New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1095878 times)

Offline dinks

• IceShanty Rookie
Here is the latest from my neck of Sullivan county. I went to Swinging Bridge and there are guys fishing. Not sure I would drive a machine over the new shore line ice but it is good for walking over from the boat launch.

Superior looks good to go and there were guys out there and the same for White Lake. I couldn't get up to Toronto because they had the road blocked doing repairs and I could not wait but one of the road crew guys said it was not quite ready yet but could be OK by the weekend. It is 26 here in Forestburgh now at 2:25 PM Friday Feb. 3rd and should go down to near 10 tonight. Just be careful if you are running heavy machines to drag your stuff.

I did not drill any holes but suspect the ice away from the shorelines is fine and just a light snow cover in most places.
it is freezing shoreline should be fine won't be long

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
Anybody in here ever fish waneta lake over by Livingston manor?  Looking to try somewhere new this weekend..

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anybody in here ever fish waneta lake over by Livingston manor?  Looking to try somewhere new this weekend..

Shallow pickerel lake and they all are about the same size 15-17 inches the one time I fished it back some years ago. I am sure there are pan fish and perch but the slime darts kept us busy.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
Shallow pickerel lake and they all are about the same size 15-17 inches the one time I fished it back some years ago. I am sure there are pan fish and perch but the slime darts kept us busy.
I guess I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow.  I've fished it a few times in the summer and caught a few pickerel and bass.  Hopefully I can stay away from them and get into some panfosh

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'll be out tomorrow morning on Superior. Past few times out playing the "sit and wait" game didn't produce too much. Going to try some new tactics.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
I'll be out tomorrow morning on Superior. Past few times out playing the "sit and wait" game didn't produce too much. Going to try some new tactics.

FTR I've tried the wait and sit game ...that isn't Panfishing out to well either   ;D ;D . The majority of fish I believe are in the early ice or just starting the mid season migration into the basin area ....so spread out over the flats that hard to pin point a game plan/strategy
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gunna head over to Sodom pre dawn. Holding to maybe hook some........ Anything. Well maybe the walleye will be cruising. That would be awesome. Some jumbo yp. Awesome. A school of whites... Pretty sweet. Some trout... Oh yeah awesome.
Gunna freak fish out through the ice this year

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
FTR I've tried the wait and sit game ...that isn't Panfishing out to well either   ;D ;D . The majority of fish I believe are in the early ice or just starting the mid season migration into the basin area ....so spread out over the flats that hard to pin point a game plan/strategy

My plan is to drill a bunch of holes and hop around until I find fish..... with enough holes, it'd be near impossible not to find them :)

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
My plan is to drill a bunch of holes and hop around until I find fish..... with enough holes, it'd be near impossible not to find them :)
When I don't use tip ups, I keep moving until I find fish. You would also be suprised how many times I have worked through an area  only to come back around to it at dark and catch a bunch of fish. Good luck. Me and the boy are going to hit swan lake tomorrow for a youth fishing contest.

Offline NYBasser

• Team IceShanty Regular
When I don't use tip ups, I keep moving until I find fish. You would also be suprised how many times I have worked through an area  only to come back around to it at dark and catch a bunch of fish. Good luck. Me and the boy are going to hit swan lake tomorrow for a youth fishing contest.

Yeah the tip-ups really limited my range the last time. Thanks, best of luck to you guys as well.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Larger flats = more spacing between holes .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gravity Pilot

• IceShanty Rookie

Good luck! I was out there today, same as the last 3 trips to Superior! Marked fish all day it won't commit to bite. I tried fast slow big small different colors, various depths... I can't figure it out?! I can pull them up 3-5' off the bottom but the bite has been slow to nonexistent. I'm gunna try a few other spots see what happens. Good luck

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Been getting a lot of action on my tip downs set up for pan fish ...but upon setting the hook...their on ...but off ...and barely taking any line out to boot...defiantly a head scratcher. Its like they are sucking the minnow head and not getting to the hook ...small minnows and new Mr Crappie TruTurn hooks.... ??? ??? ???

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Been getting a lot of action on my tip downs set up for pan fish ...but upon setting the hook...their on ...but off ...and barely taking any line out to boot...defiantly a head scratcher. Its like they are sucking the minnow head and not getting to the hook ...small minnows and new Mr Crappie TruTurn hooks.... ??? ??? ???

ditch the minnows and throw some grubs on... that way they don't just grab the minnow and run they actually have to bite the hook so to speak

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
Beachwood.....you wanna check that...someone said today youth contest was cancelled.....not sure .....

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks for the heads up Trapper. I have a 5 year raring to go as well as his friend, so since there is safe ice we will  go anyway. You know when I get lookers I have had luck with changing to a small ratso or simular jig, tipped with a  spike or half a mealworm or waxie, very little movement. I have even had luck at those times with a small wet fly or a small weighted panny popper.

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
23 1/2" walleye Sodom just now. Pictures to follow. First walleye
 my heart is beating out of its chest

Offline GreekUPS

• IceShanty Rookie
23 1/2" walleye Sodom just now. Pictures to follow. First walleye
 my heart is beating out of its chest

Congrats!!!!  How much ice?

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nils made quick work if it . Didn't really check. I'm 300 lbs. Prob 8"

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular

this beast weighed in at 6lbs. first walleye ever. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Great looking fish..   Congratulations.  ...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Perchface, very nice walleye! Congratulations!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Very nice walleye  :flex: :clap: :thumbsup: :woot: :bow:

Offline Wille

• IceShanty Rookie
Awesome walleye congrats !!! Did you jig it up, or tip up,, Perchface  ??
Wille

Offline GordonL

• IceShanty Rookie
Congrats on a great walleye Perchface!

Offline PerchFace

• Team IceShanty Regular
on a tip-up with a large shiner in about 17' of water around 7:30 am. that's all the info. go get em!
yeahhhhhh baaaaabbbbbyyy

Offline jwaldman

• IceShanty Rookie
I'm a Long Islander and want to ice fish tomorrow but don't want to waste a drive if there isn't good ice.

Anyone look at northern Westchester today? King Lumber or Plum Brook on Muscoot? Is there really 8 inches at Sodom? Elsewhere?

Thanks much!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Beautiful eye, congrats. 
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice eye! congrats

Offline Fishcicle

• IceShanty Rookie