bit will blow right off! Sure is light enough.

Thinking about hitting SWB on Saturday. Hopefully the roads will be clear, would suck to get stuck lol...

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thinking about hitting SWB on Saturday. Hopefully the roads will be clear, would suck to get stuck lol...

SWB is in Forestburgh. We had a foot of snow on the ground by 1:00 PM today and it is 4:00 now and the roads are clear! I can't say what the parking at the launch might be like but you will get to it for sure.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Great to hear, thanks! Now, hoping that the snow on the ice blows off, or else its gonna be a pain hiking through it....

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Great to hear, thanks! Now, hoping that the snow on the ice blows off, or else its gonna be a pain hiking through it....

Yup! Forestburgh does a great job on the roads but not a darn thing on the ice. If the winds of change will get the ice cleared then we will be good to go. If not then I will hope to find a much younger fishing mate to help drag all the gear. I can't tell you how many times I dragged all my stuff to the far side of the lake and on the way back saw the guys fishing right off the landing did way better then I did. We all need to keep in mind they call it fishing instead of Catching and being in the right place at the right time with the right bait or lure is the key to success. Some days you can't buy a bite and other days you didn't bring enough bait. I can't tell you all how many times my buddy caught fish all day from his drilled hole and my drilled hole 50 feet away and the same depth never got a bite using the exact same bait.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Do you park at the launch basser? Might go there Sat. afternoon Looks to be a warm day.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Do you park at the launch basser? Might go there Sat. afternoon Looks to be a warm day.

Yeah that's where I normally park, don't really know of anywhere else to do so. Currently debating if I should go this weekend or the next. Just picked up my first shanty, a Shappell DX3000 on sale at Fish & Stream for $207 with free shipping, but it won't be here till next week.....

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yup! Forestburgh does a great job on the roads but not a darn thing on the ice. If the winds of change will get the ice cleared then we will be good to go. If not then I will hope to find a much younger fishing mate to help drag all the gear. I can't tell you how many times I dragged all my stuff to the far side of the lake and on the way back saw the guys fishing right off the landing did way better then I did. We all need to keep in mind they call it fishing instead of Catching and being in the right place at the right time with the right bait or lure is the key to success. Some days you can't buy a bite and other days you didn't bring enough bait. I can't tell you all how many times my buddy caught fish all day from his drilled hole and my drilled hole 50 feet away and the same depth never got a bite using the exact same bait.

I totally agree. Always should be open-minded and optimistic, as you never know when the bite may turn on. But once you factor out all the skill, equipment, and knowledge, sometimes fishing really just comes down to dumb luck.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Being there is half of it. If I'm not on the ice I don't learn. The shelter helps on nasty days.  Don't think you will need shelter Sat. It will be in the forties with light winds.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Being there is half of it. If I'm not on the ice I don't learn. The shelter helps on nasty days.  Don't think you will need shelter Sat. It will be in the forties with light winds.

Yeah Saturday is definitely going to be nice out. Not so much the weather that is deterring me, but the drive. 120 miles, 2hr 20mins...... puts a hurting on the car and gas. I drive an awd bmw, aka not a truck, so if the parking lot isn't cleared, it could also pose as a problem. Guess, I'll just go flip a coin or something...  ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Greenwood lake is a better walleye fishery than SWB imo and its further south.... location doesn't mean as much for species of fish as structure and forage does along with where NYS decides to stock.... walleyes do so good in oneida because its a big lake with an amazing amount of forage in the lake and they are one of the top predators in there.... lakes with a lot of "warm water" species hurt the walleye population because they compete for a lot of the same food. I'm actually surprised GWL is as good as it is with all the muskies in there.... the next best thing to oneida is chaumont or the St. Lawrence river.

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hear ya there basser, long way to come if you can't park. The being there comment was more about the shanty you bought. It is easy to be there when you have a little cover on bad days. I have even been known to take a little snooz on long days in my shanty.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Greenwood lake is a better walleye fishery than SWB imo and its further south.... location doesn't mean as much for species of fish as structure and forage does along with where NYS decides to stock.... walleyes do so good in oneida because its a big lake with an amazing amount of forage in the lake and they are one of the top predators in there.... lakes with a lot of "warm water" species hurt the walleye population because they compete for a lot of the same food. I'm actually surprised GWL is as good as it is with all the muskies in there.... the next best thing to oneida is chaumont or the St. Lawrence river.

We have a decent Walleye population down on the island at Ronkonkoma, just that the lake rarely does freeze over...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
How much snow did you guys get north of Monticello ?

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
We had eight inches in Callicoon.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
North of Monticello? Fallsburgh, Woodburne, Grahamsville? I am south of Monticello in Forestburgh and got right around a foot. A buddy in Grahamsville said he got right around the same but up the mountain north of Grahamsville toward Claryville got a couple more inches.

I suspect west of Monticello toward Livingston Manor and Big Pond probably got more like 15 inches from this storm but can't reach a buddy up there yet to know for sure.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
We had eight inches in Callicoon.

Same down in lower Sullivan as well lucky it is powder. Lot of drifting during the overnight though.

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
My back sidewalk looked like I didn't clean it yesterday. Hopefully it took some off the lakes.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Where exactly you are in Sullivan County has a lot to do with the snow totals you got. My home is at 1500 feet above sea level and about the same elevation as Monticello. If I go down the mountain to Cuddebackville it is almost 1,000 feet lower and did not get the snow total we got up here. My brother lives in Yankee Lake and just about the same elevation and got about the same snow total. I hate snow and even more so when it is on the ice making for hard dragging of the shanty. It was windy last night but I doubt it took much of the snow off the lakes as I had hoped. I'll be very happy to be surprised and see SWB or some of the other lakes with glare ice for this weekend.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another 1-3 inches of snow reported tonight for Sullivan... looks like I'll pass for this weekend. Good luck to anyone who is going out.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gammy, elevation totals didnt vary due to the temps being low everywhere. Not like a lower area started as rain and higher elevations started with snow. Then you have variation. I'm farther north than those locations you mentioned and a higher elevation, only 6-8". If watched any radar or news, the storm was farther south as a coastal storm. Heck, Danbury ct. with an elevation of of 0 to 100 received 15".

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Another 1-3 inches of snow reported tonight for Sullivan... looks like I'll pass for this weekend. Good luck to anyone who is going out.

Not seeing that 1-3 for tonight.... warm for tomorrow 42F ....Sunday looks to be a bit of a mix bag though WU reporting 3-5 for Sunday ...

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Not seeing that 1-3 for tonight.... warm for tomorrow 42F ....Sunday looks to be a bit of a mix bag though WU reporting 3-5 for Sunday ...

TWC reporting 1-3 tonight for Bethel, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.